• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I forgot about that. I had that problem on the two barrels that had correct sized ports and they didn't work with the SLR's. You had to open them up for me.

Well that guy don't know anything. AR's are Legos bro. :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I would troubleshoot with a fixed gas block. If you need one for testing I can send you one.

super appreciate the offer! they're cheap enough and i have one on order.

maybe that will be the key. other than the actual stripped upper, barrel, tube and block, everything else i'm using is off a 16" rifle that has worked perfectly.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    help please! so i put together an upper. aero m4e1 enhanced upper. 14.5" ballistic advantage barrel. mid length gas. bolt and charging handle out of another upper that's been working fine (16" barrel), full lower (incl buffer & spring) from that same rifle that has been working fine. seekins adj gas block .750.

started with gas adj screw all the way in (closed/blocked). backed it out a full turn or so. no ejection of spent casing. did this a few more times in half turns, and case ejected but only flew a foot or two, new round wasn't chambered. with block all the way open, 4 complete turns out, it stopped ejecting.

i plugged the barrel with a foam earplug and held that in place. put a hex key in the gas tube. put 80psi air down the barrel and the hex key went flying, so seems the block is aligned and air is going thru the tube. i cannot see the gas tube seating into the gas key on the bcg, but in looking at the relation of the front of the bolt to the gas key, and how far the bcg sits, sure looks like the gas tube is going inside the key.

what am i missing?

Davsco

What is the barrel chambered for .223, .223 Wilde, or .556?
    Did you check head space? What is it?

Even though PMC Bronze is .223 it seems like it might be a high chamber pressure problem.
    With reduced gas it ejects barely, but full gas = no ejection. Could be case is still expanded under pressure keeping it locked in when hit with full gas/quickest bolt reaction.

What did the cases look like? i.e. swiped, extractor marks on rim, primer condition?

I would not try any .556 in it till you get this gauged!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    What is the barrel chambered for .223, .223 Wilde, or .556?
    Did you check head space? What is it?

What did the cases look like? i.e. swiped, extractor marks on rim, primer condition?

barrel is wylde. i did not check head space. cases look fine to me. there were no issues at all manually ejecting the spent shells and loading rounds out of the mag. and when shooting it, was pretty clear the bolt wasn't going all the way back. and when they did eject, it was pretty limp, just a foot or two from the rifle.

Attachments

• 20190321_151858_resized.jpg
      20190321_151858_resized.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 170
    • 20190321_151918_resized.jpg
      20190321_151918_resized.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 167
    • 20190321_151933_resized.jpg
      20190321_151933_resized.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 169

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Was the lower with buffer and spring also from a mid-length gas system? I did a switcheroo last year that had a similar cycling problem and I felt like a moron because my buffer/spring was too heavy for the shorter gas system. So it was having a tough time overcoming that resistance. I'm not a smart man.

I had the same issue with a spring before. Was easy to swap, test and figure it out.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so, quick update. got and installed the non-adj gas block. rifle ejected (but i was in close qtrs so not sure how far) but did not load another round.

so i dropped in my jp low mass bcg and put the upper on my jp ctr02 lower. cycled fine for the couple of shots i took. again, it was not cycling with the same bcg and lower that work on another 16" upper.

so, dumb question, but does a 14.5" need a lighter or heavier bolt, buffer and spring vs a 16" or should those not make a difference, given same mid-length gas system?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    my 0.02, you should not need a lighter buffer. You should have plenty of gas (but you dont).

At this point i'd have someone look it over. Among other things: headspace and gas port size. Might not be the low-mass bcg itself, might be the actual bolt. But any fix at this point seems to me to involve sending the barrel back, or some mods to the barrel like opening the port. Either way, you want to be sure before you do any of this.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Hate to keep throwing guesses at you, but I recently had a problem with my adjustable gas block, and it was the mags. It ran flawlessly with pmags and crap with GI mags. I had tested out multiple types of ammo and buffers, and even added an XP extractor spring before I figured out it was the mags.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    super appreciate all your input and advice! i need to keep using pmc bronze because i have a bunch of it and this gun needs to work with it.

I get that situation, but I still think it would be a good idea to try something else, just as a diagnostic tool. What if another brand works flawlessly? Bummer for your stockpile, but you could probably rule out magazines and maybe a few other issues, then get to tuning it in to the ammo you need. You would at least know that your rifle isn't "sick" as a whole.

Now, if other brands act exactly the same way...at least you've eliminated one variable...even if it means your rifle is sick :o

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The lower you used for the test? Same lower you had problems with?

What I'm trying to pinpoint is did just installing the JP lightweight carrier make it cycle or was there a different buffer and spring used?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ok, so what barrel port diameter should i have? it looks similar to other ones i've looked at, but i guess fractions of a mm make a diff. it's def smaller than the gas block ports but i believe that's always the case to help minimize alignment issues? fyi i just measured the pin i used to locate the block, and the pin is 1.63mm so the port is just a skosh larger.

and please help out an idiot like me. headspace is between the bolt and the barrel extension/chamber, right? if the bolt isn't fully seating for some reason, i guess gas is blowing back out the chamber vs being forced down the gas tube, so overall less oomph hitting the bolt, is that right?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The lower you used for the test? Same lower you had problems with?

What I'm trying to pinpoint is did just installing the JP lightweight carrier make it cycle or was there a different buffer and spring used?

when it fully worked, i did use the jp full lower, and jp lmos bcg. so yeah, i should use the non-jp lower with the jp lmos bcg and see what happens. and then perhaps just the jp actual bolt and everything else non-jp. i just had a brief window to test so just did the one test.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    when it fully worked, i did use the jp full lower, and jp lmos bcg. so yeah, i should use the non-jp lower with the jp lmos bcg and see what happens. and then perhaps just the jp actual bolt and everything else non-jp. i just had a brief window to test so just did the one test.

Have you taken the bolt out of the carrier to check the gas rings? In addition to mag and buffer issues, that got me once. Caused feeding/cycling/ejecting issues. Rotated them so the slots were staggered and lubed a bit and she ran like a champ.

Just another idea on the heap!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Have you taken the bolt out of the carrier to check the gas rings? In addition to mag and buffer issues, that got me once. Caused feeding/cycling/ejecting issues. Rotated them so the slots were staggered and lubed a bit and she ran like a champ.

Just another idea on the heap!

If your gun requires this then there's something wrong with your AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom