Maryland Small Arms Range - What an experience! (in a bad way)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    MSAR is a fun range! The employees there are cool! Fun crowds! Hot chicks daily!

Cant wait for the new range

freegrrl

Jun 19, 2012
    Maryland!
    Sue the bastards and when you own it you can staff it with proper RSO's. Of course given the location there is not usually any humans involved. They should just rent it to gangs so they can have a safe place to shoot each other.

I have to second this! How are there this many kids in there goofing around WITH GUNS and no one does anything?

I think my husband took me to 340 Defense - it was outdoor but a REALLY nice place - the owner was very nice and it was my first experience shooting and the whole atmosphere of the people working there and the other shooters was very laid back. I'd say check that out - its a bit of a drive from Frederick but worth it.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm headed over to MSAR this afternoon. I'll report back again with whatever shenanigans I witness this time. :rolleyes:

Edit: Well, no shenanigans at MSAR while I was there; oh well. I did ask one of the dudes about the new joint and he said probably not til September. Last I asked, it was July. Seems like a lot of schedule creep. Their building contractor must suck ass or something.

Last edited:

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Yeah I was there yesterday and they told me August. Also had a guy there who tried to ask everyone to "cease-fire" because his target fell off the carrier and he wanted to get it. I don't think he got it because most kept firing. Place is dangerous, they should invest in a rso at the new joint...

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    There are times when I read negative things (ie too strict, certain types of shooting prohibited) about cresap, but after read this...

I'm glad cresap operates as they they do!

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    I always feel that the crowd as Cresap (and I do mean crowd) is responsible and handle firearms safely. The people next to me at MSAR, not so much.

TheGoodSoldier

Oath Keeper
    Jan 25, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I've only been to the new MSAR range twice now. My first expiriance was pretty good. Compared to the expensive gilberts range and other ranges far from my location MSAR was a good choice. I liked it, the lanes where nice and I actually didn't have to put up with many...."questionable shooters" there as it was pretty much empty.

However, upon my return there was a plethora of these individuals and even a guy who seemed to be practicing his sideways "gangsta" shooting. (I'd like to note that his target was completely reusable) There seemed to be no end to these individuals who seemed to have no idea what they were doing and flagged not only myself but my three friends who I brought there for their first experience with a firearm. After having put up with all that nonsense my friends and I ran out of ammo and decided to pack up and head home...well I had used my ID to rent the lane and when I went to go pick it up it seems as if one of the employee's had given my ID to someone else!

Let me back up here a second. We were told we were assigned lane 1 on the pistol range, however when we stepped inside someone else was already using that lane. I stepped back out to inform them what had happened and the guy who helped us out told us to take lane 2 but to remember that my ID was being held on the lane 1 slot in case when we stepped out he was not there to help us. (I found this questionable but did not argue.) Back to the matter at hand. One of the other employee's had appeared and both myself and the employee (The one who helped us out to begin with.) began to suspect this other guy may have "accidentaly" given my ID away. Now normally this wouldn't be such a big problem to me but it was my learners permit...it's been almost a week now and no one has called and returned to MSAR about receiving the wrong ID. I'm hoping when I call the MVA and tell them what happened summarized of course) that they will allow me to print out a new LP for myself rather than have to go through that pain in the ass process of getting a new LP. A lady who called me saying she was trying to figure out what had happened and better yet WHY it happened handled the situation fairly well and aside from possibly having to retake that acursed LP test and paying $50 for it I'm not too upset. They said that if that becomes the case I can bring the receipt to them and they will reimburse me ontop and covering lane fee's for the day. I'm almost tempted to poke and prod for a little more considering that this is actually a much bigger deal than I'm letting it be. I actually don't mind the MSAR range all too much and would like to continue going there as it is a nice place to go where my cousin and I can meet up half way (He lives in VA) and have a range day without one of us traveling too far. Just now I'm almost nervous to give up my ID to them again because I don't want my ID taken by someone and not even have that person come back and say "You gave me the wrong ID."

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Wow, this seems to be an ongoing problem for MSAR. You would think after the first incident they would take additional steps to make sure this does not happen again. After the second will they???

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    How many places hold you DL, either at a range when you shoot, or at other places for other purposes. I can't recall anytime recently when I surrendered my DL. Maybe MSAR should hold on to something else.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    My opinion of MSAR had been more or less neutral until my last two experiences with them - both before the move. The last time I was there, the wait was too long, so I left. The time before that I contact them about their offer in the Yellow Pages to buy gun collection from estates and collectors. I had bunch of guns that I wanted to get rid of at the time. What they offered me was in the range of 10 to 20 cents to the dollar. A total rip off. Needless to say, I didn't sell them my guns. My opinion of them since has been negative. I don't intend to bother checking out their new location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom