• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The biggest issue is lack of private land to hunt like said above, followed by the developments that keep popping up, which can turn your hunting spot into being within the safety zone, or you have to deal with deer dying in the yard of some anti hunter who lives in that new house. The lease thing can be ridiculous. One farm near me is 200 something acres and one guy leases it for 10k a year. Another I tried to get to trap on is 2 guys with a hunting lease. No idea what they pay, didn't ask the landowner lady. But she decided that I could not trap even after deer season ( for coons and mink) because she was worried my being there might cause an issue with the hunters. And yes, it is not easy finding places to trap too. I talked to a guy who works at APG and he says there might get to be some changes such as allowing trapping again. I want to trap beaver and otter like never before lol. And maybe catch coyotes like I catch foxes- actually catching them since I hear they are deep in them there. And ooooh maybe grey foxes in there too!

I have a couple buddies that work on APG. The coyotes are definitely there. They are also in the rising sun and Conowingo area.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Going to start looking harder at the dead deer carcasses we and others are finding ( have found). I think its weird that nothing will feed on the remains in some instances. I suspect there is already one or more ways the deer herd is being culled in some areas.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The DNR runs a managed hunt on Fair Hill NMRA every year to control the herd. When they started about 20 years ago the herds were enormous and you could see the browse line on the trees. When they started they ran the hunt for a week every year and were taking several hundred deer each year but as the numbers declined they cut back the number of days and number of hunters. Currently it is two days and about 50 hunters per day but the count taken was way down this year because of bad weather. Next year they will have more deer or expand the hunt to make up for it. I have been told they have a target number for the herd size based on carrying capacity of the available range land and they use aircraft with thermal imaging to count deer, usually in winter when there are no leaves. Still see some deer, saw three last night, but the browse line is no longer conspicuous.

I assume the professional biologists at DNR are doing a balancing act between farmers wanting less crop damage, hunters wanting more deer to hunt, the anti all hunting, spreading population, declining number of hunters, and all the other competing interests. In my lifetime deer have become noticeably more nocturnal so they are evolving along with everything else.

In my 60 years I have noticed no such "evolution". Deer have always been nocturnal for the most part. If anything I have seen more activity in the daytime in suburban and urban locations where they have no threats.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In my 60 years I have noticed no such "evolution". Deer have always been nocturnal for the most part. If anything I have seen more activity in the daytime in suburban and urban locations where they have no threats.

Yes. It's a pressure thing, mostly. When man first started tree stand hunting deer, deer never looked up(they had no predation from above). Now all deer look up. It's learned. Yearlings never look up. They haven't learned that the scent of humans is a danger sign yet. Once they learn that, they start looking up(from where the human scent is coming). I notice this year after year.

Deer have four periods of activity(feeding) per day. Two major, two minor. The timing is governed mostly by moon position. Weather will often change their pattern in extreme cases(i.e. storms and such).

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you need help getting rid of the deer, lots of us in the county would be happy to. Just let me know if you need a hand come summer/fall.

Lol. How many times have I heard that. These same people don't have time to pick up a deer that I have shot and is waiting for them.

Il tell you why we have crop damage permits and now certified cooperator permits where you can shoot at night with rifles and silencers.
    Worthless hunters.
    Smart hunters that only shoot horns and loads of idiot hunters that would shoot anything. But see nothing because they just drove a pickup into a field and then drove a 4wheeler and parked it next to the tree stand. Then blame the farmer for shooting a few deer on a permit.

Farmers have a small voice in getting these changes imemented. Car insurance lobbyists are what make these things happen.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Lol. How many times have I heard that. These same people don't have time to pick up a deer that I have shot and is waiting for them.

Il tell you why we have crop damage permits and now certified cooperator permits where you can shoot at night with rifles and silencers.
    Worthless hunters.
    Smart hunters that only shoot horns and loads of idiot hunters that would shoot anything. But see nothing because they just drove a pickup into a field and then drove a 4wheeler and parked it next to the tree stand. Then blame the farmer for shooting a few deer on a permit.

Farmers have a small voice in getting these changes imemented. Car insurance lobbyists are what make these things happen.

The Automobile, the natural predator of Whitetail deer. Sometimes see more deer dead on the side of the road than alive in the woods.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Worthless hunters.

You're probably right.

As for shooting horns. Next year I go back to shooting does again. The county-hired doe killers adjacent to my hunting property are finally gone(for 1 1/2 years now) and the does are beginning to come back to shootable numbers. I prefer to take one or two bucks and 4-? does a year. I don't mind chewing on a tough old buck, but most of the people I give my deer to prefer nice tender does. :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    6 deer is a drop in the bucket when you are dealing with massive deer damage.

Like I said, the numbers where I hunt have been ravaged by year-long culling. Before that, I alone was pulling 9-15 deer out a season. There was no FHFH for me to donate to. I had to find homes for every deer I shot. The piece I hunt is only 40-50 acres(mostly field), surrounded by very low hunting pressure now that they stopped culling. Killing deer on every outing would just result in pushing the deer off 'my' property, onto other properties that, for the most part, aren't really being hunted.

What would you suggest?

Also, some of the blame falls on the landowners as well, taking into consideration that deer hunters can be their own worst enemies at times.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Delighted to help w/ your deer problem

I live in So MD. Responsibly hunted for over 40 years and respect the land. I would be delighted to help a neighbor w/ their deer problem. PM me if interested.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have a couple buddies that work on APG. The coyotes are definitely there. They are also in the rising sun and Conowingo area.

I hear APG is thick with them, and have never seen a trapper before lol. Coyotes are all over Harford county. I've only ever caught 1, they are slick.

To put a shout out, if anyone has or knows someone with a furbearer problem keep me in mind for next season. I need it to be close, like HdG, Perryville, Aberdeen, Darlington, maybe Churchville. I REALLY want a place to water trap, even a smaller stream with mink in it will do. But if there are beaver and otter too, I will be in heaven.

As to deer, yes they look up lol. I meat hunt, but if I had been hunting one Monday 2 seasons ago instead of acting like I'd see nothing and what's the point, I could have taken an 8 pointer. Taking an antlered deer is my next excitement goal.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I can't believe that any farmer in MD would have a problem finding hunters to take out deer on their crop damage permit. I'd think you'd be overrun with folks.

Granted, it may take some 'management' to deal with a decent number of hunters, but there is certainly demand for deer and decent places to hunt.

For what its worth, I'm in southern Anne Arundel, and Calvert is more than close enough. I've been a Maryland hunter since 1996, and before that, Virginia. I'm ethical, safe, and understand farms (Lived on a large dairy for 5 years). I'm not interested in horns, just meat on the table, and I could probably use 5 deer per year. I would definitely prefer to do any hunting in the cooler months to ensure I can deal with the meat (I.e., lets plan on dealing with your problem now, and year round, rather then in August).

PM me if interested. I 'd be happy to come out and meet you.

Brent

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016

Worthless hunters.

They need to stop charging me $3500 a year for the 60 acre lease that they crop damage hunt all year and maybe the hunters will be willing to help out. As far as night using a rifle/suppressor (its not a silencer) goes I was under the impression that DNR (info from DNR) does not permit that unless its a special circumstance which has happened once in the last 10 years and if you are using a rifle for DMP in a non rifle county that is a big no under the regs.

Last edited:

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    They need to stop charging me $3500 a year for the 60 acre lease that they crop damage hunt all year and maybe the hunters will be willing to help out. As far as using a rifle/suppressor (its not a silencer) goes I was under the impression that DNR (info from DNR) does not permit that unless its a special circumstance which has happened once in the last 10 years and if you are using a rifle for DMP in a non rifle county that is a big no under the regs.

Well I might as well give up on that lease now that SB747 is dead. Liberalizing legal jack lighting by DMP holders.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    My understanding about night shooting and using silencers in this area is done on Federal land (think Naval Academy, Fort Meade, NIH, etc.) by employees of Fish and Wildlife. Maryland may have similar system for state parks or areas that are overrun and unable to be hunted due to too many regulations. But I could be wrong...

As far as people volunteering to shoot deer for farmers on permits, the permit is good for a year starting at the beginning of March until the end of February and you need to have the names of people doing the shooting to be listed on the permit and their dnr# and you cannot change or add any until you reapply at the end of February.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Worthless hunters.

You may be right, but my offer was earnest. The number of hunters and the area of huntable land are both decreasing.

I'd love to have a farmer/hunter work with me to teach good hunting management. To be honest, I'm a former city boy who moved to the county and is trying to teach himself. But its hard to even find a farmer to talk with, let alone one who doesn't already lease his land.

I've had success and practiced good hunting on one friends land, and hope to continue, but its tough when I'm treated like an outsider. Please try to work with us instead of criticize. If not, hunting has little chance in the future.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For the record, I think most of the 'volunteers' here are more interested in "in season" hunting. That would only require an Md hunting license including required stamps. For those seeking crop damage-out of season hunting, then yes, they'll need to be on the permit by name(unless this has changed since I last did CD work).

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For the record, I think most of the 'volunteers' here are more interested in "in season" hunting. That would only require an Md hunting license including required stamps. For those seeking crop damage-out of season hunting, then yes, they'll need to be on the permit by name(unless this has changed since I last did CD work).

How would that work for someone like me, who is interested in getting 2-3 deer a year, as that's what my family can eat. Would I want to promise the farmer a number of additional deer to be taken and donated? Or a set number of days per month to be there hunting?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So school me on how they determine how many deer get shot on a particular farm. For reference the Feds shot 250 (aprox.) deer off Antietam Battlefield last year. It was a bit excessive, but people hunting nearby farms haven't been reducing the doe population very well. They set that is motion and the feds got forced into it. The first Saturday of rifle before could have 75 - 100 deer in the field by Sharpsburg Pike. Now its empty almost.

Then this past year the DNR gave one farmer a 50 deer permit which is fairly close to the battlefield. This farmer has his brothers hunting all the rifle and BP seasons to reduce the herd impact on their farmer and provide meat before the permit.

Now my friend that live next to the farm says he would be lucky to see even one deer in three days if he sat in his tree stand and over a distance also. I understand thinning and controlling them, but outright slaughter of the herd, how is that management?

lol - one of the guys I used to hunt with is probably responsible for that proliferation of deer at Antietam. This was about a decade ago and the guy would show me 100+ deer coming to his feeder and he would always kill a monster buck. His farm was right off of route 34.

Once upon a time, I would go days without seeing a deer while out hunting. Then, a decade went by and it would be rare for me to go a day without seeing a deer. Then, another decade went by and it would be rare for me to come home without killing at least a couple deer.

I hunted on a farm in Boonsboro that had a crop damage permit. There were a ton of deer on that farm.

As Washington County gets more and more developed like Montgomery, Howard, PG, and Frederick, the deer problem will get worse and worse. Believe Howard County had something like 1,300 deer/car collisions last year.

Now, what is a manageable sized herd? One that does not starve to death over the winter. One that does not have 100+ deer in it that wipes out corn fields and soybean fields. The farm I hunt here in Howard County, not a single soybean plant is untouched on 80 planted acres. I can drive by the field and see all the tops eaten off of the plants.

So, the question remains, what is the proper herd size, management technique, and management purpose? Do we want to manage the herd for hunting purposes, for agricultural purposes, for safety (e.g., deer.car collisions, Lyme disease) purposes? Depends on what the overall goal is.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Worthless hunters.

You and 44man need to meet the right hunters/killers. I know 44man has pretty much the same gripe as you when it comes to "hunters". The problem is finding the good ones. Once you find the good ones and establish a relationship, then things change. However, it takes effort on both parties. You have to be willing to meet with these people before hunting season and explain to them what you expect from them and that they will not be allowed to hunt there if they do not meet those expectations. If you guys were within an hour's drive of me, I would promise you some help, but with my schedule being so busy with work and the kids, making that drive on a consistent basis just isn't going to happen until my 5 year old gets a little older. At that point, I'd have the ability to provide 3 deer hunters on a regular basis, weekends permitting.

Inigoes is a good guy and I am pretty sure he would be able to help down that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom