• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    These are legal for " Law Abiding" Citizens.:)

CLass 3 ( NFA) items such as machineguns, destructive devices, short barreled rifles/ shotguns, Sound suppressors( silencers) and AOW ( any other weapons) are legal to own in Maryland if you meet all the requirements set forth by the State and Feds. The purchasing and transfers of these weapons are strictly regulated and are done by federally registered Class3 dealers. Authorization for transfer is screened by the Chief law enforcement official ( CLEO) before it is signed off.
    BATFE then take over and process the transfer . They will also conduct additional checks. It takes approximately 4 months to process each transfer. Also, a $200 tax stamp is required for each transfered weapon.

Machineguns are also annually registered in MD.:cool:
    Just to add, Destructive Devices are legal in MD, but some of them may require an explosives license as I read it. So no license needed for the grenade launcher, but a MD explosives license is probably needed for the exploding grenades.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    are these things legal for regular citizens to have?

These are legal for " Law Abiding" Citizens.:)

CLass 3 ( NFA) items such as machineguns, destructive devices, short barreled rifles/ shotguns, Sound suppressors( silencers) and AOW ( any other weapons) are legal to own in Maryland if you meet all the requirements set forth by the State and Feds. The purchasing and transfers of these weapons are strictly regulated and are done by federally registered Class3 dealers. Authorization for transfer is screened by the Chief law enforcement official ( CLEO) before it is signed off.
    BATFE then take over and process the transfer . They will also conduct additional checks. It takes approximately 4 months to process each transfer. Also, a $200 tax stamp is required for each transfered weapon.

Machineguns are also annually registered in MD.:cool:

Chasta McNasty, I am assuming you are new to ARs and I'm not sure how much you know, so forgive me if these are things you already know. And please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Semi Auto AR15 RIFLES are fully legal. Please make sure you understand that no matter what the liberal media says, these are NOT assault rifles. They may have some of the same parts, but they are as much an assault rifle as a 747 is a fighter jet.

As SCARCQB stated, true assault rifles, those rifles capable of select rate of fire - M16/M4 (ie, Semi, Burst and Full auto), barrels shorter than 16" or suppressors (aka-silencers) are regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) and are legal to buy, but requires the purchaser to jump through a lot of hoops to get them.

In MD, the HBAR (Heavy Barrel) AR are, for the most part, treated as regular rifles (cash and carry with a NICS check). Other styles (usually the 16" or M4 style) are viewed as regulated and require the 8+ day wait and MSP check like a hand gun. These rifles are SEMI-AUTO only. They fire one round per trigger pull.

There are others here with A LOT more knowledge than me about the AR, but I can tell you, they are a lot of fun to shoot.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Chasta McNasty, I am assuming you are new to ARs and I'm not sure how much you know, so forgive me if these are things you already know. And please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Semi Auto AR15 RIFLES are fully legal. Please make sure you understand that no matter what the liberal media says, these are NOT assault rifles. They may have some of the same parts, but they are as much an assault rifle as a 747 is a fighter jet.

As SCARCQB stated, true assault rifles, those rifles capable of select rate of fire - M16/M4 (ie, Semi, Burst and Full auto), barrels shorter than 16" or suppressors (aka-silencers) are regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) and are legal to buy, but requires the purchaser to jump through a lot of hoops to get them.

In MD, the HBAR (Heavy Barrel) AR are, for the most part, treated as regular rifles (cash and carry with a NICS check). Other styles (usually the 16" or M4 style) are viewed as regulated and require the 8+ day wait and MSP check like a hand gun. These rifles are SEMI-AUTO only. They fire one round per trigger pull.

There are others here with A LOT more knowledge than me about the AR, but I can tell you, they are a lot of fun to shoot.

This is what makes this site so facinating. Lots of friendly knowledgeable people that are willing to help out.... Marylanders Rock!:party29:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Yeah I colorfilled it with Testors. It's easy to do and I think looks pretty good. I'm not doing it to all my Ar's but wanted something different on this one. The colorfilled fire control however I'm doing to all of them.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm doing a lower with the logo in red right now just to see which I like best. I figured I'd use different colored logos to differentiate the lowers since they will be identical except for triggers. One target lower with a very light JArd and one two stage RRA.
    arred.jpg

Last edited:

snoopaloop

Mar 5, 2009
    Middle River
    Here's mine, with all the LaRue accoutrements that came with the DMR-16 upper

Mystuff007.jpg

I know, needs moar optic. I want to get AR #2 before I start dumping cash into optics.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    i know this is horrible timing to break but man i want to build a damn ar,this thread has turned me from a hater back to a believer

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    It is almost foolproof how to get it to look this nice. I just shaved a toothpick pointy and then roughed up the point to hold paint. Then I carefully filled in the engraving with paint. Now here comes the tricky part. Any excess or bleeding you just wipe off with a paper towel with a dab of lacquer thinner. The thinner will only remove the excess on the surface and not the paint in the recesses. It's really very very simple to do. There's nothing special about my finish it's more a matter of lighting and camera.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    another thing you can do is run chalk over it and then brush the extra off with your hand,but I think russ d's idea is pretty clever and i would probably do that

Finn

waiting for the zombies
    Feb 28, 2009
    Columbia
    running chalk would work for a photo but any handling of it would knock it all loose.

Crayons or a Greese pencile are the other ways to do it. they will last a while and can be cleaned out if you decide down the road you dont like the look.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    ive used chalk and it stayed in for like 2 or 3 days,its really just a method to bring out your serial number like a step down from putting a peice of tape with a number on your weapon

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    if any of you have a hair on your ass you will put a peice of extremely adhesive green tape on your buttstock with a your last 4 on it and let it almost permanently be baked on or just stencil and spray paint a sloppy 2 digit number and post a picture of it(some of you might understand the humor of this)
    lets see you do that to your pretty rifles

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom