Maryland Small Arms Range - What an experience! (in a bad way)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    WOW,, scarey stuff!!!! The worst thing I have seen at AGC was a guy who was shooting at a low target, his rounds were skipping off the ground. (It was raining and VERY obvious the rounds were not making it to the berm) We warned him a few times, when he continued,, we advised the RSO who went to advise him to use a taller stand,, which he finally did,, all was well. When I got my Glock I shot a few times at Continental,, was amazed by the number of holes in the ceiling, and the number of pings from the I beam. BTW,, what is above the ceiling tiles at Continental? Is there substantial steel or concrete?

Tom

JoeDarko

May 25, 2012
    maryland small arms is horrible

I am new to gun ownership but i have been to a couple ranges around the area and today was almost my last shooting experience ever. I thought it was weird that not everyone in my group had to give there id and only one person with me had to sign anything. At On Target in Severn you have to sign a paper saying you read the rules and complied with them. They even kind of seem snobby almost trying to get the point across that you need to be safe there. Not at MSAR. I walked in to the 90 degree range with no ventilation and was shocked to see people shooting targets they could almost reach out and grab from their lane. In Severn there is a 25' min distance. i had only shot 50 rounds when i turned around to talk to my friend when WHAM!!!! i was SHOT IN THE FACE!!!! some idiots were shooting at these targets yelling HEAD SHOT HEAD SHOT and they hit the metal clip that holds the target and it came back and hit me in my face. i was bleeding immediately and it freaked me out. If i was facing forward it could have hit me in my eyes and maybe killed me. it felt like some one had hit me with a baseball bat. i immediately left the range where they worked on my face all the while telling me that this happens all the time. i couldn't believe it. I was pissed off. Then they refused to fully reimburse me. the least they could have done was give me my money back. the manager was not in. there were a few people trying to be nice but whoever was in charge was a complete jerk. PLEASE DONT GO THERE. there is no supervision at all. your seriously risking a lot there. I don't really know what to do if anything legal, if anyone reads this let me know what you think.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sue the bastards and when you own it you can staff it with proper RSO's. Of course given the location there is not usually any humans involved. They should just rent it to gangs so they can have a safe place to shoot each other.

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    I never understood the whole metal clip at gun ranges. It is pretty easy to guess something like that will happen

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I refuse to go to msar on the weekends due to all the wanna be gangstas that I have seen there. My work schedule allows me to hit it during the week when the just open. That being said I have had my fair share of safety issues there even then. I was there one morning shooting minding my own business and there was an instructor training a young female security guard.

He was training her to shoot from different positions standing, kneeling, from cover and what ever else they use. All of a sudden while I'm shooting I hear him screaming " no no no stop stop stop!". I turn around to see her standing half behind me eyes closed finger on the trigger gun pointed right at me. Needless to say I puckered up real quick and ducked out of the way. The instructor was very apologetic and she was scolded quite badly by him. I let her have it too as politely as I could. I'm not a complete ass all the time. I moved two lanes away from them and went about my business.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I refuse to go to msar on the weekends due to all the wanna be gangstas that I have seen there. My work schedule allows me to hit it during the week when the just open. That being said I have had my fair share of safety issues there even then. I was there one morning shooting minding my own business and there was an instructor training a young female security guard.

He was training her to shoot from different positions standing, kneeling, from cover and what ever else they use. All of a sudden while I'm shooting I hear him screaming " no no no stop stop stop!". I turn around to see her standing half behind me eyes closed finger on the trigger gun pointed right at me. Needless to say I puckered up real quick and ducked out of the way. The instructor was very apologetic and she was scolded quite badly by him. I let her have it too as politely as I could. I'm not a complete ass all the time. I moved two lanes away from them and went about my business.

was that they call russian rollete drill?lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    was that they call russian rollete drill?lol

Sounds more like an improvised bladder control test, more than a few people would've either dropped bricks or been walking out wet finding themselves in that situation.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I grew up in a not very nice area of p.g. County. It's not the 1st time I've had a gun pointed at me or been shot at. It sucks and I don't want to be shot but it doesnt phase me that bad as it would most people.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I realize MSAR isn't known for policing safety strictly with its clientele, but has anyone had similar experiences there?

Not there. (Never been there, myself) But I have had similar experiences with similar clientele.

I was at another rage (which I no longer go to) and some gangsta wannabee and his "posse" had rented an AR15 and a couple other guns. He leaned the AR15 against the bulkhead. As I was coming out of my lane, he backed into it, and it fell over and hit the floor aiming right at my feet! Now, I'm not talking "close". I mean when it came to rest it was pointed directly at my feet. (Safety was OFF)

The guy looked over at me, (I was glaring at him with that "Are you out of your ****ing MIND?" look), leaned down, picked up the AR, and just went on about his binnis. No "I'm sorry", "GTH", "FY", nothin'. Not even a "My bad!"

I went out and said something to one of the employees behind the counter, but they were all busy waiting on other customers. Nobody ever did come back and say anything to the guy.

Now, I know that these things aren't supposed to "go off" if they are dropped. Never the less, it sure left me with an uneasy feeling.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Never been to MSAR and from what I am seeing, I don't think I will ever go there. All I can do is shake my head and hope that Darwin's rule (or is it law) of Evolution will thin the herd somehow.

Most ranges that I have been to have RSO's ACTIVELY walking the line and jumping on people that screw up (Cresap in Frederick is one). A few incidents come to mind at Cresap.

1. I had picked up my H&K P2000 V2 in .40S&W about a week before taking it to the range the first time, during the wait, I had read the manual 10 times, stripped, cleaned and lubed the weapon. I get to the range and I know that the V2 has the LEM trigger mod installed. I get set up at my bench and get ready to fire. I pull the trigger and release it slightly, then BOOM a second shot gets sent down range. Unintentional mind you but I had 2 unhappy RSO's right there before I could drop the mag and eject the round in the chamber. I was informed of no rapid firing as I cleared the weapon. After clearing the weapon I explained the situation and they immediately understood that I had never fired it before today and that I needed to get used to the factory installed trigger mod (very understanding about the issue). I went back to shooting and about 100 rounds later I double-tapped again. Same RSO's came up and asked if I was still having a problem, I responded in the negative and said that I thought I released the trigger fully and they let me be.

2. Same day as above the genius (sarcasm) next to me was shooting with a Glock or other polymer framed handgun. He looks back at his buddy who asked him something and swept an RSO, myself and 2 other people with a hot weapon (there was smoke curling out the end of the barrel) while his finger was pulling on the trigger. The RSO walked up to him had him unload the weapon and ejected the guy and his buddy right there in the spot.

3. On the rifle range at Cresap I am sitting there with the bolt open on my AR, with a mag inserted. The guy next to me is sending a shot every 1-3 seconds and I can see where the impacts are due to pieces of the baffling flying off, chunks of the wood target holders falling, etc... I look thru the spotting scope and see that he has drilled my targets, his targets, and the targets on the lane next to him (nobody was in that lane). The RSO's come running down and give me the 5th degree and I show that I haven't fired a shot, so they tell the guy to stop rapid firing and he needs to aim every shot. He started doing it again, and the RSO's come down and ejected him from the range.

4. Numerous times I have seen the yuppies from Spring Ridge (sorry to any members that do live in Spring Ridge) try the gangsta shooting or do other ludicrous things that violate the basic rules of gun safety 3 ways from Sunday. The RSO's tell them to stop and if they fail to comply with the safety rules, the RSO's eject them from the range.

I have been to the range at Sleepy Creek State Park in Morgan County WV and although it is a public range with no RSO's on duty, I have never seen any of the shooters violate the rules of gun safety at the range.

In my opinion a range is only as good as the RSO's that are overseeing it.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have been to the range at Sleepy Creek State Park in Morgan County WV and although it is a public range with no RSO's on duty, I have never seen any of the shooters violate the rules of gun safety at the range.

In my opinion a range is only as good as the RSO's that are overseeing it.
    Your second statement would seem to be somewhat at odds with your first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom