• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

:thumbsup:

The Model 10 is the all purpose handgun. The .38 Special round is powerful enough to work as a defense round and comfortable enough to use as a range round. The 4 inch barreled Model 10 is concealable, solid without being super heavy, and there are a myriad of grips available for it to make it as comfortable as you wish.

I owned a few other handguns, but was not convinced I had found the one until I got a Model 10.

There is a reason it was the signature law enforcment handgun for nearly a century.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    :thumbsup:

The Model 10 is the all purpose handgun. The .38 Special round is powerful enough to work as a defense round and comfortable enough to use as a range round. The 4 inch barreled Model 10 is concealable, solid without being super heavy, and there are a myriad of grips available for it to make it as comfortable as you wish.

I owned a few other handguns, but was not convinced I had found the one until I got a Model 10.

There is a reason it was the signature law enforcment handgun for nearly a century.

It also comes in a snub...

400px-S%26WModel10Snub.jpg

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    No need to get snappy. You're reading too much into my comment.

Having read the thread, at no point did I get the impression that she wanted the snub. However, snub nosed revolvers are a favorite of husbands and significant others who think that she wants a snub. Notice all of the pink snubbies and Ladysmiths out there? They're playing to a stereotype of what men think women want, not necessarily trying to attract female customers.

If she wants a snub though, that's fine.

I also provided multiple suggestions - none of which were autos.

SP 101 - It's a big snub and just about the smallest thing that can comfortably shoot .357
    Detective Special or S&W Model 36 - both widely available used
    MK III Trooper Snub - hard to find, but it's basically a Python at a much lower price. I swear by mine.
    Model 686 - maybe a little too bulky, but very easy to find

Beyond that, practically every Smith in every frame comes in a snub nosed version. Try wading through the used market and see what you find. The model 10 snub does a nice job holding down the middle ground in terms of size and weight.

You did read the opening post...right?

:party29:

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I know she loves the charter arms one with the pink frame. I'll get her opinion on this next.

Anyone know if the rhino will be in pink any time soon? She loves the pink guns, bht the ability to shoot the hot loads in a small frame comfortably with the rhino sounds appealing to her. Not cause she cant handle full loads out of a little gun, just cause everyone enjoys comfortable shooting.

If it has the aluminum frame....it is going to be great to carry, being a lite weight gun...but it will sting your hands. It is only good for "in the moment" with the adrenaline rushing.

It's great to hear more females interested in guns/hunting/defense. Go to some gun shops, handle a bunch of revolvers, and go with what feels right.

Girlfriend might be able to make a better choice depending on where/how it is carried. In a good size handbag size/weight isn't as great a concern. (sp101 & GP100 Ruger)(8:40 video) If under a dress...well maybe the Charter in a 38spcl...and probably something even smaller.

And for the guys:

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    So the gf is interested in maybe getting one. Not anytime soon, but just asking ideas.

She kinda digs all black grips, likes the look, and the comfort aspect.

also, def prefers with a hammer, so not feeling the lcr.

So, what do you guys suggest as a pretty 357 snub for her. Post pics.

A nice 3" J frame might work..

001-1.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If ignoring CCW, then a 3" S&W Model 60 (non-Pro) or Ruger SP101.

If CCW is possible, then ditch the exposed hammer and go with something like S&W Model 640 (non-Pro, all stainless steel).

If weight will be an issue for CCW, then probably a plain-old .38Sp+P S&W Model 442 (black). Start out with full wadcutters for lowest recoil during practice. Consider adding Pachmayr Compac grips ($25-$30) to tame recoil. Same goes for Model 642 (silver paint with clearcoat).

Didn't notice if you mentioned her hand size anywhere. If she has small hands or short fingers and is concerned out being able to use a DA trigger, then she should handle a 442 if she hasn't yet. My wife has tiny hands. Out of all the revolvers she's tried (dozens), she can only use the DA trigger on the 442. But she has to shoot low-recoil rounds because the 442 is so light. She cannot operate a model 60LS in DA mode, even though it has grips with an exposed backstrap like the 442. I suspect it has something to do with the fully-exposed hammer.

Good luck in your search.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The cutest .357 snub is the Python with a 2.5" bbl. It's a good range gun, too.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Not sure if this uploads, but I guess it shows my skill to make even the best-looking gun look like crap.

Attachments

• python 003.jpg
      python 003.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 244

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have a Rossi 877 .357 mag revolver with a 2" barrel that I bought back in the 90's. I don't shoot it very often, but my wife liked shooting it with 38 special ammo. Shooting it with full power 357 ammo is like setting off cherry bombs in your hand. It's fun watching people's expressions when I touch off a full power load at an indoor range. The flash and concussion is enormous.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    If ignoring CCW, then a 3" S&W Model 60 (non-Pro) or Ruger SP101.

If CCW is possible, then ditch the exposed hammer and go with something like S&W Model 640 (non-Pro, all stainless steel).

The S&W 640 or 649 is my choice because of being all stainless steel and the 2" bbl

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I agree with fivepointstar. Often people think they know what the want but end up with the wrong gun. If I hear the whole "one shot, one kill" idea one more time I may lose it. If my wife were to carry I would much rather her have the ability to keep the target in her sights for multiple shots. I don't care if she is shooting a .22, if thats what she can shoot under stress so be it. I will take the odds on a lower caliber with multiple shots any day of the week...and yes, I am a betting man.

With that said get her what she likes...if she doesnt like how it looks or feels it wont matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom