• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Ive always been a fan of bolt actions with iron sights, and since the milsurps of my preference are becoming kinda pricey, ive been looking at the new savage 110 scout and the ruger gunsite. Anyome have or shot either of these? Savage has it on price and the new accustock is supposed to be much vetter than the model 11 scout, but ruger does have that sturdy co struction and i like the looks better (kinda like a bolt action m1 carbine). Whuch would be a better option? Opinions?

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    "Scout Rifle" opinions

Look at the American ranch with irons

Uses pmags so you don’t have to carry and invest in another type of mag

If that’s not a big deal for you then I’d recommend the savage. It shot straighter for me out of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I had the first gen Savage Scout Rifle...before the accu-trigger. It was ok but the stock was too slick. They could have put a better synthetic stock on it that had more roughness to the touch. Less plastic such as the trigger guard and rear sight as well would've been nice as well. I sold it after a while...it was ok as I said but it could have been done better. The Ruger I've no experience with.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ive always been a fan of bolt actions with iron sights, and since the milsurps of my preference are becoming kinda pricey, ive been looking at the new savage 110 scout and the ruger gunsite. Anyome have or shot either of these? Savage has it on price and the new accustock is supposed to be much vetter than the model 11 scout, but ruger does have that sturdy co struction and i like the looks better (kinda like a bolt action m1 carbine). Whuch would be a better option? Opinions?
    What do you think a scout rifle is? What is it supposed to do, in your opinion? Those aren't snarky questions, those are "I am trying to determine what you want" questions.

By Cooper's definition, "real" scout rifles have forward-mounted magnified scopes, are in a full-power rifle caliber, and have a very strict weight limit. That is to say, they are a system of rifle and optic. If you are just looking for a light bolt gun with detachable mags, I think it's a very different conversation.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Im familiar with coopers definition, me personally im not a fan of the IER scopes, im an iron fan, always have been. So i guess its not a "pure" scout rifle im looking gor in that sense. I also like the tikka ctr, but if i want irons id have to research and have a smith put them.on, whuch isnt the end of the world.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Savage scout is nice, I have one. But,the mags suck and pricey. Mossberg and Ruger are the other options.
    Mine is the model 10 first year.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a Ruger Scout and love it . I have a Burris Scout scope on mine and the accuracy of the rifle surprised me , it will hold a 1" group at 100yds with 175gr FGMM that's all I have ever shot out of it . It goes to the range with me every time I go , it is a fun rifle to shoot if I can get it away from my son so I can get a turn with it . Also the Magpul magazines they make for their Rem 700 stock work in the rifle better than the factory mags do .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I always thought the "Scout Rifle" as defined was an answer in search of a question. Cooper...as influential as he was...came up with his idea and defined it in his own way. There's any number of rifles that can be configured to do the same job. Just because Cooper had the idea doesn't mean everyone has to jump on board and bow down saying "We're not worthy...we're not worthy."

As Furious George said...an AR-10 Carbine can do all a Scout Rifle can and in a much more modular package...admittedly not available in Cooper's day...but Cooper didn't much believe in plastic and calibers less than .30 caliber.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I have nothing against AR10s as a platform or deny their capability, i just have a personal preference for bolts. Alwats have, just fun for me.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I always thought the "Scout Rifle" as defined was an answer in search of a question. Cooper...as influential as he was...came up with his idea and defined it in his own way. There's any number of rifles that can be configured to do the same job. Just because Cooper had the idea doesn't mean everyone has to jump on board and bow down saying "We're not worthy...we're not worthy."

As Furious George said...an AR-10 Carbine can do all a Scout Rifle can and in a much more modular package...admittedly not available in Cooper's day...but Cooper didn't much believe in plastic and calibers less than .30 caliber.

Can't disagree with much of that but having both an AR10 and a Scout and actually using them for hunting I'll carry the scout rifle over the AR10 all day . The Scout is lighter and move maneuverable . I have used both for hog hunting the scout wins out for me , it also makes for a better truck gun on the farm .

Now given the intended purpose of the scout rifle for "military" applications I'll take the AR10s capacity and rate of fire over the scout all day .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you really want the lightest bolt gun possible, something like the Kimber 84M Montana or Hunter is where it's at. 5.5lbs or less out of the box.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Ruger is too heavy. The new Savage looks great, I had abd sold the old Savage Scout rifle because I hated the stock.

I finally chose a FR8 Mauser to fill my Scout rifle desire. Really good iron sights for a milsurp, no detachable magazine but loads with stripper clips. I believe they are still less than $500

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had a Ruger that another member in this thread now has. They are great rifles and very accurate for what they are. Mine shot great. Handles well and is actually pretty handy in the woods as well.

I do not have experience with a forward mounted scope but not crazy about the idea.

I’m my opinion the best and original version of the scout rifle is the Steyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom