• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Yea, I used to use the bear 2 blades years ago. Through a deer or in the dirt. Just remove it and resharpen and onto a new arrow. I used to keep a front 1' section of broken arrow just to run it back and forth on the wet stone before I discovered stropping.

I've seen many guys go on and on about their knife edge and find hey are shooting dull broadheads. You don't trust the knives edge when you buy it, why would you trust the edge on the broadhead?

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    I doubt there is a broadhead made that is sharp enough to be used right out of the pack. I like the Muzzy Phantoms. They are as close to the old Bear razorhead as you can get. I shoot a recurve and a compound both and these broadheads work well out of either. I have watched every deer I hit fall. The A number one thing with any broadhead is that it be razor hair popping sharp.

Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    All of my friends from Maryland Whitetail and I have been using the $1 Chinese knockoff Rage's and Swhackers. They are likely produced in the exact same factory and definitely result in dead deer.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    As long as its sharp and balanced it will kill perfectly. They are such a simple technology and so over hyped in hunting marketing for high dollars. It is so easy for any machine shop to make a balanced broadhead.

I make my own, so I do the spin on the tip test. Or spin between your hand and release up in the open air. If it heavy on one side it will be noticeable. Plus I shoot into a feed bag stuffed full of old Walmart bags.

Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    As long as its sharp and balanced it will kill perfectly. They are such a simple technology and so over hyped in hunting marketing for high dollars. It is so easy for any machine shop to make a balanced broadhead.

I make my own, so I do the spin on the tip test. Or spin between your hand and release up in the open air. If it heavy on one side it will be noticeable. Plus I shoot into a feed bag stuffed full of old Walmart bags.

Do you ever produce a few extra that you may be willing to sell?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I could, but I high doubt you are going to want to shoot my heads as they won't screw on to your arrows. Mine are very "old school" and you can see them on the blog post from last spring when I made them. I didn't get to use them last year. I was trying to get my daughter her first buck and she couldn't seal the deal. October 1st the 8 point she wanted walked past my ground blind at 4 yards and I let him walk for her. I quit archery for the year after that and went to black powder for the year and its all fair game this year. I told her I couldn't let him go again. :innocent0

My New Arrows

Here they are set on heads and wrapped with sinew.
    img_1083.jpg

img_1087.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    An observation I made at a class recently.

There are Rage Broad heads, and then there are Rage Broad heads. For some reason Rage is marketing 2 type of broad heads as "Rage Broad Heads" but have vastly different performance characteristics.

The Rage Broad head I am accustomed to uses the "shock collar" technology. A shock collar is a plastic ring, with slotted tabs on the side. when the broad head hits its target, the deploying blade knocks out the tab on impact. One can usually to 2 shots out of a shock collar, because there are 6 side tabs. Once you knock off 4 tabs, using that last tab is tough.

Then there is an other Rage broad head that someone else was using this past weekend that used an "O-Ring" technology. This technology type had questionable results, with blades not deploying consistently on impact. Often the O-ring was not cut/compromised by the deploying blade, but rather rolled back at it passed through the 3D target, providing inconsistent blade deployments.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    ^^^ Midway has the rage extreme two blades on sale for $15 per pack. I bought one a few weeks back and got the version with the shock collar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom