AR Underfolder Adapter for Pistol Buffer Tube?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I love that! That is totally cool!

I always wanted an AK underfolder but missed the change before Oct 2013.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Once I find a donor underfolder that I can use for measurements then I've got a design. Just need to find a place that I can get it fabbed up at. Talked to my friend with a machine shop and he said it can be done on a mill, but the cuts in the design I have in mind require a slitting saw smaller than he has tooling for.

Would love to see how it turns out. I am waiting on a couple stamps for SBRs, this would be an awesome addition!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Once I find a donor underfolder that I can use for measurements then I've got a design. Just need to find a place that I can get it fabbed up at. Talked to my friend with a machine shop and he said it can be done on a mill, but the cuts in the design I have in mind require a slitting saw smaller than he has tooling for.

There is a small machine shop in the Joppatowne area (distance from you) who I used to work with at a previous job. I've seen gun barrels in there before, he did some kind of modifications to them for APG. Point is he's at least somewhat versed in working on firearm components.

If you got a design down this is ripe for a patent.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you got a design down this is ripe for a patent.
    Unless its materially different, there is already prior art. Past the one year deadline now. (I have four(?) patents and a coupe more pending so have some experience in this.)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Unless its materially different, there is already prior art. Past the one year deadline now. (I have four(?) patents and a coupe more pending so have some experience in this.)

So you're saying because there is already a picture online showing that someone built one there are no longer grounds to file for a patent? I'm not too familiar with the patent process.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    I'm not sure how his mounts and locks in place so if I were to patent anything in hopes of production, which I'm not sure I have the time for, I can't for fact say what I'm doing is what the other person has or did do.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Well more so just needed the part with all of the hardware to do some measurements. Figured someone might have had a parts kit for an AK sitting around and would be able to loan the stock for measurements. If I can't find one local by Thursday, I'll just order that to see what width I'd have to go with and how much clearance I'd need in the wrist area.

I think I'm going to go through and prototype with a 3D printer first and see what I can get.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Because you can't fire the gun with the law tactical folded. You can the underfolder. The only side folder I'm aware of that can fire from the stock being folded sideways is the ZM tactical upper and stock. There may be others. But that's the only 1 I'm aware of.

I posted this before I really understood the the thread title.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I was actually on planning on ordering something from Sportsmans Guide. If it would help to move the project along, I wouldn't mind ordering the party. PM me if your interested.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    So you're saying because there is already a picture online showing that someone built one there are no longer grounds to file for a patent? I'm not too familiar with the patent process.

Yes. 'Prior art' is some sort of public docmentation of the idea that has existed before yours. In general, when you have a patentable idea you can discuss it in private w/ clients but once it hits public knowledge you only have a year to file the patent. That fellow on the 300blk forum couldn't file for one now as an example. Too late. So you have to have an even BETTER idea that is considerably different and 'not an obvious extension or combination' of other ideas or prior patents then you can apply for a new one. They have gotten much harder to get recently.

Edit: All that said, lots of patents get approved for stuff that already exists. The patent office can't find everything when they search. But in a court case, someone just has to show the prior art and it will be invalidated.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Per some research it seems that the different location (Russian, Yugo, and Polish so far) have slightly different hardware on them. Going to find some shops out of state that have underfolders in house to check out the hardware as best I can.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Of course, to make this really work, you're still going to need a stubby receiver extension and modified buffer, new springs, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom