• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JaegerJason

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks!

Assuming you have a flat top I'll recommend what I did: Leupold VX-R patrol with good (LaRue) QD mount + folding BUIS (Larue).

Yep, flat top. Looking it that- thanks for a starting point!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    "tactical" as opposed to "hunting"? What about "target" or "action sports scopes? The term can mean so many things it's essentially meaningless. Now a 1x scope is useful as the field of view is much larger than under magnification, there is inherently less paralax, and less distortion making it easier to shoot with both eyes open. Shooting close targets fast in action sport shooting helped maked them popular, you can look at a full array of targets with both eyes, and move the reticle across targets timing shots without disorienting magnification similar to a red dot, then add magnification for further shots. While a 30mm tube might not change light transmission much compared to a 1" with equal objective lens size, with a straight tube 1X tube, the larger diameter allows a larger objective lens and more light. Reticles are largely personal preference, some have ranging features or a complex pattern, but simple crosshairs are still very popular, some may even have plain dots, triangles or chevrons like a red-dot. Turrets can be capped, or open target style, depending if you want to make adjustments while shooting, or dial it in and use holdovers.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Any suggestions for close and medium range combos? I've got a hunting rifle with a big scope for long distances. For close range I've generally just used iron sites. For an AR platform, though, I'm thinking 'shoot them over there before they get to me, but keep shooting if they make it in.' What is the best option for that? A reflex on top of a 1-5x? A laser and a scope? Most of the things I'm seeing look gimmicky, but maybe I'm just getting old.

A lot of magnification isn't needed to hit long range targets. As long as the cross hairs can quarter the target, it will work. In fact, high magnification can actually cause problems.

I'd recommend something like the Vortex PST 1-4x. You will be able to engage fast up close using the 1x due its long eye relief. No need for a red dot. The 4x will do everything you need for long range from an AR.

That's the setup I will be going to when I get the money.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Burris MTAC on one AR, with the FastFire red dot mounted above. The red dot is not easy to transition to.

I would like to put on 45 degree offset irons or mount for the FastFire.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a Burris MTAC on one AR, with the FastFire red dot mounted above. The red dot is not easy to transition to.

I would like to put on 45 degree offset irons or mount for the FastFire.

That's why I want to switch to a good 1-4x.

That should eliminate the need for any offset sights or red dots.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a 1-4x on the present carbine I have. Having used it a few times I am not totally sold on the concept for what a carbine is. A magnified optic with illiminated dot adds weight and bulk. The BUIS are just that, backups since the front sight has no clarity on even 1x. They can be used only if the scope is removed so a QD mount is required to remove it under pressure. It’s illuminated dot is good and not as susceptible to astigmatism flare as much as dot type sights, partially due to its smaller subtension. I am kind of leaning toward going back to the red dot and iron sight use. It is a carbine - short, light, fast. I have both units zero’d and they do return to zero after remounting so I’ll shoot both a few more times under varying courses of fire to determine how things work out in side by side comparisons.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's why I want to switch to a good 1-4x.

That should eliminate the need for any offset sights or red dots.

The idea is, it is quicker to rotate the rifle 45 degrees than to adjust the scope power.

If you are shooting all close targets, set to 1x. If shooting both close and far, set the scope to a reasonable power fro the farther targets, and then rotate to use offsets for close targets.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I was shooting 3-gun I routinely engaged and hit targets out to 400 yards with a 1-4x24 scope (Burris). In fact my sight in final test was 10 rounds rapid fire at 300y off a barrier. If I could not get at least 8/10 in the 10 ring I redid it. I just made sure my ammo was just right for the BDC dots on the reticle.
    You put a lever on the power dial and set it up so that when the lever is to the right all the way is 1x power and to the left its max power because you don't use anything in between. I often used the 1x reticle as a red dot shooting both eyes open like a pistol. I still mounted either offset irons (Tac Ops div.) or offset red dot (Open div.) just in case zeroed to 25 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom