• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I picked up a dp-12 a few days, after I posted for opinions. I haven't shot it yet, but will be soon. The shotgun is nicely built, but man is it heavy. I think it will be a fun range toy.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I picked up a dp-12 a few days, after I posted for opinions. I haven't shot it yet, but will be soon. The shotgun is nicely built, but man is it heavy. I think it will be a fun range toy.

Good on you. Let us know what you think after you try her out.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I will probably end up owning a DP-12 just for the screwyness of it. Love the odd ball stuff.

I have been kicking around the idea of the Fostech Origin-12 SBV

https://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=146

Does anyone know the legalities of owning one of these in Maryland? It sounds like it gets marked as an "other" on the paperwork but are you allowed to put a vertical grip on the front or does it fall under the same rules as a pistol? Does it require a waiting period or is it cash and carry?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Does anyone know the legalities of owning one of these in Maryland? It sounds like it gets marked as an "other" on the paperwork but are you allowed to put a vertical grip on the front or does it fall under the same rules as a pistol? Does it require a waiting period or is it cash and carry?

I read somewhere that the only two states that were not in line with the BATFE were Texas and Ohio. I know that as of 01SEP17, Texas it is now legal.

If that is the case, here is a good article on the subject.

https://www.ffl123.com/no-nonsense-non-nfa-14-inch-scatterguns/

A shotgun as defined in the National Firearms Act as a shoulder fired weapon. If a gun that just so happens to be patterned after a traditional shotgun like the 870 or 590 and has never had a stock it is not a shotgun. These firearms were never designed, or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

With one of the 590 Shockwave and Tac 14 barrel length is not actually a concern. The concern is overall length. These firearms must maintain an overall length of 26 inches. That’s why both the Mossberg 590 Shockwave and Remington Tac 14 feature the unique Shockwave Raptor grip. This grip extends their overall length to 26 inches when fitted with a 14 inch barrel. Theoretically if you have a long grip of some kind on this firearm and the barrel could be even shorter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a huge fan of vertical foregrips but I am pretty sure putting a vertical foregrip on a short barreled, greater than 26 inch overall length firearm that shoots shotgun ammunition, would make it an AOW and would require a tax stamp. The only exception is if the vertical foregrip was originally designed into the firearm as the only means to work the action. Example: Black Aces Tactical "shotgun".

No wait. Cash and carry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom