• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    On my billet 80% I was able to just use a small Allen key and tap it out. Not sure how tight yours is.

That is what I have, the 80% blllet from SOMD. Allen key and I unscrewed it. I was just baffled for a minute until I got ahold of the guy and found out it was an allen screw. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

Zombie revival. I got bored so I built up a preban receiver I picked up. Unfortunately, it is a SWAT receiver (only type I could find at the time). LPK went in, and everything fit for the most part. Aluminum, Thermold, Stainless, and Magpul Gen2 mags work fine and bhod (bolt hold open device) works. Magpul Gen3, no luck. The ledge at the back of the mag bumps into the formed trigger guard. After reading some reviews, I decided to try to manually relieve the area in question and see if I could make the magazine work. The tools I used were painter's tape (I used the blue stuff, but duct tape would also work), a small round diamond grit needle file (harbor freight), and a Magpul Gen3 magazine.

I inserted the magazine, and taped the trigger guard across where the magazine ledge touched it. I then taped down the sides of the receiver following the angle of the magazine well and following on to the trigger guard. Then tape across the magazine well where the the outside edge ends leaving a small gap between trigger guard and magazine well. The gap should be the back ridge/slot of the magazine well. You should only have a small triangular area on the trigger guard open/un-taped.

Once taped off, slowly start filing the untaped area. You will NOT need to file the whole untaped area, just enough to allow the magazine to seat and lock in reliably. You will need to make sure the filing is relatively even on both sides and slanted towards the magwell (the round file does most of the this). After approximately 30 minutes of gentle firm pressure filing, it should be able seat the magazine. I cut the magazine well tape down the center to open outward to adjust the fitting of the magazine. I filed until I could insert it without forcing it to lockup (like any other magazine insertion). Here is what it ended up looking like:

20190201_103339.jpg

20190201_092626.jpg

20190201_092444.jpg

This is to show that it can be done without a milling machine (although it would have been quicker). I assume no responsibility or liability if you mess up your lower receiver. I used my own preban receiver knowing the risk if I screwed it up. If you are not capable, do not attempt this.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom