• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    If this passes and is signed into law some state will sue and it will be in front of the SCOTUS before any case working its way up through the normal court process.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    If this passes and is signed into law some state will sue and it will be in front of the SCOTUS before any case working its way up through the normal court process.

I agree. I'll make a bet they'll run to a Hawaii judge just like they kept doing with the immigration laws.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    As of today, looks like 4 Senate Democrats (MT, WV, IN, and ND) are on board with NCCR, a 5th (MO) doesn't like NCCR but willing to vote for the bill because FixNICS is attached to it.

So we're looking at a potential 52 (GOP) + 5 (Dems) = 57 Total. Only need 3 more Dem Senators to agree to a vote on cloture if the Dems choose to filibuster (and likely one or more will).

Pressure needs to be put on these Senators.

1) Bill Nelson-D (Florida)

2) Angus King-I (Maine)

3) Bob Casey-D (PA)

4) Martin Heinrich-D (NM)

5) Tom Udall-D (NM)

6) Sherrod Brown-D (OH)

They don't all need to vote for the bill, but if some of them can be convinced to vote to advance the bill that is good enough.

Wildcard: Pressure Sen. Al Franken and Bob Menendez to resign due to scandals, then only need 58 votes for cloture on the bill.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    As of today, looks like 4 Senate Democrats (MT, WV, IN, and ND) are on board with NCCR, a 5th (MO) doesn't like NCCR but willing to vote for the bill because FixNICS is attached to it.

So we're looking at a potential 52 (GOP) + 5 (Dems) = 57 Total. Only need 3 more Dem Senators to agree to a vote on cloture if the Dems choose to filibuster (and likely one or more will).

2) Angus King-I (Maine)

3) Bob Casey-D (PA)

5) Tom Udall-D (NM)

6) Sherrod Brown-D (OH)

They don't all need to vote for the bill, but if some of them can be convinced to vote to advance the bill that is good enough.

Wildcard: Pressure Sen. Al Franken and Bob Menendez to resign due to scandals, then only need 58 votes for cloture on the bill.

Interesting

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    DQUz3ePXkAEKntG.jpg

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Can someone give a quick rundown of what this bill means for us Marylanders?

I'm sure that it's in here somewhere but I went back 10 or so pages and nothing. I know that, originally, it was being discussed if it was a "carry anywhere, with any permit" but from my reading of the text, it appears that you need to have a home state permit to qualify for national reciprocity.

While I'm certainly excited for a potential win on a national level, it would certainly be disappointing if I can't carry in my home state while others from out of state can carry here.

Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to be disappointed... :rolleyes:

ETA: Just so everyone knows what I'm referencing - it's the congress.gov site here.

The summary states the following:

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.

I'm sure that it's in here somewhere but I went back 10 or so pages and nothing. I know that, originally, it was being discussed if it was a "carry anywhere, with any permit" but from my reading of the text, it appears that you need to have a home state permit to qualify for national reciprocity.

While I'm certainly excited for a potential win on a national level, it would certainly be disappointing if I can't carry in my home state while others from out of state can carry here.

As written, a CCW from any state will be recognized nationally.
    The reality is that even if it passes, the ensuing lawsuits will tie it up for years before it is enacted- if ever.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    As written, a CCW from any state will be recognized nationally.
    The reality is that even if it passes, the ensuing lawsuits will tie it up for years before it is enacted- if ever.

Unlike the other lawsuits against state may-issue schemes (which were not overturned), overturning a law of Congress will be fast tracked.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

ETA: Just so everyone knows what I'm referencing - it's the congress.gov site here.

No home state permit required, although when it comes to in state residents carrying on another state's permit, this is probably the weak link constitutionally.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

2) Angus King-I (Maine)

3) Bob Casey-D (PA)

5) Tom Udall-D (NM)

6) Sherrod Brown-D (OH)

https://projects.propublica.org/represent/votes/113/senate/1/100

Heinrich and Udall were yes votes last time

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

The text says "issued pursuant to the law of a state" That means a MD resident could carry in MD on a NR permit

Attachments

• law.jpg
      law.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom