• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenn870

Jun 14, 2010
    Western MD
    I'm looking at selling a CMP service grade M1 Garand that I picked up a few months ago. Nothing special, Springfield with new CMP stock. I'd have to double check but I think it's a 2/2 or close. Comes with certificate and hard case. Manufactured in the 50's based on barrel markings. I can get more info when I get home I just wanted to put this out there.

I have checked a few forums and seen the prices float around $1300-1600 (roughly) over the past few weeks. Then I checked Gun Broker and my mind was blown. CMP Garands with buy now prices of $2,199!!!!! What in the F***!

I have three questions 1- what is a fair price to ask, 2- should I keep it and give it a few years for prices to increase, 3- who in their right mind is paying $2,200 for a service grade Garand?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Go to the GB advanced search function and search past transactions for a better sense of market prices. What people ask and what others are willing to pay may be worlds apart.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Service Grade with new stock is 1000 to 1200 at most to me, as Mawkie stated search completed listings not asking prices.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    “Nothing special” would probably be at the lower end of that range. I see a few field and service grades move for $1.2-1.4k at gun shows.

Depending on where you list, you may have educated buyers or impulsive dumb buyers. Educated buyers might still pay top dollar for service grades if there’s something desirable about it like valuable parts or untouched 60s rebuilds. You’ll be more likely to find the dumb impulsive buyers at gun shows.

A lot of WWII M1s got rebarreled in the 50s, so you’d have to check the serial number to figure out the date of manufacture.

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020
    I've always assumed people pay those crazy prices because they want one *now*. It can take months for CMP deliveries.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    1- what is a fair price to ask
    2- should I keep it and give it a few years for prices to increase
    3- who in their right mind is paying $2,200 for a service grade Garand?

IMHO having bought three in past 9 months - 2 from CMP and 1 from GB

1. $1200-$1400 is fair in my opinion, that would be a friend-to-friend type deal price.

2. Yes. They are not going to get any cheaper - CMP's inventory is pretty depleted and they are not making anymore

3. Someone who is impatient. Someone looking for a specific manufacturer/year and to whom $2,200 isn't really that much money.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are people with Garands that they have been "selling" for a LONG time. I"ve seen a few at shows from same vendor show after show after show. Some of those guys have some items at a high ball price cause they have other things to sell and they are filling out a table. Any time there is a way to sell and not spend money selling it till it sells, there will be some people who don't really want to get rid of something but are at a high price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom