• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Went down to the honga late this afternoon got into some redheads we had about 300 of them land In the decoys that we didn't shoot at Lots of Buffle heads And we missed a flock of cans that came in from behind us

Attachments

• 20220113_172409.jpg
      20220113_172409.jpg
      122.9 KB · Views: 226

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That was yesterday in Monroe Louisiana. Few snow geese, some snipe, some ducks. The day before was all ducks and the most beautiful pintail I’ve ever seen. Got a beautiful spoon bill too. Been eating teals for two days straight and not mad about it.

Attachments

• 1FD0F0A4-62F4-49BB-AA0B-D0E67CA7889E.jpg
      1FD0F0A4-62F4-49BB-AA0B-D0E67CA7889E.jpg
      198.8 KB · Views: 169
    • AF98F211-F30B-4B19-8A7C-B190FD19FE1E.jpg
      AF98F211-F30B-4B19-8A7C-B190FD19FE1E.jpg
      154.9 KB · Views: 165

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Went out to the only piece of public I know where I could walk in/hunt without a boat, but the ice was thicker than I thought, too thick to break. Threw some decoys on a creek that was flowing, but nothing flying overhead.

Been a tough season. Haven't killed a bird yet in a half dozen+ outings

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    That was yesterday in Monroe Louisiana. Few snow geese, some snipe, some ducks. The day before was all ducks and the most beautiful pintail I’ve ever seen. Got a beautiful spoon bill too. Been eating teals for two days straight and not mad about it.

DAMN that is a nice bag there! I'm jealous. I want to get back out soon. Anyone know if Gunpowder is iced over?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Good times! Have fun.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

What a great trip. You should get one mounted to keep your pigeon company.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What a great trip. You should get one mounted to keep your pigeon company.

Nah I’m an eater. That being said i ate snipe for the first time. Our guide said it wasn’t to bad. It legit tasted like the smell inside a porta potty. Like worse than a diver duck. I don’t eat divers. We went with Johnny Winks outfitters. I thought we were gonna stay in a bunk house but during the season Johnny moves to a trailer and you stay inside his house. Very nice accommodations.

Our guide has the most well behaved Chessie I’ve ever met.

Attachments

• 4669EF78-E584-45B4-93C1-F0AE27500A8D.jpg
      4669EF78-E584-45B4-93C1-F0AE27500A8D.jpg
      166.1 KB · Views: 219

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Metalman, you have any openings for adopted children? I gotta get on one of your hunts...you guys seem to always hammer good ducks.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    It has been a very rough season so far in St. Mary's county. A combination of bad luck/timing with the weather on the days I've been able to get out and a seemingly slow migration have not helped. Over 3 trips, I've only bagged a single bufflhead.

In Montgomery County, I had 3 trips that also resulted in nothing, and then one outing that led to my friend and I shooting 3 woodies and a hooded merganser. The hooded merganser was a first for me, so he's at the taxidermist as my one mount for this season.

My buddies and I slayed a limit of canada geese in Talbot county yesterday. OK, you can only shoot one each but we had 7 on the ground by 9:30 am. As we were picking up decoys, we saw lots of high flying snow geese coming in.

This weekend and the following I'll be in St. Mary's hoping for better results. It's really hit or miss hunting the river there...but I'm holding out hope that we can get lucky and see some cans, blue bills or other non-bufflehead ducks. If not, my buddies and I will just try to shoot a limit of buffleheads, as I've finally figured out a few ways to cook them that make them taste pretty good.

The last week of January I'm heading to the VA eastern shore with a guide and my tundra swan tag. Fingers crossed for that one...and the conversation with my wife if I get lucky and shoot one and get the taxidermy estimate.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Tried to get out today but Gunpowder was completely iced over. Wasn't prepared for that. I thought maybe there'd be some ice at the ramps and maybe up the creek a little, but nope...whole damn area had 1/2" of ice. I would have taken me too long to break it all up to get to my spot, so I bailed. Plus, my puppy didn't care much for the noise the ice was making :lol:

I guess I'll drive by the Potomac to see if there's any ice on it. Monocacy has none, which is odd.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Metalman, you have any openings for adopted children? I gotta get on one of your hunts...you guys seem to always hammer good ducks.

Its been a hard year so far but the divers moved in a week ago. We get some ducks but my buddy has spent a lot of time developing and getting the spots we hunt. I have spots open all the time but we have been burned by people so much in the past that we are real leery to take new people.
    Funny thing happen the other day DNR dredged our diver spot, I think they were after our neighbors because they dredged them also and they run guided hunts. They didn't find anything of course because we don't bait.
    We luckily have a few different spots and try to hunt the one that has the ducks, its just been harder this year.

On a side note we haven't even hunted our new spot yet, that will be epic. Once we get straight with the neighbors it will be something.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Its been a hard year so far but the divers moved in a week ago. We get some ducks but my buddy has spent a lot of time developing and getting the spots we hunt. I have spots open all the time but we have been burned by people so much in the past that we are real leery to take new people.
    Funny thing happen the other day DNR dredged our diver spot, I think they were after our neighbors because they dredged them also and they run guided hunts. They didn't find anything of course because we don't bait.
    We luckily have a few different spots and try to hunt the one that has the ducks, its just been harder this year.

On a side note we haven't even hunted our new spot yet, that will be epic. Once we get straight with the neighbors it will be something.

I'm super jealous. One day I'll win the lottery and buy a waterfowl haven on the shore, and actually get a chance at more than mergansers.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Took my boys to the Outerbanks right before Christmas for their first hunt. It was a bust. Booked a trip with my youngest off Solomon the Thursday before the New Year, layout boat (new to me as well). Limited out on Old Squaw, Common Scoter, and Surf Scoter.

Loved watching my son drop ducks. It was a great trip.

Attachments

• 681134D6-4503-4099-AC96-C6311E01FF2A.jpg
      681134D6-4503-4099-AC96-C6311E01FF2A.jpg
      45.7 KB · Views: 147
    • 6FCA81B3-84EA-44AD-944C-F4F74CA34F2E.jpg
      6FCA81B3-84EA-44AD-944C-F4F74CA34F2E.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 148

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    More red heads Went out late this afternoon And gotta limit of reds early We try to pick out drakes
    We're gonna go down to the miles tomorrow and see if we can get some other ducks

Attachments

• 20220121_161437.jpg
      20220121_161437.jpg
      153 KB · Views: 127

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads