• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How long before Benelli stops selling parts to feed the clones?
    Never? Benelli has plenty of real M4s out there that need parts. The clone market is going to be there no matter what they need to do. The idea that they're gonna stop selling bolts and extractors because of clones seems... unrealistic.

I also picked up the Turkish made Dickinson tac4 that has a skeltonized stock. The stock at first looks like a adjustable m4 stock. This stock won’t adjust though. It’s a pump gun. I’ve determined that the stock from the tac4 could easily be adapted onto the S4. It would have the same length of pull as the original stock and doesn’t adjust. I would need to grind a little on the stock to allow clearance for the recoil tube but and get another bolt to hold the stock to the tube.
    This seems like a lot of work for no real payoff. Just buy the Mesa Urbino stock.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Who is to say you arent buying parts for your M4? The patent expired so its no different than all the ARs, 1911’s and MP5 clones being manufactured.

There are a few gun manufacturers that won't sell parts to consumers, or will just sell to their gunsmiths. If genuine Benelli sales take a hit due to the clones, they could stop selling parts for the M4s, requesting they be sent to the factory, or requesting a serial number like Tristar does when ordering. Not saying they should or would, but they had issues selling certain stocks to non LEOs, so anything is possible.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    There are a few gun manufacturers that won't sell parts to consumers, or will just sell to their gunsmiths. If genuine Benelli sales take a hit due to the clones, they could stop selling parts for the M4s, requesting they be sent to the factory, or requesting a serial number like Tristar does when ordering. Not saying they should or would, but they had issues selling certain stocks to non LEOs, so anything is possible.
    Given how much Benelli charges for replacement parts, they probably do well enough that they don’t give a crap who is buying them.

I think it’s more likely they’ll do their own M4 clone through the Stoeger brand, but anything is possible. Not every manufacturer likes easy money.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    So, if you buy one make sure you can take it out and test it. To be transparent, i bought two of these and one was a problem child, extraction issues i sent it back to SDS and they returned it, supposedly fixed, however its not.

They replaced the gas pistons (they’re black not silver now) the trigger assembly (its now plastic instead of aluminum) however it is giving me extraction issues.

I changed the barrel to the gun that runs 100%..and it ran. So i can rule out gas system issues. I believe its a bolt head/extractor issue. I am gonna swap the Bolt carrier from my known good benelli into it and see if that affects it.

If it runs afterwards i will call SDS and see if they can send me a new bolt assembly.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Finally shot mine today

Did not notice the sharp edge issue others have complained about when loading

Fired 20 rounds of 3" buck. Have to tear down now and see if anything is peening over

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I agree with the square

3" buckshot wasn't comfortable but wasn't nearly as bad as a pump. 20 rounds didn't leave me with any kind of last shoulder pain or anything.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In case anyone cares, I took my S4 with 7rd DMW tube out for a test spin today, and it functioned perfectly. Also held 7 rounds with an NDZ follower in it. I think I'm at a good stopping point with this thing for now.

IMHO, good recoil pad on your stock and the appropriate LOP (aka, shorter) make a big difference to felt recoil on these guns.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    In case anyone cares, I took my S4 with 7rd DMW tube out for a test spin today, and it functioned perfectly. Also held 7 rounds with an NDZ follower in it. I think I'm at a good stopping point with this thing for now.

IMHO, good recoil pad on your stock and the appropriate LOP (aka, shorter) make a big difference to felt recoil on these guns.
    Good to hear. I sort of put mine on pause while I’m finishing up my Mossberg 590a1 suppressed SBS build. I swapped out the choke for a Carlson’s improved cylinder choke last night (I was noticing an inordinate amount of blow by on the factory choke, and my shot patterns were a tad wide. Will report back on if this helps with either), but still need to install the TT accuguide carrier, attempt to swap the safety out for a DMW safety in the left hand orientation, and swap out the mag tube for DMW mag tube and NDZ follower. And eventually get the TTI charging handle fitted to my S4, but that’ll have to wait until warmer months when my machinist friend is available and willing to work in his non climate controlled shop.

As to recoil, (at least to my understanding) one of the benefits of the M4 operating system is that the shooter can use a modern shooting stance without inducing malfunctions like can happen with some semi autos. Couple that with appropriate LOP stock and a nice recoil pad, and I don’t think the recoil is particularly uncomfortable. I don’t have nearly as much experience with semi auto shotguns as others though, so it is entirely possible it recoils more than others. From what I recall of my Vepr 12, this recoils and jumps around somewhat less.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    SDS is sending me a replacement Bolt, carrier and charging handle as well as a mag tube cap to get the problem child one fixed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I don't see anything I would describe as peening, do you?

Only did 25 rounds of buckshot

Attachments

• 20220207_184715.jpg
      20220207_184715.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 118
    • 20220207_184655.jpg
      20220207_184655.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads