• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    Anyone have a universal sight pusher tool they recommend for pistols? I've been looking on Amazon but haven't seen anything without negative reviews that make me have second thoughts. Thanks.

~Sledgehammer

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    The MGW one is pretty good although not exactly universal. There are inserts you get for different models. I think the Vism by NC Star may be universal, cant remember. Look up Tactical Toolbox channel on YouTube and watch his Glock sight install video to see them in action. Sootch Channel also has a sight pusher review video.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i just use a wooden dowel and a hammer, worked perfectly on at least a dozen guns i have changed rear sights on.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    For those using a punch/dowel and hammer, how do you make final adjustments or is bore-sighting all that's needed?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I usually get it right the first time, but I take note of where the sights are and make marks on the slide with a mechanical pencil. I then drift out the old sight and then in with the new and center the sights with my marks. Last one I did needed a light tap when I was at the range to zero and now it’s perfect.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I sprung for a Wheeler 710905, which has been great for all sorts of different front/rear sites - swapping them out, fine tuning them. Takes having several pistols and a few of your friends' to work on before it necessarily makes sense - but it sure beats having to try to tap things into place. Nudge, nudge, perfect.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I prefer a pusher but will use a brass punch and hammer when I have to. I file the tip of the punch match sight profile to strike where the punch needs to push. As far as sight regulation at the range using this method...you learn different ‘taps’ to drift the sight the needed amount.

I have an MGW 1911 sight pusher. If I were to need a more universal sight pusher it would be the MGW or Wheeler unit.

Last edited:

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I have this NcSTAR VTUPRS universal pistol rear sight tool. It's easy to use and it's worked for everything I've tried so far.

Second the recommendation above. I also have this one and found it very easy to use and a great value. Has decent protective nylon inserts to protect clamped areas, as well as marks to indicate return to center (however recommend getting a decent measurement caliper too).

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Never needed more than a punch or dowel to put them in or adjust on new builds. When adjusting, just use lighter strikes with the hammer until I get it right. Usually only takes a few of minutes to get my pistols hitting where the sights point.

I did have major problems getting a sight out of an old Star B pistol. Took a gunsmith to get it out and he broke one of his sight tools before finally trying the other direction to remove it. Turned out that the cut in the slide was done wrong. These sights are supposed to drift out only in one direction. Mine was cut so the sight had to be installed/removed from the opposite side. Now that I know this, the sight is easily installed and removed which must be done to disassemble the slide for a complete cleaning.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Related question: would dowel and hammer work for installing night sights? Wondering if the light tubes will break from tapping.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Brass, plastic or wooden dowel and a hammer is all that's needed. Sure, the tools make it nice, but the same job can be done with the cheaper tools.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Related question: would dowel and hammer work for installing night sights? Wondering if the light tubes will break from tapping.

Shouldn't break if you don't whack 'em ;)

But I just installed a pair of fiber optics with a punch and hammer, they seem fine. Off to sight things in next time I get a range day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom