• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I'm thinking about buying a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 308. Has anyone picked one up lately? I wanted to know everyone's opinion on them, are the worth getting? I know about the ammo controversy with these rifles. What's everybody's opinion about that? Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    OP,
    There are MANY threads about the Samco Spanish mausers on the forum. Search is your friend. Here are only two that contain links to even more threads:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=165367&highlight=samco+mauser
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=129670&highlight=samco+spanish

Thanks, I knew I should have done a search. I have One in 7mm, and really like it, thinking about get one in 308 to keep it company after reading those threads it seems like most people are happy with them. The listing at Samco, concerns me a little as it's listed with minor cracks in the stock.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Mine did not have any cracks.
    It shoots AWESOME. I use my own reloads (on the low side of load) I made for my Dad's 308 Ruger.
    Mismatched and of course re chambered for 308.
    I lucked out and got a nice condition stock and a crest.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I bought one a year or two ago when Samco had them cheap. It has a good crest, reasonably good stock and bluing, but it didn't really float my boat. It filled a niche in the collection, though. I'm pretty sure that I've got a bunch of training ammo that I bought for it, but haven't gotten around to shooting it.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Well, after reading some of the earlier threads about these I will probably pick one up in the near future. One more thing, how is Samco's shipping? It looks like others have had to wait along time before the received what they've ordered.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Well, after reading some of the earlier threads about these I will probably pick one up in the near future. One more thing, how is Samco's shipping? It looks like others have had to wait along time before the received what they've ordered.

I haven't seen Samco's latest, but M1916's in original 7mm deserve a playmate.

Don't be impatient. Samco doesn't have the quickest order turn around time...:innocent0

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Think of a Samco order as almost a surprise package. They are slow, and don't give you info unless you call and ask for it, but about the time you are ready to give up, it shows up at the door. Don't be surprised if it's 10 or more business days -- but it will eventually get there.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Ok, thanks I will be ordering one soon. Might also pick up some of the Blue plastic training ammo in 308 as well. Looks like it would be fun for some informal plinking. Anyone ever use that ammo?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Might also pick up some of the Blue plastic training ammo in 308 as well. Looks like it would be fun for some informal plinking. Anyone ever use that ammo?

I've used some of it with other rifles (not my Spanish Mauser). It's more accurate at 50 yds than I thought that it would be, and it's definitely NOT "toy" ammo. It can do some serious damage--and could be lethal. It's definitely good for plinking.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    My FFL bought a bunch of them, I was planning on picking one up until I saw their condition. They will require a lot of clean-up if like the ones I saw and accuracy will be hit-or-miss.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My FFL bought a bunch of them, I was planning on picking one up until I saw their condition. They will require a lot of clean-up if like the ones I saw and accuracy will be hit-or-miss.

I don't know where you are located, as it's now shown, but if the FFL is close by I would like to see them in person. Please let me know. At least I could pick out the best of the bunch.

Sirex