• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    At least we got sugary drinks back!

Spectacular. Now, can I get back shooting my pellet gun in the backyard? There is plenty more we need to get back too. It is going to be one heck of a refund. Saddest part about it is that I moved here after you all had already elected him. Had no idea what I was getting myself into. Should have done more research. lol

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Spectacular. Now, can I get back shooting my pellet gun in the backyard? There is plenty more we need to get back too. It is going to be one heck of a refund. Saddest part about it is that I moved here after you all had already elected him. Had no idea what I was getting myself into. Should have done more research. lol

If your basement range has access to a window and your target just happens to be outside that window TECHNICALLY you ARE shooting in your basement range. :innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If your basement range has access to a window and your target just happens to be outside that window TECHNICALLY you ARE shooting in your basement range. :innocent0

Hmmmmmmmmmm, so if I am shooting 1,000 yards from inside my basement, across 3 other properties, at a target I have placed on another property I own, I should be all good because heck, I am shooting from inside my basement range.

Yeah, I'd prefer not to have to try that argument in front of a judge. Guessing the judge would not find it very humorous.

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    look up the regs for a certified range. you need handicapped parking and bathroom facilities...at your house. there are a lot of other hoops if I recall correctly

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Just buy a hunting license and you can shoot all day during hunting season.

Is there a law against hunting squirrels with a 30-06?

And AK-47s do a bang up job on rabbits.

And things like groundhogs you can shoot all throughout the year. And no license for that I don't believe.

Wear some camo and let the lead fly.

Just as long as you're "hunting" of course.....:innocent0

I think the only issue here is that the only weapon for hunting, other then a Bow or Crossbow in Howard County is a shotgun!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think the only issue here is that the only weapon for hunting, other then a Bow or Crossbow in Howard County is a shotgun!

That is not true. That is also where being inside or outside the Metropolitan District matters.

Sec. 8.403. - Special provisions for hunting.
    (a) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a gun if the hunter:
    (1) Is lawfully hunting outside the Metropolitan District:
    (i) On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii) On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and
    (2) Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.
    (b) Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a shotgun if the hunter:
    (1) Is lawfully hunting on not less than ten acres inside the Metropolitan District:
    (i) On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii) On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and
    (2) Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.
    (c)(1)(i) The safety zone is the area consisting of 150 yards around a facility.
    (ii) Without written permission of the property owner, a person shall not discharge a gun within, from, onto, or across a safety zone.
    (2) Whenever a person discharges a gun, the person shall:
    (i) Ensure that the projectile has a downward trajectory;
    (ii) Be sure that the discharge is towards a safe, visible backstop; or
    (iii) Use a shotgun that contains only shot.
    (d) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, a person has committed a class a offense under title 24, subtitle 1 of the Howard County Code if the person discharges a gun and a projectile from the gun damages a facility or personal property, including pets and livestock, regardless of whether the person has complied with all other provisions of this section.

Note the distinction between gun and shotgun depending on whether you are outside or inside the Metropolitan District. Now, Md. DNR regulations prohibits the use of rifles for deer hunting in Howard County, but I don't believe it has anything that prevents the use of rifles on groundhogs, foxes, coyotes, squirrels, rabbits, etc.

mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Hey Howard County Residents and fellow 2A supporters......did you know that in 2009 under the Ken Ulman regime, a county law was passed making ALL target shooting in Howard County Illegal? Its true, check out County law Sec. 8.401. You cannot discharge ANY firearm in the entire county other than for lawful hunting or at a certified range. This means that all of you who have farms and enjoy plinking with 22's or sighting in your shotgun, or occasionally breaking clays are all breaking the law!

Found this out the hard way a week ago when we had a run in with DNR and Howard County PD while shooting shotguns on a large farm.

Please write your county council members and Allan Kittleman and lets get this thing repealed!

to find out who your rep is, click below.

http://cc.howardcountymd.gov/Districts
    Just skimming this thread. My wife and I recently moved back to MoCo from Los Angeles. I joined Gilbert Range and the Rockville IWLA to have a couple close places to shoot. But as we think about where to buy, I'd really like to get 2-5 wooded acres to have a place to plink, or setup berms, or at least be able to airgun shoot. Sounds like none of that is allowed in HoCo, which surprised me. I think even MoCo allows small cal and bb gun in some unincorporated areas. I always thought HoCo was less restrictive than MoCo.

Any recommendations for best county for 2A and shooters? I work in Rockville and my wife works in Baltimore, so we have some flexibility.

Thanks!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Just skimming this thread. My wife and I recently moved back to MoCo from Los Angeles. I joined Gilbert Range and the Rockville IWLA to have a couple close places to shoot. But as we think about where to buy, I'd really like to get 2-5 wooded acres to have a place to plink, or setup berms, or at least be able to airgun shoot. Sounds like none of that is allowed in HoCo, which surprised me. I think even MoCo allows small cal and bb gun in some unincorporated areas. I always thought HoCo was less restrictive than MoCo.

Any recommendations for best county for 2A and shooters? I work in Rockville and my wife works in Baltimore, so we have some flexibility.

Thanks!

Carroll County

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Thanks!

Carroll County followed by Frederick County with you working in Rockville and your wife working in Baltimore.

Like you, I always thought Howard County was less restrictive than Montgomery County. Moved to Howard County in 2011 and found out that was no longer the case. Kind of pissed me off. So, after much debate and with the kids doing well in school here, we have decided to buy a larger house here and then look for land/farmhouse in north Carroll, north Frederick, PA, or elsewhere. Would really like to buy something on the eastern shore, but with 4 kids, the drive would be too much just to hunt a day or two, and I hate not being with my family at night. Two long term goals are pretty much set in stone now.

Good luck on your search for a new place.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Thanks!

The best county in Maryland for 2A is in West Virginia, Virginia, or PA. But WV or VA is closer.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Carroll County is out.

We are not accepting new residents from other Maryland Counties.

Fix your own county.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Carroll County for sure. We welcome you. We need more 2A & hunting supporters, the snowflake anti’s are leaving crime-burbia in record numbers and landing in my beloved county. In the last 5 years alone I’ve seen more anti-hunting & 2A editorials in the Times and anti-signs in yards and on cars than ever before. More Obama 2008 and Hillary stickers than should be. In my youth, these a**holes would never have had the guts to display that stuff - our rednecks would’ve let’s say... “discouraged” such activity.

Come on by, for now it’s still a great place to live. And if you have kids the school system is 2nd to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom