What has the worst recoil that you've ever shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    All high powered rifles and jacked up(deer slug) shotguns hurt to shoot with my completely torn and only semi-rebuilt shoulder. Funny, I never feel a thing when I'm using these same guns on critters...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    .50 DE is on par with .44 Mag from typical revolver , weight is your friend to soak up recoil .

The DE grip is Big even for me , with gorilla sized hands , it's probably a struggle for average sized people .

Despite the push back from them being icons of bad action movies and rap videos , they are good, accurate guns for their intended purposes , just Big .

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I shot a 600 nitro express and had a bruised shoulder and chest for over a month. It makes my .500 S&W feel really tame.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I had a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby , It was in the used rack and I had to have it , It had been there for some time so I got a good deal on it and a box of Federal ammo with 3 rds missing , I ordered a second box and it was 135.00 but I was into it , I fired 3 rds standing and put it away sold at a gun show to someone who had to have it too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shot a 600 nitro express and had a bruised shoulder and chest for over a month. It makes my .500 S&W feel really tame.

That .500 S&W was never fun to shoot. It made the .454 Casull a true pleasure.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    That .500 S&W was never fun to shoot. It made the .454 Casull a true pleasure.

My .500 S&W Magnum Research BFR has a 7.5-inch barrel. It weighs 4.7 pounds empty. When I go the range, I typically shoot over 60 rounds with no issues. I would rather shoot it than my 40 caliber S&W Khar CM40 which has a real snappy recoil. Right now, I have been shooting 380gr HCFNGC rounds. Let a couple of the fells at the range shoot it. They said they have heard a lot about one but never shot one and it was not as bad as they were led to bereave but it still has a strong recoil.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My .500 S&W Magnum Research BFR has a 7.5-inch barrel. It weighs 4.7 pounds empty. When I go the range, I typically shoot over 60 rounds with no issues. I would rather shoot it than my 40 caliber S&W Khar CM40 which has a real snappy recoil. Right now, I have been shooting 380gr HCFNGC rounds. Let a couple of the fells at the range shoot it. They said they have heard a lot about one but never shot one and it was not as bad as they were led to bereave but it still has a strong recoil.

It's been a while since I shot one and even back then, it really bothered my wrist. Too many years swinging a 5# hammer perhaps.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD

I remember seeing one at United sitting in Used section for awhile. Found out it was Sold and re-sold a few times, within weeks. It definitely is too light for 40. Ruger SR40c surprisingly is very comfortable to shoot that caliber.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Years ago in my 20’s, I wore recoil more like a badge of honor and was not usually as affected by it. One day my old boss brought his Colt Anaconda 44mag out, and we shot that along with my Taurus M44 44mag (with ported/compensated barrel). The un-comp’ed Colt flat-out sucked to shoot, and I kept with my Taurus the rest of the day, as did he. Another co-worker brought his T/C Contender in 44mag same day. I shot it twice and never touched it again. The T/C weighs next to nothing and that absolutely stupid hook thing on the bottom of the trigger guard took a nice chunk of skin off of my left hand, that gun can kiss my a**.

I once bought a collection that included a T/C Contender frame, with several barrels, dies, and lots of ammo for everything. There was a 44 mag, with factory and reloaded ammo. Shot a couple of each, and put it away. The factory loads were bad enough, but the hot hand loads were painful. And yes, that trigger guard can bite. It was not fun, too light for heavy bullets.

A buddy had a ported T/C Super 14 .223 SS barrel, and wanted a 44, so we traded. I think he wanted $50 to make it even. So much more fun with that, especially shooting it after dusk and seeing the fireball.

First time I ever shot a Contender was in my late teens, buddies were shooting bowling balls as I pulled up. First shot and I knocked a pin down at 100 yards. I knew I would have one at some point.

Other than that, being young and dumb, we had a challenge where would load up a double barrel shotgun and pull both triggers at the same time. That left a mark.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I haven’t shot too much high test stuff. As someone who has arthritis in my hands, a 44 magnum wasn’t particularly pleasant to shoot. On the rifle side, I’d say a 30-.06 in a lightweight hunting rifle.
    I’ve shot a .300 WinMag but that was a precision rifle with a brake so it wasn’t bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    .50 DE is on par with .44 Mag from typical revolver , weight is your friend to soak up recoil .

The DE grip is Big even for me , with gorilla sized hands , it's probably a struggle for average sized people .

Despite the push back from them being icons of bad action movies and rap videos , they are good, accurate guns for their intended purposes , just Big .

Agree. My hands are not shovels and I ran a mag and respectably hit the target center mass at the max range indoor. But the recoil on each shot was like having a wild Bobcat in my hands. 44 mag revolvers tend to be linear in recoil per my experience: manageable. I could barely control the recoil on the DE 50. Kind of like having sex with a crazy redhead hairdresser.

No pain with the DE though.

For pain it's +P 38 in the S&W Scandium J frames. After a few cylinders of +P it felt like I was getting rapped by a ruler in the web between the thumb and index finger. IDK if I even finished the first box before saying F this.

IDK who's foolish enough to try .357 in the PD version; not me. Ok maybe at a range; I always did like redheads.:D

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    When I first got into blackpowder hunting, I thought I could handle the loads my father was shooting and being the stupid kid I was, dropped 4 (200 grains) of those preformed charges into the rifle with iirc a 120 grain Sabot. Needless to say for about a week I couldn't move my right arm and I was lucky there wasn't any type of failure in the rifle since I believe the max on them is 150 grains of powder. The smoke cloud was pretty cool, but wouldn't advise anyone doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom