• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The latest year I've seen them proofed with was 2006. I'm not sure if the Italians kept ordering them after they had been discontinued or if that's the proofing date when they were first sold out of govt service as surplus. I've also seen ones without civilian proof marks on them, but also don't know if that's because they were never proofed originally as govt guns or if they missed them when selling them out of service.

Called Beretta with the serial# and it was not even in their database. They confirmed the date these were discontinued.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    FFl confirmed mine was 1972 to 1975 time frame. MSP gave them a hard time since the 92S was not specifically on the roster. They had to let them know it was made pre 85

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Whored up mine with some Pachmayr grips. Got these at a gun show years ago stupidly thinking they were for a 1911. Turns out they were 92S. I mangled a grip screw and will need to replace that.

Attachments

• 6BDA4C8D-05B6-4830-957A-A609EFBAE11D.jpg
      6BDA4C8D-05B6-4830-957A-A609EFBAE11D.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 244
    • 55143E54-B05F-4F04-AA40-60A49BF37224.jpg
      55143E54-B05F-4F04-AA40-60A49BF37224.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 242

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The BEST Beretta Is A Taurus

6 years from now these will be 500 bucks
    Six years from now, my $300 will be worth $500. I didn't see the ad, so I think they changed the link.

For people who want Berettas at a good price, they should buy Taurus PT-92s. Yeah, I hate Taurus, too, but the PT-92/99s are an exception. In the 1980s and early 90s, my Taurus PT-92s were just as reliable as Berettas, but not as accurate. That's why I dumped them. The finish also wasn't too great. But in the mid-2000s I got a nice, shiny stainless PT-92 and took it to the range. I didn't expect it to be any better.

But I was wrong. It actually was just as good as my old Beretta 92s. And it's beautiful. I love stainless steel and while this gun looks a bit flashy, it doesn't jam and it's accurate! And Taurus claims its metallurgy is such that you'll never end up with a slide in your teeth. (But the problem with Berettas never plagued the civilian ownership.)

So if you want a Beretta, give the Taurus a look. You may be pleasantly surprised. But you can keep their revolvers!

The safeties on the Taurus are, in my view, far superior to that
    of the Beretta. The Beretta has a hammer-drop safety, period. The
    Taurus has hammer-drop and cock-and-lock safeties!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Six years from now, my $300 will be worth $500. I didn't see the ad, so I think they changed the link.

For people who want Berettas at a good price, they should buy Taurus PT-92s. Yeah, I hate Taurus, too, but the PT-92/99s are an exception. In the 1980s and early 90s, my Taurus PT-92s were just as reliable as Berettas, but not as accurate. That's why I dumped them. The finish also wasn't too great. But in the mid-2000s I got a nice, shiny stainless PT-92 and took it to the range. I didn't expect it to be any better.

But I was wrong. It actually was just as good as my old Beretta 92s. And it's beautiful. I love stainless steel and while this gun looks a bit flashy, it doesn't jam and it's accurate! And Taurus claims its metallurgy is such that you'll never end up with a slide in your teeth. (But the problem with Berettas never plagued the civilian ownership.)

So if you want a Beretta, give the Taurus a look. You may be pleasantly surprised. But you can keep their revolvers!

The safeties on the Taurus are, in my view, far superior to that
    of the Beretta. The Beretta has a hammer-drop safety, period. The
    Taurus has hammer-drop and cock-and-lock safeties!

The early Taurus revolvers were built on S&W machines. They were identical.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The early Taurus revolvers were built on S&W machines. They were identical.
    The one thing that has always troubled me is, how can Taurus afford to polish their guns to perfection when Smith & Wesson stainless revolvers always looked like they were refinished by a bunch of orangutans with steel wool? Same thing with certain knives. Some five dollar knives have a great polish while more expensive knives give you stone wash finishes that are probably cheaper.

The one good thing I can say about Taurus revolvers is that they have the best stainless polishes on the market. Alas, the last one I bought, an 85 .38 Special, was beautiful, but the chambers were little more than drilled holes with no throats. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Same thing with a gorgeous Model 66 that followed. That's when I stopped buying them. Stayed with Ruger ever since. The Taurus revolvers had the accuracy of a derringer. Nothing better. Gave it to an old girlfriend who would most likely only use it at table top distances. If she had to use her sights, she'd never hit anything or anyone.

(Rossis, on the other hand, were excellent little guns. Not quite as beautiful, but accurate and durable. Very dependable guns. I still have an 88 that's incredible.)

Rossi 88 .38 Special (Circa 1985)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've got an old Taurus (I believe a 669) based on the S&W 66. It is one of the best shooting revolvers I own. It out shoots my S&W 686. But this gun is decades old. I haven't bought any revolvers in a long time, but I have heard much different than what's been said above. Don't buy their pistols but they make a good revolver.

Who knows anymore.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I have an old (mid 1980's) Taurus 669 357 that shoots very well. I have a Taurus PT92 from 2003 that I'm also very pleased with.

With Taurus I guess you pays your monies and takes your chances.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have an old (mid 1980's) Taurus 669 357 that shoots very well. I have a Taurus PT92 from 2003 that I'm also very pleased with.

With Taurus I guess you pays your monies and takes your chances.

I think those older PT92 pistols were built on Beretta machinery too.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Beretta won a contract with the Brazilian military. Guns were required to be made in Brazil. When the contract was finished the complete factory was sold to Taurus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom