• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcticwolf

Certified Brute
    May 28, 2008
    Are there any locations in the central counties to ride ORV's?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

Whacha got? There are a group of us that travel a little bit to ride and you're always welcome to join us.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Are there any locations in the central counties to ride ORV's?

There isnt much that I am aware of,
    MD seems aweful for ORV (moved here from CO) I do travel to Legore Bridge Road, the Frederick Watershed and green ridge state park.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

Whacha got? There are a group of us that travel a little bit to ride and you're always welcome to join us.

I know this was for the OP but I love to off road / explore / overland. Have a 2005 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (a.k.a LJ) a 2002 Toyota TRD OR and also an 2015 TRD PRO that is set up for overlanding.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I know this was for the OP but I love to off road / explore / overland. Have a 2005 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (a.k.a LJ) a 2002 Toyota TRD OR and also an 2015 TRD PRO that is set up for overlanding.

I do a fair bit of "overlanding"/off-roading/camping in the winter. Usually in the GWNF. Many trails were just closed by Forestry for the winter, but there are still a few that are accessible.

Arcticwolf

Certified Brute
    May 28, 2008
    Oops here I thought ORV meant something else. I only have jeeps and trucks no bike.

You can take your overland rig up to AOAA, they have some larger trails there for that toy. I was planning on eventually overlanding on my bike.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If you’re willing to drive a bit check out The Cove Campground in Gore,VA. You can make a weekend of it, camping, off-roading trails, and shooting ranges.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

2018 DR650S, tagged and titled

Nice. Our group is primarily SXSs but a lot of places we ride are open to all.

Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area up in PA is good but we discovered Mountain Ridge, also in PA, this year and like it a ton better.

Both can be done as day trips but we usually go up on a Friday night, catch a hotel and hang out with a couple adult beverages etc... and then ride on Saturday.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I do a fair bit of "overlanding"/off-roading/camping in the winter. Usually in the GWNF. Many trails were just closed by Forestry for the winter, but there are still a few that are accessible.

GWNF? Haven’t heard of it but would definitely check it out if I knew where/what it is :)

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    If you’re willing to drive a bit check out The Cove Campground in Gore,VA. You can make a weekend of it, camping, off-roading trails, and shooting ranges.

I like the cove on dirt bikes but, the rock garden is probably not easily doable without a heavily modified Jeep or side by side.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A key distinction for the OP regarding his terminology -

In public land speak , you are NOT an ORV . ORV = certain not licensed vehicles , which can only be operated in / on specifically designed ORV areas/ trails .

What you have is simply a Licensed Motor Vehicle , which can be operated on any road , or road like thorofare open to vehicles generally , and not seasonally Closed . Yes , there is overlap , some " normal " roads are gnarlier than some official ORV trails .

I'm sure your area is like all the other parts of Maryland , and there are " Traditional Riding Areas " They are at least technically illegal . Some have been used uneventfully for decades , some face vigorous enforcement , and that can change w/o notice .

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I have a 2001 Arctic Cat 400 my daughter and SIL gave me for Christmas. :D
    Looks like the nearest place is near Frostburg.
    St. Johns Rock
    Probably not what your looking for. Pa. will be the place to go lots of long rides.

Of course in heavy Snow all bets are off. :thumbsup:

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Rausch creek in pa if it is still there. North of Harrisburg. Used to spend many a weekend there and Paragon

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom