• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I know this subject has been discussed a million times but after reading through a bunch of threads I'm still confused. My Winter project is to finally build a SBR and the 29"OAL length thing is holding me back. Just doing a quick measurement on my existing AR's it looks like I'll need an upper with a minimum barrel length of about 11". I calculated that by measuring from the end of the butt pad, with the stock extended, to the middle of the pivot pin and sutracting that from 29". Is there a resource where I can compare butt stock lengths? I'd like to use the shortest barrel I can while at the same time not running afoul of the state's arbitrary laws. If someone knows of a collapsible stock that stretches out a little further than the others I'd like to know about it.

Thanks!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know this subject has been discussed a million times but after reading through a bunch of threads I'm still confused. My Winter project is to finally build a SBR and the 29"OAL length thing is holding me back. Just doing a quick measurement on my existing AR's it looks like I'll need an upper with a minimum barrel length of about 11". I calculated that by measuring from the end of the butt pad, with the stock extended, to the middle of the pivot pin and sutracting that from 29". Is there a resource where I can compare butt stock lengths? I'd like to use the shortest barrel I can while at the same time not running afoul of the state's arbitrary laws. If someone knows of a collapsible stock that stretches out a little further than the others I'd like to know about it.

Thanks!
    The VLTOR A5 system is what you seek.

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/vltor-a5-receiver-extension-7-position/

I’ve done fine with 10.5” barrels. Any shorter and ballistics suffer. Many suppressor manufacturers won’t warrant function in < 10.5”.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    FWIW - 300 Black down to 8" min barrel length supported by the suppressor manufacturers. Unless it's made by Rugged, they're crazy, they support full auto and any barrel length.

Gotta love the folks at Rugged.

Big_Z

Nov 30, 2016
    I just finished my 300 BLK SBR this week. 7" barrel. I think 6.5" is possible, but cutting it very close.

Details on the build:

7 inch 300 Blk Barrel, 1/5 twist
    Dead air Flash hider (Pin and welded) - adds 2.1" to OAL
    Viltor A5 Buffer tube
    Magpul ACSL stock

OAL - 29.2"

If you want to pass on the Pin and weld, you'd need a 9" inch barrel. If you want to hit 6.5 you'd need to do the P&W, and add the Magpul extended buttpad (https://magpul.com/enhancedrubberbutt-pad-0-70.html)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom