• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssgswjohnson

Mar 27, 2018
    Hi. Name Steve. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest (born in Washington State, raised in Oregon). I was stationed at Fort Meade and I am now stationed at Fort Belvoir (Army). Been in the Army for 17 years and look forward to being called "Mr. Johnson"

I'm going to be purchasing a firearm here soon, but I am not new to firearms or the ownership thereof. I am SUPER new to the amount of B.S. this state makes people go through though.

I'm looking at either a Shield 9 or a PPS. I looked at the XD line from Springfield but that grip safety is not my style. I'd really like a 1911 but I want something concealable.

I am aware of the issues getting a wear and carry, and I am soon to be submitting my paperwork. I am going to be using the OPM hack, the VERY recent bombs found around DC (including Belvoir), as well as my clearance level and the field I work in. I feel like the recent packages left around DC might be enough to make this happen so, fingers crossed.

I shot a few months back at the Machine Gun Nest and loved it. Wish it was closer but I'll find a "home range" once I've made my purchase.

I'll have tons of noob questions, mostly regarding the raping of the Constitution here... but I promise to use the search function faithfully before noobing.

OH, EDIT: I'm in Glen Burnie over by the airport.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome from VA. You said you’re stationed at Belvoir. Why would you move to MD? Just curious.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hi. Name Steve. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest (born in Washington State, raised in Oregon). I was stationed at Fort Meade and I am now stationed at Fort Belvoir (Army). Been in the Army for 17 years and look forward to being called "Mr. Johnson"

But you can call him Ray...

ssgswjohnson

Mar 27, 2018
    Welcome from VA. You said you’re stationed at Belvoir. Why would you move to MD? Just curious.

I was at Meade for four years and purchased a home then. I was then PCS'd to Kuwait for a year. I have moved my family a lot and didn't want to move them again, so I worked an assignment to be as close as possible. I drive a lot now, but my wife and kids have friends.... like REAL friends.

At the time, I wasn't aware how bad MD was. I was just excited about all the employment opportunities after I retire. So my plan now is I hang in there until I retire. If I wind up getting hired in MD, I'll either stay or consider southern PA. If an entity at Belvoir hires me, I'll move down to VA and enjoy freedom.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I was at Meade for four years and purchased a home then. I was then PCS'd to Kuwait for a year. I have moved my family a lot and didn't want to move them again, so I worked an assignment to be as close as possible. I drive a lot now, but my wife and kids have friends.... like REAL friends.

At the time, I wasn't aware how bad MD was. I was just excited about all the employment opportunities after I retire. So my plan now is I hang in there until I retire. If I wind up getting hired in MD, I'll either stay or consider southern PA. If an entity at Belvoir hires me, I'll move down to VA and enjoy freedom.

You put your family’s well being and happiness first. Sounds like you’re a good man. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I looked at the XD line from Springfield but that grip safety is not my style. I'd really like a 1911 but I want something concealable.

Welcome!

And, you sound like a perfect candidate for the XD-E. DA/SA, you can carry it cocked & locked if that's your thing, or hammer down for DA, safety on... or DA, safety off ... and no grip safety. They make it in 9mm and .45 too. Worth a look. I've been breaking in the 9mm, and it's really growing on me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 85

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Welcome to MDS as well as to the highly regulated state of MD! I lived in Seattle for over ten years starting in the mid 1980's and definitely have a soft corner for the great Pacific Northwest. But I think that you will like the mid-Atlantic too.

If you are looking for a range near BWI airport, check out "On Target" on Annapolis Road in Severn, MD. It will be a lot closer to you than TMGN and it is not a bad indoor range. I used to be a member of On Target but it was much too far for me to get to on a regular basis. So when TMGN opened up, I did not renew my membership at On Target. Welcome again.

Cal68

ssgswjohnson

Mar 27, 2018
    Welcome!

And, you sound like a perfect candidate for the XD-E. DA/SA, you can carry it cocked & locked if that's your thing, or hammer down for DA, safety on... or DA, safety off ... and no grip safety. They make it in 9mm and .45 too. Worth a look. I've been breaking in the 9mm, and it's really growing on me.

I'll definitely have a look at the E. I am leaning toward not having an exposed hammer for this particular purchase though, but I'm definitely keeping my options open. I appreciate the recommendation!

ssgswjohnson

Mar 27, 2018
    Welcome to MDS as well as to the highly regulated state of MD! I lived in Seattle for over ten years starting in the mid 1980's and definitely have a soft corner for the great Pacific Northwest. But I think that you will like the mid-Atlantic too.

If you are looking for a range near BWI airport, check out "On Target" on Annapolis Road in Severn, MD. It will be a lot closer to you than TMGN and it is not a bad indoor range. I used to be a member of On Target but it was much too far for me to get to on a regular basis. So when TMGN opened up, I did not renew my membership at On Target. Welcome again.

Cal68

I will check them out next week, thank you for the recommendation. TMGN was amazing and will be hard to top, but if I had to drive that far to shoot, I wouldn't get nearly enough practice days in. We did a buddies bachelor party there and everything, from the staff to the facilities was so far above anywhere I've ever shot.

I do miss the PNW, but I never, ever, liked any of the major metro areas. Seattle is ok, but I'm a country boy. I lived in Chehalis until middle school on ten acres. I used to go to Puyallup back when it was where the country folk lived. Rode that old wooden roller coaster ever year.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Former resident of WA (Bremerton), recently retired (30 years Army)

Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A Guide - How to Testify in Annapolis[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    A detailed summary for non-lawyers

Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Acronym list[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom