• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Saw the 4pm show at Columbia. In a few words: excellent, heart breaking, very personal, ghastly at times, funny at times. No tactics, no grand strategies, just a focus on personal experiences.

All of the movie audio is actual recordings of WW1 vets telling their stories to the Imperial War Museum back in the '50s - '70s.

Be sure to stay for a 30-minute after-show narrated by Peter Jackson detailing how they did it, especially the sound effects of the cannon fire.

BTW, lots of Lewis guns :-)

Just got back from the 7pm show, good summation, everything was done so well and really an amazing way to tell the story of what a lot of those guys went through.

Totally agree it’s definitely worth it to stay for the after show, that was much cooler than I was expecting. Hope it comes out on dvd in the future I would definitely watch it again

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Good movie and a great time with my boy.

15 and very bright with a strong interest in US history.
    5 Guys afterwards and nice discussion on the ride home.

The personal narrations telling the timeline from enlisting to coming home were moving.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Just got back from watching with the son. Sobering and a good look at the realities of a truly ghastly war. PJ was definitely the right man for this film though!

FYI if anyone is planning on seeing this showing the 27th avoid the Dover Mall :/ The movie started a half an hour late they failed to hand out 3D glasses to a number of people and the image was shifted off onto the matting by 8 to 10 in in one direction the entire film even after we told them before they started

All that being said those things faded to the back of my mind once they shifted into color... really impressive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Be sure to listen to the (very-cleaned-up) lyrics to "Mademoiselle from Armentières" played over the closing credits, performed with enthusiasm by members of the local British consulate (Christchurch? Wellington?). My favorite verse contained the line "she moved her bum like a Maxim gun". :-)

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Saw it at the 7pm show in Hagerstown with my soon to be 16 year old. Struck a couple nerves when they were talking about the youngsters that were told to walk outside the recruiting office and have a birthday before walking back in. Movie is drawn from 100 hours of original film and 600 hours of oral history from the 60's and 70's. Well done but felt too short. Covered civilian to soldier back to civilian from their perspective with restored and mostly colorized video.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    brilliant movie. Pop and I uses to watch World at War in the 70's when I was a kid. So, He and I ate dinner at Hard Times Cafe in RV and then to the movies 7:00 showing in RV. Then went to World of Beer afterwards. I had a wonderful night, as did he. He enjoyed it very much, as well.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've been a history buff and focused for years on WWI. Grossly under-taught in public schools. Colleges being what they are today I doubt the situation's much better there. I remember having to correct my AP History teacher about Jutland in HS! So anything that raises the awareness of the tragedy of WWI is a good thing. Me, I get p*ssed over the comments about French cowardice. Not in this war. I seriously doubt today's generation would have the fortitude to endure what these men and women did over four years. Truly the lost flower of a generation.
    I'll attend the 27th showing, assuming I can find a screen in Pittsburgh.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Got my tickets for 1pm on the 27th.

First movie I've wanted to see in years.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I saw it on the 17th. Highly recommend it if anyone is interested in the experience of the soldiers who participated.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    for the ones who will see it on the 27th. You will not be disappointed. At the end is a half hour extra on how they did what they did. Now they need to do more. This was a tease. I still watch the trailers. What was done should be used to help save more black and white old videos- heck any war films from when they were used- Spanish American war, any other wars. The fact that they were working on copies of copies of copies, the films warped and would not spool/line up properly. just awesome.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I recommend getting your tickets for the 27th in advance. My wife and I saw it on the 17th and we waited until the 17th to buy our tickets. Big mistake. We looked at 4 theaters that were sold out before we found one that had tickets left. The thing is, it is showing in limited release so there is more demand than supply. Hopefully, after their experience on the 17th, they’ll expand the number of screens for the second day. But better safe than sorry; get your tickets in advance.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I recommend getting your tickets for the 27th in advance. My wife and I saw it on the 17th and we waited until the 17th to buy our tickets. Big mistake. We looked at 4 theaters that were sold out before we found one that had tickets left. The thing is, it is showing in limited release so there is more demand than supply. Hopefully, after their experience on the 17th, they’ll expand the number of screens for the second day. But better safe than sorry; get your tickets in advance.

Ordered mine and have the email confirmation. We'll go have lunch before hand and go enjoy the movie which will let out right at "tea time", then we cruise into a nice dinner with some cold drinks. Perfect day in my mind.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It was incredible. My son and I went and saw he. He enjoyed it as well. “It made me a little bit sad, but it was also cool. And I think maybe I am going to be scared if I hear a gun shot or artillery close to me for awhile now. Also I don’t think I ever want to join the military. It would be too scary”.

I mean, he isn’t quite 11.

He then proceeded to not stop talking and asking questions the whole drive home about WWI, artillery, and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom