• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Been seeing a lot of these online....you know, the little plug that fills up the hollow space at the base of a Glock grip.

I don't have an issue with the grip or recoil, but what's the deal with these/ Worth the coupla bucks or a waste of time?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Been seeing a lot of these online....you know, the little plug that fills up the hollow space at the base of a Glock grip.

I don't have an issue with the grip or recoil, but what's the deal with these/ Worth the coupla bucks or a waste of time?

Waste of time.

Edit after the fact: I realize "Waste of time" is probably not very helpful. To me...it just seems like someone sat there and said, "What else can I throw on a Glock and charge people for?" I mean people say they are supposed to keep dirt/snow/water out of the frame but...give me a friggen break. No. Maybe they make some out of some really dense steel to help balance the gun for competition shooters or something. But for a regular ole' plastic plug, skip it. You don't gain anything, and you lose the extra purchase on that magazine in case theres a double feed or something and you need to really rip it out of the gun...and it also covers the lanyard hole, not that most of us use lanyards.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I always had one for all of mine. I hate having that open space there, though I have to admit a little dust there doesn't really hurt anything, it just bugs me. Get a good one though, the cheap Chinese ones off ebay can pop out under recoil.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    the hole is there for a reason if there is a malfunction its there to help rip the mag out. thats what all my instructors told me

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    the hole is there for a reason if there is a malfunction its there to help rip the mag out. thats what all my instructors told me

Why wouldn't you grab the toe of the baseplate? You have more purchase there.

To answer your question Joe, yes the slug plugs are a fantastic investment. They do keep debris out of the inner workings, specifically the connector/trigger bar engagement as well as the ejector housing. The chance of debris going through that small gap and making it there isn't very likely, but over time shit will collect in that area.

There are two styles and I find that both actually aid in reloads, though the rounded/extended version is slightly better for this (scherer makes the rounded version). The flush fit model made by lone wolf is better for concealed carry. I put flush fit on my 19's and the rounded version on my 17's and 34's.

I found in practice that I would occasionally hang up on mag changes. It didn't take long to figure out I was getting caught in the area that the slug plug fills. The scherer version really helps guide the mag in. It's not a funnel, but it's better than stock.

As for the comment posted above relating that gap is to grab stuck mags, it's not completely without merit. Having the gap would allow a thumb to grasp the rear of the mag body whilst the toe of the baseplate can grasp the baseplate. I've had sticky mags due to grit, but nothing I couldn't get out by manipulating the toe of the mag. Maybe if I were in a very sandy environment I would take the plug out, but I've come to the conclusion that the plug helps reloads and hasn't hurt mag extraction and may even help keep some of that debris out of the innards.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I am very pleased with the "rounded" type I put in my G19 GEN2. The rear of the GEN2 grip frame was too short and it used to dig into the palm of my hand. The plug took care of this issue that Glock took care of (via slightly rounded and I believe slightly longer grip) in GEN3/4.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The plugs are 99.9% aesthetic. There is a small slot that could allow dust to get to the connector block, but it also could let dirt out, and even if some dust gets to the block, it probably wouldn't case a malfunction. On some of the compacts an extended plug can give a little more grip for the hand to rest on, but with a good high grip most people wouldn't notice it. It could potentially help locate the mag in the well for reloads for some people, although most tilt the mag forward relative to the well, so the mag meets the well higher, and then is rotated a little and slammed in place, so a plug wouldn't matter. The only factory accesories I've seen use the hole was a lanyard adapter and the shoulder stock.

There is truth to the "extra grip to pull a mag". The "proper" way to pull a GLOCK mag to clear a type 3 malfunction is to grip with the thumb at the back of the mag, through the grip hole and cutout, and wrap the index finger around the front of the mag, on some models the grip hole is small, and there really isn't much room to grap the mag this way. You won't see the need for this unless you practice a type 3 malfunction AKA double feed, if you don't practice malfunctions, get some dummy rounds and do it. With this there is a round that usually is partially stuck between the mag and chamber, held in place by the slide, and locking the mag in place. A mag that would normally drop free will be jammed tight, and takes considerable effort to rip out of the well, you are basically pulling a round straight up out of the mag past the feed lips to free the mag and clear the jam. Only being able to grab the little 1/4" high mag base plate probably won't be enough, although many people radius the bottom side edges of the grip so the mag can be grabbed and ripped out easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom