• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Thinking about my next AR build. I definitely want to go with a rifle length gas system. I’m having trouble deciding on what to build. I want to use open sites on this build, and I’m kinda digging that “old school type of look”, right now. So it got me thinking, about the 20” rifle vs the 16” disapator.
    Originally, I was going to build a A2 type rifle, and im still not opposed to that, but thought maybe a flat top type might be better, in case I want to mount an optic later down the road. Gives be a little flexibility, if my wants, or needs change. I was looking at a DelTon disapator upper, as they use a rifle gas system, and have pretty good reviews. I have looked at several different 20” rifle uppers. Is the shorter length of the disapator, really that much of an advantage? This is going to be a range toy, I’m not planning on lugging this thing around.
    So what’s your all thoughts? What do you guys like?

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Keep an eye out for the Colt AR-15 Match Target H-Bar 20" when they are available for under $1k. If you ever carried an A2 in the service, it will bring back some fond and not so fond memories.

Good luck finding your next rifle.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thinking about my next AR build. I definitely want to go with a rifle length gas system. I’m having trouble deciding on what to build. I want to use open sites on this build, and I’m kinda digging that “old school type of look”, right now. So it got me thinking, about the 20” rifle vs the 16” disapator.
    Originally, I was going to build a A2 type rifle, and im still not opposed to that, but thought maybe a flat top type might be better, in case I want to mount an optic later down the road. Gives be a little flexibility, if my wants, or needs change. I was looking at a DelTon disapator upper, as they use a rifle gas system, and have pretty good reviews. I have looked at several different 20” rifle uppers. Is the shorter length of the disapator, really that much of an advantage? This is going to be a range toy, I’m not planning on lugging this thing around.

Go 20" for the fun of it. Everybody has a 16" AR.

Go flat top if you want, but keep in mind that if you really want to have fun for an optic down the line, you may want to consider a full length free floated handguard, with Magpul BUIS on it, so you don't have to worry about that pesky A2 front sight obscuring your sight plate with a magnified optic.

I actually have a plan to build a 20" AR with A2 upper and go M16A2/M16A4 retro with it. Aero currently has the M16A4 blem lowers on sale and I'm going to be picking one up, just for this.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Keep an eye out for the Colt AR-15 Match Target H-Bar 20" when they are available for under $1k. If you ever carried an A2 in the service, it will bring back some fond and not so fond memories.

Good luck finding your next rifle.

I’ve looked at that rifle before, and it is really nice.
    Thanks

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Go 20" for the fun of it. Everybody has a 16" AR.

Go flat top if you want, but keep in mind that if you really want to have fun for an optic down the line, you may want to consider a full length free floated handguard, with Magpul BUIS on it, so you don't have to worry about that pesky A2 front sight obscuring your sight plate with a magnified optic.

I actually have a plan to build a 20" AR with A2 upper and go M16A2/M16A4 retro with it. Aero currently has the M16A4 blem lowers on sale and I'm going to be picking one up, just for this.

Yeah your right, everyone has a carbine, you don’t see to many 20” rifles at the range.
    Like I said, I’m liking that old school look, and have been on the fence about building a A2 or a M16A4 clone. Disapators are cool as well, I like the longer sight radius, and longer hand guards. Just too many options. Lol

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

So hear what you are saying, I got bit by the A2 Retro bug myself. Now I shoot only iron sights, so am OK with the pure A2 upper... If you want to do any shooting with a scope, an A3 with a carry handle is probably the way to go. Disapater gives you carbine gas, with rifle sight distances. To me, and it's just me, that is a "looks" thing only. Your experience may vary....

A2 upper, to me is just such the classic AR look. You can go old style M16 with a duck bill flash hider, or XM177 ish with a long flash hider welded to a short barrel. I will tell you, that even with a "heavy" profile, it is lighter than a govt profile M4. This is currently my favorite rifle at the moment. The CAR handguards really slim it down compared to the fatter M4s.

I couldn't go full retro because I am left handed so still need the shell deflector. but this is what I ended up with..... (also showing my 20 inch A2 for reference)

Attachments

• AR_105.jpg
      AR_105.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 218
    • lastar.jpg
      lastar.jpg
      118 KB · Views: 214

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yeah your right, everyone has a carbine, you don’t see to many 20” rifles at the range.
    Like I said, I’m liking that old school look, and have been on the fence about building a A2 or a M16A4 clone. Disapators are cool as well, I like the longer sight radius, and longer hand guards. Just too many options. Lol

You get the parts together for a build, let me know. When I am in MD, I'm still in Fredneck County.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Disapater gives you carbine gas, with rifle sight distances. To me, and it's just me, that is a "looks" thing only. Your experience may vary....

The Delton is made using a rifle length gas system, with the gas port opened up, for reliability. That’s why I was looking into them. Not that 556 recoils hard, but wouldn’t this system run more smoothly, recoil wise?

I couldn't go full retro because I am left handed so still need the shell deflector.

I’m also a left handed shooter, otherwise I’d build a SP1 copy for sure.

I’m probably going with a A2 or A4, but I’m still interested in the disapator with the rifle gas system.
    Anyone here own, or shot a disapator with a rifle gas system?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Am actual dissy clone would be really cool, and not too overdone.
    Basically a Vietnam era m16 cut down to 16" like the Colt 605. A2 clones can be neat but are relatively common. If you want optics and "modern" handling and convenience then don't half azz it, just build a monolith "REESE-ish" carbine with a rail close to the length of the barrel like everyone else. Might be boring, but they are awesome, and no FSB to annoy a sight picture.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Disapater gives you carbine gas, with rifle sight distances. To me, and it's just me, that is a "looks" thing only. Your experience may vary....

There are Disspators with rifle length gas systems, but I think these have potential reliability issues. Most Disspators are as you say; carbine gas systems with rifle length sights. I think it's a great idea if you use irons and want a handier rifle than a 20"; especially for an HBAR that is going to be very heavy with a 20" barrel.

And you gotta admit; they look cool.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
      DSC_0011.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 123

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There are Disspators with rifle length gas systems, but I think these have potential reliability issues. Most Disspators are as you say; carbine gas systems with rifle length sights. I think it's a great idea if you use irons and want a handier rifle than a 20"; especially for an HBAR that is going to be very heavy with a 20" barrel.

Those are nice. Building a dissy has always been on my list.

556Plinker

Dec 9, 2018
    Dissipators are fun. This is a Bushmaster 16" carbine gas that I put an A1 fixed stock on and a DD Omega rail.

Attachments

• Dissy.jpg
      Dissy.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 104

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

That dissy definitely looks cool. The reason I was thinking about the disapator was because of the weight, and like I said I would be using open sites.
    I was looking a rifle length gas though. I think they have fixed the reliability by opening up the gas port.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That dissy definitely looks cool. The reason I was thinking about the disapator was because of the weight, and like I said I would be using open sites.
    I was looking a rifle length gas though. I think they have fixed the reliability by opening up the gas port.

Well - DelTon is one top look at then. I think they even have an HBAR model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom