Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Numrich shipped my M4 parts!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A couple guys on ARFCOM got an S4 with a straight firing pin retainer with no head/o-ring. I think SDS may have changed pins after a certain serial number. Will be curious to see what others who recently ordered get.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Extra o-rings

Attachments

• C25EC80F-B192-4008-88C2-F1DFC5599F69.jpg
      C25EC80F-B192-4008-88C2-F1DFC5599F69.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 174

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Is there anything on the S4 that is soldered? I’m not even sure solder is something they’d likely have at the factory.
    I’m not aware of there being any reports of it besides mine. But I work with solder quite a bit, and I know what a pin looks like, and whatever is sitting inside my bolt head assembly does not look like the pictures I can find on the internet of other S4 and M4 bolts. I’m going to attempt to clean it out tonight and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Didn’t get to it last night because I wanted to install my Aridus CROM, holosun 507C-X2 (name really rolls off the tongue), and industrial Velcro for shotgun placards on my Mossberg 590a1 SBS.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Didn’t get to it last night because I wanted to install my Aridus CROM, holosun 507C-X2 (name really rolls off the tongue), and industrial Velcro for shotgun placards on my Mossberg 590a1 SBS.

I like to run mine without any chit on it. One of the few guns I always keep loaded.

Attachments

• A4F4CEF4-5852-4F4D-9A48-478CEE27E04F.jpg
      A4F4CEF4-5852-4F4D-9A48-478CEE27E04F.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 167

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I like to run mine without any chit on it. One of the few guns I always keep loaded.
    Nothing wrong with the standard ghost ring sights. I bought this to use as a host for my Salvo 12, so I decided a red dot was the way to go. Still need to get the barrel cut for chokes.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Took the bolt (well the whole shotgun) over to my machinist friend. He agrees that there is some “material” in there covering up the pin. He did not speculate what it was, but used some kind of sharp tool to free the pin up from it. He used his fancy expensive 1/16 punch to start to punch the extractor pin out . . . And the bottom third of the extractor pin fell off as it freed itself up from the bolt head. We didn’t have much luck getting the rest of the pin out, so I’m not sure replacing it is really an option.

At this point I’m not sure what I’m going to do. We didn’t even get to the point of replacing the magazine tube. Kind of thinking I’m going to spend $200 on a Benelli bolt assembly, but I’ll sleep on it.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Took the bolt (well the whole shotgun) over to my machinist friend. He agrees that there is some “material” in there covering up the pin. He did not speculate what it was, but used some kind of sharp tool to free the pin up from it. He used his fancy expensive 1/16 punch to start to punch the extractor pin out . . . And the bottom third of the extractor pin fell off as it freed itself up from the bolt head. We didn’t have much luck getting the rest of the pin out, so I’m not sure replacing it is really an option.

At this point I’m not sure what I’m going to do. We didn’t even get to the point of replacing the magazine tube. Kind of thinking I’m going to spend $200 on a Benelli bolt assembly, but I’ll sleep on it.

Did you try Using a piece of rod the same diameter as the extractor pin to drive out the remaining portion and than install a new pin.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Did you try Using a piece of rod the same diameter as the extractor pin to drive out the remaining portion and than install a new pin.
    The problem is that the extractor pin is offset, so driving it out all the way with just a punch is extremely difficult, and you can only drive it out one way (not from the bottom). The usual way to do this is to smack it partially out and use pliers to pull it out from the other side. If the bottom third is gone, that's probably not going to happen.

I'd be contacting SDS for warranty service at this point. The extractor is a wear part, and should be replaceable. They probably have new bolts on hand if you need to swap.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    The problem is that the extractor pin is offset, so driving it out all the way with just a punch is extremely difficult, and you can only drive it out one way (not from the bottom). The usual way to do this is to smack it partially out and use pliers to pull it out from the other side. If the bottom third is gone, that's probably not going to happen.

I'd be contacting SDS for warranty service at this point. The extractor is a wear part, and should be replaceable. They probably have new bolts on hand if you need to swap.

I had just thought about a looong piece of metal rod the same diameter at its size should be fairly flexible and just like use it to poke at the piece in the hole to tap it out.

Otherwise i’d contact SDS about it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

We took a whack at pulling the nub out with my handy dandy KNIPEX adjustable pliers wrench as well as my stripped screw extractor, but there just isn’t enough to get a decent purchase. I may buy a sacrificial 1/16 punch and try bend it just enough so it can push the pin most of the rest of the way out, but that’s pretty unlikely to work.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    We took a whack at pulling the nub out with my handy dandy KNIPEX adjustable pliers wrench as well as my stripped screw extractor, but there just isn’t enough to get a decent purchase. I may buy a sacrificial 1/16 punch and try bend it just enough so it can push the pin most of the rest of the way out, but that’s pretty unlikely to work.
    I think it could work. Maybe check out how to relieve pressure on the pin from the extractor to give yourself a little bit of an advantage.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think it could work. Maybe check out how to relieve pressure on the pin from the extractor to give yourself a little bit of an advantage.
    We got the extractor out, so that’s not an issue at the moment.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Alpha brew heres that photo.

Attachments

• 7721E9E4-8DDF-41D6-9A02-5F565907A2A7.jpg
      7721E9E4-8DDF-41D6-9A02-5F565907A2A7.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 165

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Ok, FYI guys, the benelli stocks and the S4 stock are all the same length, and the same as the Toros T4.

SDS is bringing in a new variant of the M4 clones with a fixed collapsable stock.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Just ordered a SDS M4 clone from American Sportsman in Newark DE. $406 out the door, when it comes in what would be big things to look for? Not being used and the 0-rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom