• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    Dwell time in the bore after the gas block helps in ensuring the correct amount of gas for cycling all powder charges. The longer the dwell time, the more consistent the gas pressure will be in the gas system. By shortening the dwell time, you run into a host of issues, like undergassing. Why is it that the M4 uses a carbine gas system? Because it cycles with most if not all ammo the US military gets it's hands on.

Do you build your AR's or do you buy them?

Buy. The M4 uses a carbine length gas system because at the time it was designed, that was thought to be the best option. If carbine gas was still the correct answer, why does the URGI use a mid length? Longer dwell time can also lead to increased bolt wear.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Buy. The M4 uses a carbine length gas system because at the time it was designed, that was thought to be the best option. If carbine gas was still the correct answer, why does the URGI use a mid length? Longer dwell time can also lead to increased bolt wear.

I don't buy, I build.

The dwell time is to allow the gas pressure to get high enough to allow the bolt to cycle, before the bullet exits the course and the pressure drops significantly.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    I don't buy, I build.

The dwell time is to allow the gas pressure to get high enough to allow the bolt to cycle, before the bullet exits the course and the pressure drops significantly.

Congratulations?
    Yes, I am aware of what dwell time is... and mid length gas has proven to provide enough dwell time to reliably operate a 16" gun.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    First heard on criterion (I'm not a serial shopper). Other than offering matched bolts (non-trivial), what's the draw? I see a grendel barrel/bolt combo that's speaking to me.

They offer very accurate chrome lined barrels that can be used for heavy use (defensive purposes).

Comparable chromed lined barrels don't often come close to theirs (accuracy wise) when comparing apples to apples.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Carbine length gas was selected for use with 14.7in Bbl, not 16in . ( And selected to err on the side of caution , of having plenty of gas even for worst case combat condition of filthy rifles .)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Noob question, so are heavy barrels interchangeable with standard barrels on AR uppers? Delton has a sale for HBAR
    https://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KT1002

I'm not really aware on the mechanics of the gun, would simply changing out the barrel improve accuracy? Or are there other criteria?

Proper installation/prep makes a difference as well. Including, but not limited to, lapping the upper, proper torque on the barrel nut, and (of course) ammunition choice.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Not a "bargain" HBAR barrel barrel at $260-$300, but also not requiring expensive chambering and crowning like match grade barrel blank. These barrels are 416R SS, cryo-treated, hand lapped, air gauged, and chambered in .223 Wylde. Downside is weight. Legal in MD.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1336

Check youtube.com for reviews and videos of these barrels. I have two RRA Varmint barrels, and they are both very accurate with minimal fouling.

Nov 4, 2018
    Not a "bargain" HBAR barrel barrel at $260-$300, but also not requiring expensive chambering and crowning like match grade barrel blank. These barrels are 416R SS, cryo-treated, hand lapped, air gauged, and chambered in .223 Wylde. Downside is weight. Legal in MD.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1336

Check youtube.com for reviews and videos of these barrels. I have two RRA Varmint barrels, and they are both very accurate with minimal fouling.
    I've been looking at the uppers (minus bolt+CH) that are available, its a RIPOFF. For just 100 more I can get the full gun.
    I'm afraid of some of these plastic budget AR's, I sh*t you not, I've seen the sear break (piece that engages chipped off), on one of them at the range... (it was just range use).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom