• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openshutter7

Jan 12, 2013
    Had a S&W 15-22, but always coveted my friends Ruger. Bonus points for the 10/22 being the most widely owned 22 on the planet, making extra mags and bullets far easier to find after the zombie apocalypse.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I like the CZ myself; I would recommend a Remington Nylon 66, but they are hard to find and over priced (I have two of them, and gave one to my daughter).

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    I hate to say but the way things are looking this may be our only choice.
    Single shot.
    folder_zps85d5b006.jpg

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    BOLT ACTION.
    Yes the 10/22 and the other semi autos are fun, but for teaching someone the basics a bolt action is a much better choice. Personally I have a Marlin XT22, it's a good value for the money.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I recommend taking your wife in to select what she wants. She may surprise you.

Mine vastly preferred the appearance of a wooden stock over synthetic. She also didn't like the lines of the Marlin 60, 10/22 or Savage 64, and was specifically turned off by the tactical appearance of AR style 22's.

In the end she picked out a lever action, which I hadn't even been considering before, and which I've now taken a liking to myself.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    It really depends.
    A bolt /lever action is a great teaching/learning rifle. And you can shot ammo that won't cycle through a semi. But you do have to hand cycle each round.

A semi auto such as the 10/22 has it's pros and cons too. You can train someone with a semi just as safe. Just put one round in the magizine. You can still shoot low velocity ammo through it, you just have to manually cycle the action each time.

It's what you want out of the firearm in the long haul.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I like the CZ myself; I would recommend a Remington Nylon 66, but they are hard to find and over priced (I have two of them, and gave one to my daughter).

My 66 is the sweetest cycling .22 auto I've ever shot. I agree they are over priced at this time ... like many things, I wish I had bought a few of them 10+ years ago for teaching kids to shoot. Kids love the light weight and low recoil Remington built into these. The way the action absorbs the recoil, you would think the gun weighs a ton ... but it doesn't ... its probably the lightest gun of any suggested on this thread.

It might not be the gun someone wants to shoot or own after they've shot a few hundred rounds, but its definitely a very fine gun for your first shot.

EDIT: my daughter has a Marlin 60 and an SKS of her own that she loves to shoot ... but still never turns down a chance to shoot my 66.

Last edited:

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I love my Marlin 60. It is pretty accurate right out of the box, and cheap to shoot. It does pretty good even with the cheap bulk ammo.

My buddy in college had a Savage Mark II bolt action and I loved that one too. I will invest in one at some point. I don't really think you can go wrong with a .22.

Dec 31, 2012
    The Marlin 60 tube fed is a nice rifle. It's the one I shot 25 years ago and I still take it out once in awhile. It was years old when I started using it and it is just as accurate now as it was then. You can buy tube speed loaders for them.
    I have 10/22's that are just as great and very customizable.
    Father in law has a pump 22 that feeds shorts, long, long rifle.
    Another relative has a lever action 22.
    My daughter has been eyeing a pink single shot.

The list of 22 rifles is long.

There is no end to variation and quality when it comes to 22 rifles.

Let her pick with some educated guidance and ultimately have fun with it.

...provided you can find some ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom