• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I love my sr1911. Really accurate and not that expensive. Paid a little of $625 on gunbroker about two months ago.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    This is for anybody that's looking for an SR1911 CMD: On Target still has one left for $745'ish. They're telling customers they can pick up their guns after 8 business days (14 calendar days, to be safe). If you choose to do this, you will have to sign a waiver.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A cost prudent way to get a high grip improvement on a GI frame follows. You may want to replace the suggested parts or modify them as indicated. Modifying the existing parts will not affect safety and internal fitting. Plus you may easily return it to stock. If you decide to use other GI configured parts and save the originals a pistolsmith can do it for you.

Grind the present spur safety to a profile which greatly emmulates to original 1911 short spur safety. Blend the gripping surface to follow the frame contour with the GS fully depressed. Knock off the lower sharp edges. Bob the hammer just so it doesn't chew up the web of your hand. Finish as appropriate.

You'll find this works better than any 'drop-in' for the GI configured pistol since there are no pinch points or unsightly gaps. Recoil control is good and not hard on the hands.

Last edited:

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Well I ended up getting a Remington R1. I went back tonight and held the RIA GI, RIA Tactical, and the R1. I also took a Springfield in hand, but in the end, I stuck to the R1 and went with the standard in blued finish. While I liked the stainless one (it is buttery smooth), the blued finish just looked more traditional to my eye. It still had that no frills appeal to my eye, that I like about the 1911. Now the wait til early September.

I'll have to see how the factory mags are. I might pick up some 8-round Mec-Gar. I hadn't consider Tripps, thanks for the heads up on those.

Thanks to all.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Thanks to all who responded here. It gave me some things to think about, and in the end, when I signed my name, I felt good about it. I feel like the folks here (there were also a couple of PMs sent behind the scenes) provide a wide range of view points, and that caused me to look at a couple of angles I hadn't considered. If I had bought last night, it would have been the RIA GI.

Perhaps I'll still get one of those (not in this state, though), but I think the R1 will keep me from getting frustrated while really getting used to the platform and the step up in caliber for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom