• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    After ~200 rounds of ammo through my G22 Sub2k, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it currently.

Hate: it had constant jams on the first range trip. 2-3 times per magazine. Failure to feeds where the brass would angle into the chamber so hard that there would be smiley face cutouts on it.

After looking online, did a little felt polishing to the chamber and it made a huge difference. Instead of 2-3 jams per mag, it jammed 2-3 rounds per hundred. Still unacceptable but much better.

Took some wet/dry 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil to the chamber opening (as others have done online) and then polished with felt bit again - that seems to have fixed it. Have hand cycled several hundred rounds through it without a hangup and will get it back out shooting here soon.

Also, the "castle nut" type thing that keeps the back of the plastic receiver on the buffer tube came off. Turns out the nut is threaded but the plastic it connects to isnt! The threads just kind of dig in to the plastic to keep it in place.

Similar complaints online so took some loctite on the nut and tap-spun it back on the plastic. Has stayed put and doesnt seem to budge with hand pressure. Hopefully that fixed it for good.

Not horrible, but the only gun I've ever had to mess with to get working correctly. Overall construction doesn't exactly scream quality to me right now :)

Love: pretty much everything else! It's light, accurate and really fun at the range. I have a few 9mm carbines and the .40 is a bit more fun on steel (really "thunks" it, comparatively). Also love the folding feature and magazine compatibility with my Glock.

Also, those looking for an inexpensive case - the RedHead 17" pistol case fits the folded Sub 2000 like a glove - literally like it was made for it. It also has a front pouch that you can fit mags and accessories into as well (I have 7 mags, a knife, earplugs and CLP in mine).

Only problem is that Bass Pro has discontinued it. I did find it available on ebay still, though Here

Only $14.99 shipped - I'm actually going to order another one!

Last edited:

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    After ~200 rounds of ammo through my G22 Sub2k, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it currently.

Hate: it had constant jams on the first range trip. 2-3 times per magazine. Failure to feeds where the brass would angle into the chamber so hard that there would be smiley face cutouts on it.

After looking online, did a little felt polishing to the chamber and it made a huge difference. Instead of 2-3 jams per mag, it jammed 2-3 rounds per hundred. Still unacceptable but much better.

Took some wet/dry 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil to the chamber opening (as others have done online) and then polished with felt bit again - that seems to have fixed it. Have hand cycled several hundred rounds through it without a hangup and will get it back out shooting here soon.

Also, the "castle nut" type thing that keeps the back of the plastic receiver on the buffer tube came off. Turns out the nut is threaded but the plastic it connects to isnt! The threads just kind of dig in to the plastic to keep it in place.

Similar complaints online so took some loctite on the nut and tap-spun it back on the plastic. Has stayed put and doesnt seem to budge with hand pressure. Hopefully that fixed it for good.

Not horrible, but the only gun I've ever had to mess with to get working correctly. Overall construction doesn't exactly scream quality to me right now :)

Love: pretty much everything else! It's light, accurate and really fun at the range. I have a few 9mm carbines and the .40 is a bit more fun on steel (really "thunks" it, comparatively). Also love the folding feature and magazine compatibility with my Glock.

Also, those looking for an inexpensive case - the RedHead 17" pistol case fits the folded Sub 2000 like a glove - literally like it was made for it. It also has a front pouch that you can fit mags, accessories into a well (I have 7 mags, a knife, earplugs and CLP in mine).

Only problem is that Bass Pro has discontinued it. I did find it available on ebay still, though Here

Will the front pouch fit 33rd mags?

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Will the front pouch fit 33rd mags?

What is the length of the mags?

I have some of the KCI 31rd .40 mags that are just a hair under 9" in length. I can squeeze 2 of them in lengthwise at the bottom of the pouch, below where the zipper starts (where there is a little more give to the material).

They wont fit where the zipper starts, though - not enough give to the material. If the Glock mags are like 8.75" or less then it would probably fit another one in. As you get closer to the top, you only have ~8" of space lengthwise.

Depending on your stock length configuration, you may be able to sew in some material to hold an extended length mag or 2 in the main compartment.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    What is the length of the mags?

I have some of the KCI 31rd .40 mags that are just a hair under 9" in length. I can squeeze 2 of them in lengthwise at the bottom of the pouch, below where the zipper starts (where there is a little more give to the material).

They wont fit where the zipper starts, though - not enough give to the material. If the Glock mags are like 8.75" or less then it would probably fit another one in. As you get closer to the top, you only have ~8" of space lengthwise.

Depending on your stock length configuration, you may be able to sew in some material to hold an extended length mag or 2 in the main compartment.

Thanks, Should work my mags are 8-3/8 going to order one now.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Also Gen 1.

Description and picture of Gen 2. Grab a gun will sell you ones with 17rd minus magazines but will delay shipment until you agree to have mags removed or refund your payment. They had G17 mag type at $356.11 total with shipping earlier in the months. Best price I have seen for G17 version.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Description and picture of Gen 2. Grab a gun will sell you ones with 17rd minus magazines but will delay shipment until you agree to have mags removed or refund your payment. They had G17 mag type at $356.11 total with shipping earlier in the months. Best price I have seen for G17 version.

Thanks. Bought one over a year ago. Love it!

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford

Also, those looking for an inexpensive case - the RedHead 17" pistol case fits the folded Sub 2000 like a glove - literally like it was made for it. It also has a front pouch that you can fit mags and accessories into as well (I have 7 mags, a knife, earplugs and CLP in mine).

Thanks for the tip on the RH Case works great!

1564vw1.jpg

amfwk0.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Ruger Pistol Caliber Carbine that takes Glock 17 mags can often be found for $450 or less, and might be a superior option for those willing to sacrifice the ultra small compactness of the KelTec Sub2k.

Here's a place that sells them for $470 including shipping (and no credit card surcharge). They'll even let you split payment over two months ...

https://tsswarehouse.com/shop/ruger...rrel-black-synthetic-stock-10-rd-ruger-19100/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The Ruger Pistol Caliber Carbine that takes Glock 17 mags can often be found for $450 or less, and might be a superior option for those willing to sacrifice the ultra small compactness of the KelTec Sub2k.

Here's a place that sells them for $470 including shipping (and no credit card surcharge). They'll even let you split payment over two months ...

https://tsswarehouse.com/shop/ruger...rrel-black-synthetic-stock-10-rd-ruger-19100/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You tempt me into doing bad things. Must resist. Must resist. Must resist....

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I just picked up a Sub 2k for $449 @ Atlantic Guns in Rockville. Total impulse buy. Extended the stock to max and installed an AFG. Going to look for that RH pistol bag. Nice fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom