• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I post this every year at this time, both for the Koi and for gardens.

It really works ask my neighbor, I would call him over every spring and say come here and look at this and he would get sprayed again.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/scarecrow-sprinkler-motion-activated-animal-deterrent-p-3327.html

I have one of these. lesson one when first installed don't forget about it when visiting the pond

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Well a few questions...

No measure was taken but estimated 3500 gallons. 18 depth inches on shelf, 4 feet in center well.

Varmints? No Issue here. Inland herons not seen, if they showed they left.

Pond has dogs... "get the cat, get the squirrel, get the bird" are acceptable commands in my backyard. Dogs ignore the fish. They occasionally swim. Makes more maintenance, but wtf Bird dogs need fun too.

Edit: No freezing issue, pump is 24/7 good water flow, pond is too deep to freeze.

As for a sad pic while pond is need fresh green, dogs knock over crap. Great time to show the bad pond. Current look from deck. Next the first night of the pond. Last the swimming puppy she mucks up the water it takes 24 hours for the filter to clear it.

Looking forward to spring.

Attachments

• koideck2017-s.jpg
      koideck2017-s.jpg
      120.9 KB · Views: 283
    • pond-n-new.jpg
      pond-n-new.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 280
    • ponddog2.jpg
      ponddog2.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 279
    Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Little DA jumped in my neighbor's Koi pond, while fully clothed after daycare, one day last summer.

While I wouldn't mind a pond in the yard, I'm sure it would be too tempting to stash it in the backyard and put some air stones and a heater in it, to make a redneck hot tub. Actually, that's not a bad idea... :D

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The dog is the reason we never built one. We always have labs and my wife is very controlling of what and where the dog is. She is always cleaning/covering up of any mud and would be the same on water. She cleans up after them being outside.

Labradors love mud and water and then want to walk on the carpet and sleep on the couch. :D If we had a pond the dog would be in it any any chance.

I've also always taught my dogs to get sticks underwater as ducks dive on dogs when wounded. I imagine she might start fishing in her own pond if left to it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The dog is the reason we never built one. We always have labs and my wife is very controlling of what and where the dog is.

We had a nice pond at our old house. Every dog fell in....once. After that they learned to watch their step. And then there was my neighbor's lab. I came home one day, and she was in the pond, covered in mud and debris. Some contractors saw her running around (she was a "neighborhood dog"...no fence), saw our fence, and assumed she was ours, so they put her in our yard. The fish were skittish for weeks.

The old pond:

Attachments

• 248.jpg
      248.jpg
      111.4 KB · Views: 268

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    April shower bring May flowers. A pond coming alive.

~G

Attachments

• pondmay.jpg
      pondmay.jpg
      169.8 KB · Views: 214

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Our koi pound has been raided by heron, and other varmint. Just finished configuring the netting to protect them, next order of business is restocking. Any suggestions for suppliers, we are in central hoco.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Our koi pound has been raided by heron, and other varmint. Just finished configuring the netting to protect them, next order of business is restocking. Any suggestions for suppliers, we are in central hoco.

the wife and I have went to Lilly ponds before they will ship also if I remember correctly Gaithersburg Maybe. up 270 anyway its been years . In Davidsonville central avenue 1 block pass homestead gardens on left if homestead is on your right coming from rte. 301 don't remember the name but they where all fish and supplies at one time they even imported Koi . sorry for all the iffy info

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    I have a small pond. More like a puddle. About 150 gallon preform with water fall. Had a handfull of goldfish survive the last 5 years but something finally got them this spring. Just cleaned it and restocked a couple weeks ago. I'd like to build a bigger one soon.

Nice ponds everyone.

joyd69

Jan 18, 2017
    P.G. County
    the wife and I have went to Lilly ponds before they will ship also if I remember correctly Gaithersburg Maybe. up 270 anyway its been years . In Davidsonville central avenue 1 block pass homestead gardens on left if homestead is on your right coming from rte. 301 don't remember the name but they where all fish and supplies at one time they even imported Koi . sorry for all the iffy info

Tropic Bay Water Gardens
    600 W Central Ave, Davidsonville, MD 21035

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    You can get to Lily pons from 270 if you take rt 80 to Park Mills rd to Lily Pons rd. Used to go for the water snakes etc... as a teen

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    we mailed ordered mostly everything because their a good bit away from me . But we did go once they had a gum ball machine by one of the ponds and the HUUGE Koi would come for the free bee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom