• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I guess what I should have asked, Isn't a .223/5.56 rifle built on an 80% lower still a "copycat" and be required to have a heavy barrel if built after 2013 ban?
    That would make it a "copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon", not a "copycat". "Copycat" in the False Safety Act of 2013 means something not a copy of a rifle on the assault weapons list but with two or more evil features.

What imbecile in MGA came up with using the term "copycat" for that?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd jump into this old thread to revive it and to ask a question.

I'm in the process of converting an HBAR built on an 80 lower to one that's serialized, although I have yet to swap parts - this one is done in FDE and I'm waiting for the Aluma-Hyde finish to cure well before I start messing with it.

With that in mind, this rifle is for my son and he does not yet have an HQL.

I'm trying to figure out legalities regarding all of this, and it has inspired a couple of questions:

1. If, once the lower has been built into an HBAR, can it be transferred to him as a long gun even though it was transferred to me as a regulated "firearm"/lower?

2. Would I be better off transferring it to him as a non-HQL regulated firearm so that when he does finally get around to doing his HQL, he'd be exempt from the training requirement?

He's been shooting with me for years - he's drastically better and safer with a gun than the buffoons I've seen at the range qualifying to carry for various security outfits, so although the HQL training wouldn't hurt him, IMO he doesn't really need it. It would drop the cost of getting it, and it would remove a considerable PITA as well.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I'm in the process of converting an HBAR built on an 80 lower to one that's serialized, although I have yet to swap parts - this one is done in FDE and I'm waiting for the Aluma-Hyde finish to cure well before I start messing with it.

I'm trying to figure out legalities regarding all of this, and it has inspired a couple of questions:

1. If, once the lower has been built into an HBAR, can it be transferred to him as a long gun even though it was transferred to me as a regulated "firearm"/lower?

2. Would I be better off transferring it to him as a non-HQL regulated firearm so that when he does finally get around to doing his HQL, he'd be exempt from the training requirement?

He's been shooting with me for years - he's drastically better and safer with a gun than the buffoons I've seen at the range qualifying to carry for various security outfits, so although the HQL training wouldn't hurt him, IMO he doesn't really need it. It would drop the cost of getting it, and it would remove a considerable PITA as well.
    An HQL doesn't have anything to do with an HBAR rifle that you built on an 80% lower unless I'm missing something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Transfer the serialized lower to him. Treat the other parts as a separate deal. The lower transfer will cover his training requirements for an HQL. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom