Not Disapproved on a Sunday...Can I pickup?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Assuming gun store is open for business, can firearm be picked up on a Sunday?

Thought that sometime in the past, I read that Sunday didnt count in the 7 day wait or something?

I got my MSP email this morning, and have never gotten one on a Sunday...and it's near impossible to search using a phone, so I need a little help.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I thought I heard that if the 8th date fell on a Sunday you had to wait until Monday but if you got the E-mail on Sunday I would think you were good to go. Doesn't the E-mail say that you can now pick it up?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You cannot pick up on a Sunday. MD law. That's where the confusion about whether it's included in the seven days came from.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Here’s one of mine, it says, arrange pickup during regular business hours. So I guess if your dealer has regular business hours on Sunday then you can pick it up.

Congratulations. Your application, 2018XXXXXX, to purchase a regulated firearm from XXXX XXXX has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I thought I heard that if the 8th date fell on a Sunday you had to wait until Monday but if you got the E-mail on Sunday I would think you were good to go. Doesn't the E-mail say that you can now pick it up?

Well, makes the generic, "make arrangements to pick up" statement...maybe the old 8th day thing is what I was thinking about?

You cannot pick up on a Sunday. MD law. That's where the confusion about whether it's included in the seven days came from.

While breakfast was cooking, I saw the FFL was open now, and they said if MSP email is dated today, I can come pick it up today...

Thanks guys

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Seems to me if you have the email, pick it up. I cant recall if this is in the statute or COMAR. COMAR i think, which means they may have updated it for the 21st century where people are open and we have computers.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Seems to me if you have the email, pick it up. I cant recall if this is in the statute or COMAR. COMAR i think, which means they may have updated it for the 21st century where people are open and we have computers.

I agree, the email says nothing about no Sunday pickup/transfer.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You cannot pick up on a Sunday. MD law.

This is incorrect. Nothing in the law or opinions say anything about releasing on Sunday other than it is not considered a business day for 7 day wait. However you may purchase and pick up firearms on Sundays so long as the shop is open and it has been beyond the 7 day wait.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This is incorrect. Nothing in the law or opinions say anything about releasing on Sunday other than it is not considered a business day for 7 day wait. However you may purchase and pick up firearms on Sundays so long as the shop is open and it has been beyond the 7 day wait.

The computation of the 7 day period used to on the back of the 77r. and the MSP reminded us as recently as 2016.

I cant find anything in the statute or COMAR that supports this computation. If MSP has suddenly decided 7 days means 7 calendar days, this is great news, but in this state if it seems too good to be true, it might be.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    The MSP letter upthread really only makes sense if, at the time, MSP was not sending the not disapproved email on sundays.

I received a not disapproved email at 6 am on a Sunday in July 2017, and I picked it up that same day. I say go pick it up OP.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Ok...

This was a transfer, still bound by current laws.

Initiated last Saturday evening, but MSP fee paid & official process started last Sunday...12/9/2018

Email received this morning, the 7th day, 12/16/2018 stating Not Disapproved

Picked up firearm today

Thanks guys...and Thanks Blue Fins.

Attachments

• 20181216_094619.jpg
      20181216_094619.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 287

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The computation of the 7 day period used to on the back of the 77r. and the MSP reminded us as recently as 2016.

I cant find anything in the statute or COMAR that supports this computation. If MSP has suddenly decided 7 days means 7 calendar days, this is great news, but in this state if it seems too good to be true, it might be.

What I stated was incorrect is that you may not pick up a firearm on any Sunday. So long as it is beyond the 7, in other words 8, day wait you may pick it up whenever you want. Transfers may be done on Sundays.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok...

This was a transfer, still bound by current laws.

Initiated last Saturday evening, but MSP fee paid & official process started last Sunday...12/9/2018

Email received this morning, the 7th day, 12/16/2018 stating Not Disapproved

Picked up firearm today

Thanks guys...and Thanks Blue Fins.
    What the hell kind of picture is that?

Open the box and take another picture!
    :D

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    LOL...I couldn't lift my foot up and over the console...

Never looks like it has ever been cleaned or lubed...
    By FAR, the absolute DIRTIEST, gun I have ever bought...

Attachments

• 20181216_105623.jpg
      20181216_105623.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 249
    Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The rear of a paper 77R.

Nothing has changed as far as COMAR or the statute.

Attachments

• 77r 7 day wait.jpg
      77r 7 day wait.jpg
      21.2 KB · Views: 194

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    The rear of a paper 77R.

Nothing has changed as far as COMAR or the statute.

Well, what the old, no longer used, paper says, is not quite what happened.

There was always a debate here on what day is the actual "7th Day" or the "8th day"...

My 77R application was processed on Sunday, 12/9/2018

MSP Approved for pickup on Sunday, 12/16/2018, "during dealer's normal business hours"...

So, I guess according to the old 77R form, the 7th day would be SATURDAY, 12/15/2018, and "8th day release" was 12/16/2018, which was SUNDAY.

HOWEVER....

Nothing mentioned anywhere regarding inability to make a Sunday (or Holiday) pickup, in the email, or at the dealer. In fact, they specifically said the firearm can be released on the date of the email, which, obviously, was a Sunday.

Attached below is transaction receipt of actual application fee, and directly below it is the "not disapproved" email...

Attachments

• 77Ra.jpg
      77Ra.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 206
    • 77Rb.jpg
      77Rb.jpg
      42.5 KB · Views: 206

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members