• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I'll likely be picking up a .22 can at some point in the future. From what I've read (mostly here), you only need to do paperwork for the can itself and not each firearm you're planning on using it with. Is that correct?

(That's assuming that there's no SBR/AOW/etc. paperwork associated with the firearms; I'd just be swapping it between a "plain" pistol and rifle)

That is correct. The tax stamp is for the can itself. You can use it on any weapon you want.

I have a 22Sparrow from Silencerco and I use it on a Mosquito and and AR upper (w/22 conversion kit).

Dave

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Question: For an SBR the first post here noted I need to put my name and address on the lower. I went to the Orion Arms website:

http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/short-barrel-rifle-engraving-locations.html

It noted :The ATF requires all short barrel rifles to be engraved with the manufacturers name, city, and state.

Would I be the manufacturer in this case since I would be only buying an upper and putting it on my existing lower ?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Question: For an SBR the first post here noted I need to put my name and address on the lower. I went to the Orion Arms website:

http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/short-barrel-rifle-engraving-locations.html

It noted :The ATF requires all short barrel rifles to be engraved with the manufacturers name, city, and state.

Would I be the manufacturer in this case since I would be only buying an upper and putting it on my existing lower ?

Section 4a on the form 1 is for the original manufacturer of the lower. You put your name and address is section 3b.

All you need to engrave on the lower is your name, city and state. Abbreviations are fine. For example, for Robert Smith in Brookeville, MD you could use:

R.SMITH
    BRKVL, MD

I had 3 lowers engraved just in front of the trigger guard. It looks much nicer than the side of the lower. And you don't notice it until you turn the gun over.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Stupid question.

I can send the Form 1 and copies of the trust in a standard envelope (#10) right? Or do I need to use the catalog type ones?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Stupid question.

I can send the Form 1 and copies of the trust in a standard envelope (#10) right? Or do I need to use the catalog type ones?

I always send my Form 1s & 4s to BATFE in 9x12 envelopes so that they don't have to be folded. It also keeps your picture from getting bent or dislodged. I'm not sure if it matters, but that's how I do it.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Once you go pending and are assigned a reviewer what exactly are they reviewing ?The state police run your prints and your background what other things are looked into before final approval ?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Once you go pending and are assigned a reviewer what exactly are they reviewing ?The state police run your prints and your background what other things are looked into before final approval ?

The MSP background check is separate from the one for ATF.

ATF reviews the status of your NFA item in the NFA registry, there is another background check (your 2 Blue FBI print cards) to review, and also that there are no problems with in your paperwork. Once the reviewer has your FBI background check, they can approve your Form in a matter of minutes. I know this because I once had a reviewer on the phone about an issue with my FBI prints. He said they just came back the previous day, put me hold to check the report, and after about 3 minutes came back on the line and said that he just approved and signed my Form 4.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    ^ Got ya... my question was 2 fold in that im impatient but also was curious in the amount of work that was needed per item. It seems like its a waiting game on there end as well

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    When submitting a set of Form 4's and fingerprint cards to MSP for CLEO sign off do I also need to include the passport photos and Certificate of Compliance page? Or are the passport photos and CC page only required when sending everything into the ATF?

Also, on the fingerprint cards under ""Reason Fingerprinted" is it ok to put "Form 4 Transfer"? If not, what should I put as the reason?

This would be for a suppressor.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    When submitting a set of Form 4's and fingerprint cards to MSP for CLEO sign off do I also need to include the passport photos and Certificate of Compliance page? Or are the passport photos and CC page only required when sending everything into the ATF?

Also, on the fingerprint cards under ""Reason Fingerprinted" is it ok to put "Form 4 Transfer"? If not, what should I put as the reason?

This would be for a suppressor.

You do not need to attach the photo or include the Cert. of Compliance in your submission to MSP. Only to ATF. Also, do not sign your Forms until instructed to do so by the MSP rep. And do not fill in the date signed. They do that for you when they sign off.

Reason Fingerprinted on the print cards is "NFA Weapon".

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I might like to build a suppressor, if it can be done legally. Sounds like an interesting project. Is the process similar to the "build a SBR" in the FAQs?

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom