• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Is there a range of rds thru a glock that might indicate wear on parts that require replacement? Tires, 35k mi, wiggly pin, 85k mi on a car.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    One of the Austrian military's initial requirements required, "No more than 20 malfunctions are permitted during the first 10,000 rounds fired, not even minor jams that can be cleared without the use of any tools."

The next: "After firing 15,000 rounds of standard ammunition, the pistol will be inspected for wear. The pistol will then be used to fire an overpressure test cartridge generating 5,000 bar (500 MPa; 73,000 psi) (the normal maximum operating pressure Pmax for the 9 mm NATO is rated at 2,520 bar (252 MPa; 36,500 psi).[9] The critical components must continue to function properly and be up to specifications, otherwise the pistol will be disqualified."

It is also known that Glocks perform better after a few hundred rounds. The trigger gets noticeably smoother, too.

It took me a while to warm up to my first, but it will definitely be my go to gun in an emergency.

Not meeting these requirements would have disqualified the pistol and the Glock 17 is the only one tested that passed.

I would interpret that to mean that no parts should need replacing during that period of testing.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'm coming up on 20,000 rounds through my gen4 Glock 19. I replaced the recoil spring assembly some time ago, as that finally started to fail. I'm probably going to replace the extractor and spring soon, as I've been getting occasional stovepipes and those are a likely culprit. I get a lot more failures with 115gr ammo than 124 or 147, so I don't use that much anymore. Not sure what that could be an indication of, beyond the 115s being plinking ammo. Probably slightly weak to begin with.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I never counted rounds through any of my guns

Just normal cleaning and function checks. Replace broken and worn parts as necessary to maintain or improve accuracy.

And I always train for clearing a FTF or FTE because it is not a question of if they will happen but when they will happen.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Is it a bet your life on it carry gun or self defense gun or a sport run and gun firearm?

Most firearms have have a suggested round limit for replacing parts, usually springs. Some recommendations are for specific use such as LE or military and may be a CYA suggestion.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Which model/caliber and do you shoot a lot of +p?

I am speaking of a G33. 357 sig. No +p avail and i don’t shhot hotter than speeror fed laods. Sometimes i use a 9mm lone wolf barrel and shoot 124 gr std velocit6 for practice. So i may shoot a lot but nothing unusual.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I send mine back to Glock for a full rebuild every ten magazines. Every five magazines I have an certified armorer inspect and replace what is needed.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you’re near either Atlantic Guns location swing by when they have their Glock Days. The factory guy will inspect it for free. He popped a new recoil spring in my G17 no charge and gave it a quick once over.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I send mine back to Glock for a full rebuild every ten magazines. Every five magazines I have an certified armorer inspect and replace what is needed.

I read this severla times, and it keeps,reading that every 10 mags (150-200 rds ??) you have your sidearm rebuilt by glock? Not to sound rude, but really?

Bluemax

Member in good standing
    Jun 12, 2010
    southern maryland
    My uncle had a glock 19 that they used at the police academy for training that had 300K rounds thru it and only had the trigger return spring fail, recoil spring was swapped every 5K.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    At first I was horrified, then I remembered that we live in Maryland, so those are 10 round magazines, not 15. I was getting nervous at your extended interval between rebuilds. 100 rounds is about upper limit.

You should take an armorer's course and save the money on inspections thou... come on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have seen competitor's G34s run for years at 10K+ per year, maybe needing a recoil spring every couple years when ejection gets erratic, but that's about it, rarely cleaned, often lubed. Much depends on what conditions it is run in, ammo caliber/type and lube, might have problems and bad parts out of the box, might not have to change anything for tens of thousands of rounds. Just replace what breaks when it breaks, which is a rarity, and usually after you have spent several times the value of the pistol on ammo. If you are confident dissasembling a GLOCK, and shoot a lot, then a spare trigger bar/ejector/connector housing assm , striker assm, and recoil spring are relatively cheap, and can be swapped in a couple minutes at the range.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    when I was shooting glocks I replaced recoil spring and striker spring every off season. every 7k-10k rounds. other than that I just cleaned it when i felt like it which was not often. Ran like a top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom