• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Well as the title says I'm looking into purcashing an "ak" and am currently weighing my options. The veprs have caught my eye but the rules that come along with them I'm not too sure of. From what I understand the 7.62 x 39 has to keep that thumbhole stock ( not a fan) but the 54r is fine to keep the folder? The 7.62 x 39 is a bit more appealing due to the price per round but I just can't get over that stock. Are there better options out there for us mders? Would you just snag the 54r if you had the chance?

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    There's a remedy for that.

P1120554-1024x684.jpg

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Yep, as the owner of a 762x39 vepr, you cant do anything to it as it makes it then a "copy of a banned firearm". I thought i was ok to do normal atuff like a stock change, maybe a muzzle brake etc yo keep it 922r, as long as i didnt put a bullet guide in. If i had known that, i might not habe gotten it. That being said, it a hilariously fun shooter and if you ever leace the state you can make it sweet and use an ak mag your heart desires!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Given some of the firearms the MSP has green-lighted I'm not convinced that appearances (thumbhole stock vs pistol grip) has anything to do with their logic. Nor does the presence or lack of a bullet guide.

The features test in the law only concerns folding stocks and certain muzzle devices. The copycat rule has to do with mechanical interchangeability, not appearance.

IANAL but if the MSP says a VEPR is legal, then it's legal to swap furniture around as long as you take the Federal 922(r) rules into account.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Given some of the firearms the MSP has green-lighted I'm not convinced that appearances (thumbhole stock vs pistol grip) has anything to do with their logic. Nor does the presence or lack of a bullet guide.

The features test in the law only concerns folding stocks and certain muzzle devices. The copycat rule has to do with mechanical interchangeability, not appearance.

IANAL but if the MSP says a VEPR is legal, then it's legal to swap furniture around as long as you take the Federal 922(r) rules into account.

I've seen conflicting information on whether the thumbhole stock has to stay or not on the 7.62 x 39 vepr. Most have stated that the thumbhole stock has to stay in order for it to be legal. If I was able to just buy that model and swap out the stock I'd totally do it.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Im pretty sure that if you asked 100 people, youd get 50 saying yes and 50 saying no. I believe that espevially with the 762x39 variant, it has to stay in "as imported" condition. Other xalibers i brlieve are fine as parts arent interchangable with an ak. Neither are the 762x39 variants, but hey good luck getting thst through md legislature. Even though the thumbhole stock isnt the sexiest thing, the wood is great quality and is very comfortable to shoot. If someone cpuld definitely, 100% say you could change it up id have that ironwood designs vepr stock woth pistol grip and vented foreend in a heartbeat.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Im pretty sure that if you asked 100 people, youd get 50 saying yes and 50 saying no. I believe that espevially with the 762x39 variant, it has to stay in "as imported" condition. Other xalibers i brlieve are fine as parts arent interchangable with an ak. Neither are the 762x39 variants, but hey good luck getting thst through md legislature. Even though the thumbhole stock isnt the sexiest thing, the wood is great quality and is very comfortable to shoot. If someone cpuld definitely, 100% say you could change it up id have that ironwood designs vepr stock woth pistol grip and vented foreend in a heartbeat.

Oh for sure. I guess we will see more responses here and get some more opinions but it seems like a definite no go on the stock change. I'm weighing other options but the veprs seem like a pain for changing things out and I've read the magazine availability is crap. What cap mags do you have for your 39 and are they reliable? Right now the arsenal 107r or the vz58 are looking really good lol.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ah okay. The vz58 is definitely my back up plan.

I have shot both an AK and my VZ2008 (both folding stock and with a VZ58 beaver barf stock added to it)
    Vz shoots better than the AK I shot.

If you just want the AK to have an AK, then this opinion does not matter. I can respect the "because its an AK". that's fine.

I have been thinking the AK w/ Pistol brace lately.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I have the standard 5 and 10 rounders that came with and the run flawlessly. Buying more, especially now woth veprs being banned an all expect to pay a shitload. I do believe saiga mags will work, they should be much cheaper. A us company, i believe sgm tactical? Makes 30 rounders which apparently work great. However i beliebe even if purchasing them outside of maryland they might trigger the old copy of a banned assault weapon.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    And veprs arent a pain to do stuff too, they are just a pain...in MARYLAND. Good old maryland laws, its like the saying if you cant convince them, baffle them with ********.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom