Continued from Section 7

Section 8 – Mobile Device Setup

***Placeholder for content***

I'll get this added asap.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have been toying with the idea of using a drone camera, and streaming the signal back. It would need a large battery for hours of use at a time, but it should minitiarize all the components. Amazon has a number of drone based cameras and transmitters. (or just use an actual drone sitting on the ground and disable the engines)

Price point looks to be less than $100

Any thoughts on taking that approach?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have been toying with the idea of using a drone camera, and streaming the signal back. It would need a large battery for hours of use at a time, but it should minitiarize all the components. Amazon has a number of drone based cameras and transmitters. (or just use an actual drone sitting on the ground and disable the engines)

Price point looks to be less than $100

Any thoughts on taking that approach?

I’m curious about this approach too. How do your receive the signal? Is there some sort of base station? Any idea on the effective range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I’m curious about this approach too. How do your receive the signal? Is there some sort of base station? Any idea on the effective range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107D...ng-20&linkId=e417d4f89b62690e283112b28c01aa4b
    I read this has 100 meter range. It seems like the price point jumps a bit for going up to 1km. But I think it just streams it back to either a cell phone or matched monitor (or fpv goggles)

300m range
    https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-Altit...ew-20&linkId=adc2f8436f84ac582d410a7d191a1bd6

Camera/transmitter only
    https://www.amazon.com/Wolfwhoop-WT...3189&sr=8-4&keywords=drone+camera+transmitter

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Cheap Analog RC Based System

If you don't have a smartphone, and don't intend to get one . . . .

I had the tripod and batteries hanging around, so the total out-of-pocket cost for this system was minimal. I spent a little extra to get a zoom camera that can be placed further from the targets to avoid stray bullets and fragments if folks are shooting at steel plates. Any cheap analog security cam will work. I also bought a 9" TFT screen, which was more expensive than the 7", which will work as well.

With line-of-sight, this setup has no problems at 600 yards, and I suspect it will work at much greater distances. (If you remember to check the batttery charge.)

U1sOgds.jpg

E0YH6TA.jpg

9KYpqzx.jpg

v2Q8SJS.jpg

KI4SK8m.jpg

LzEQYNH.jpg

While I came up with this myself, I've seen almost identical set-ups described on youtube.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Keep in mind that with a drone camera the range is specified with the drone in the air. The range of a transmutation when both are close to the ground often is reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin777

Dec 29, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    ToolAA

FANTASTIC!
    Your setup is nothing short of first class.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I went the analog route a few years back and had usable results but range and video quality were sometimes an an issue at 200yds.
    KRC's setup is VERY impressive. Tx Yagi and maybe a patch panel for Rx could really make it shine, eh?
    FPV drone tech has really grown the last 2 years but my quad/hex flying skills have not.
    600yds? Would need a very wide angle lens to catch my shots. :lol2:

I then puchased a Bullseye target cam and was very pleased but the new wore off,
    I wanted more feaures to play with and I came across this thread.

1080P, PTZ, optical zoom, remote viewing, config options, and all the other bells and whistles are what I enjoy as a hobby now

Question for ToolAA--
    What compression is your camera set for? Mjpeg, H.264? Do you stream http or rtsp?
    Bit rate?
    Regards--

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    FANTASTIC!
    Your setup is nothing short of first class.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I went the analog route a few years back and had usable results but range and video quality were sometimes an an issue at 200yds.
    KRC's setup is VERY impressive. Tx Yagi and maybe a patch panel for Rx could really make it shine, eh?
    FPV drone tech has really grown the last 2 years but my quad/hex flying skills have not.
    600yds? Would need a very wide angle lens to catch my shots. :lol2:

I then puchased a Bullseye target cam and was very pleased but the new wore off,
    I wanted more feaures to play with and I came across this thread.

1080P, PTZ, optical zoom, remote viewing, config options, and all the other bells and whistles are what I enjoy as a hobby now

Question for ToolAA--
    What compression is your camera set for? Mjpeg, H.264? Do you stream http or rtsp?
    Bit rate?
    Regards--

I like the Bullseye it’s got some good features and the software is very good IMO. I still recommend it for anyone who wants an off the shelf product that just works.

I’ve been curious about analog too. When I see drone video streaming remotely from 1km away I wonder if it would be cheaper with better quality for a range cam, but I just dont know if it would work the same on the ground.

Regarding your questions. I’m not sure what format the camera transmits. Foscam has an app for the iphone and once you establish a wifi link it just works within the app. (See photo beloa). However the camera itself has a built in wen server so you can log into the camera using any browser on the same network and subnet.

59f3676c1ebad60909b345e9bed18255.jpg

As for fram rate Usually keep the settings at the higest video resolution but a frame rate of 10fps to keep the overall bandwidth as low as possible. It becomes noticeable sometimes.

hotcarl

Dec 24, 2018
    ToolAA, You look like you've put some awesome work into this...you have me jonesing for a new project now. Would you mind posting up the cad files from the windows/feet and such that you used? I'm still pretty green with 3D CAD.

Also,
    Ive heard that some are successfully using the Bullseye app with DIY cameras, I've read that you just have to force a particular IP address on the router/camera setup to jive with what the bullseye app is looking for. That said, I cant find it anywhere what IP address or address range they are using so that it sees the camera. Has anyone here had any success with this?

martin777

Dec 29, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    Thank you for your reply.
    I read the manual for your camera and it is capable of 960P (1280x960 pixels)@30fps.
    Bit rate = 2Mbs. Good enough.
    RTSP streaming = YES.:thumbsup:
    H.264 compression = YES (default).:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I wonder if streaming your live video using a different protocol (rtsp) would improve your quality and connection speed reliability?
    I think you said you lowered the frame rate with good results?
    It's not that important for what we can do below.

Here is a Bullseye camera software "brute force" simulator.
    I use VLC player on my Laptop but u can use whatever live viewer you want as long as
    it can take snapshots/screenshots of your live video and store them in a convenient place.

1. Take a shot.
    2. Take a snapshot of the live video. (shot #1)
    3. Take your next shot and another snapshot. (shot #2)
    4. Now open up your image viewer and go to the folder where the snapshots are stored.
    ------This is the cool part--->
    5. Mash the forward/back button to bounce back and forth quickly between shot#1 and shot#2.
    ------(might be able to use < and > on keyboard.)

6. Rinse and Repeat for shot #3, comparing shot #2 to shot #3, etc....

I GUARANTEE you can detect a "one holer" easily with this technique.
    Hard to do with $$$ Glass $$$.
    This is the same thing the Bullseye camera software does.
    AND if you shoot like me you can use the same target all day.:D

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ToolAA, You look like you've put some awesome work into this...you have me jonesing for a new project now. Would you mind posting up the cad files from the windows/feet and such that you used? I'm still pretty green with 3D CAD.

Also,
    Ive heard that some are successfully using the Bullseye app with DIY cameras, I've read that you just have to force a particular IP address on the router/camera setup to jive with what the bullseye app is looking for. That said, I cant find it anywhere what IP address or address range they are using so that it sees the camera. Has anyone here had any success with this?

Thanks for the interest. Here is the link to the files. https://grabcad.com/library/rangecam-v2-1

As for using the bullseye software I haven’t tried to use it with my camera. Even if it does work I’m not sure I would use it. While I think they did a good with their product they are not really features I would use often.

If you do build one post pics here and if you make any improvements let us know as well.

Good luck.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Can Admin delete these last 2 posts?
    Sorry for my sloppy fingers.

Don’t worry about the dup posts. It’s some bug with the web code. Happens to a lot of members.

I have since upgraded to a different camera which is 1080p by the way. Its the foscam R2C. Foscam R2C WiFi Camera 1080P HD, F...B07DJ5RSTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.vdkCb3S2MW9K

I still swapped out the default lens with the telephoto which really makes a huge difference when looking at tight groups.

Eventually when they release a 4k unit I may upgrade again.

martin777

Dec 29, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    As for using the bullseye software I haven’t tried to use it with my camera.

I'm not using ANY Bullseye stuff.
    I'm simply using free open source apps., one of my
    wifi security cams and my laptop to mimic what
    the Bullseye system does.

Would it be difficult to configure a PoE camera and one PoE antenna
    at target end using a PoE switch?
    Cat5 is SOOO much more better than wifi.
    Just a thought.
    I think I could get a single M2 antenna wifi setup running
    per your good instructions.

Last edited:

martin777

Dec 29, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    Changing lenses?
    I have this camera---Amcrest IP2M-841B
    Lens info HERE.
    Need to focus at say 10'-15"
    Would THESE work?
    I read that you used a 16mm which looked great but I wonder if
    it's too long and won't focus on my camera.
    For the price I guess it's worth a try, eh?

Is your new Foscam easy to change lenses?

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Also,

yes, you can. I use a linksys router and a foscam camera.

their software looks for two things: 1)the SSID of the wifi router (must be "bullseyecamxxxxxx" where xxxxxx is a number to differentiate you from another system. i.e. ssid of wifi router is bullseyecam100000 or something similar. No encryption. Camera device name should be BullseyeCamera but I am not sure if that matters and 2)IP address of camera should be static and 19.168.1.252. Client can be DHCP, it doesn't care about that.

so basic setup is:
    router ssid bullseyecam0123456 (whatever number you want)
    no wifi encryption
    router set to DHCP server for clients and IP address 192.168.1.1
    camera device name BullseyeCamera
    camera IP static 192.168.1.252
    camera set to connect to router ssid in infrastructure mode via wifi (or cable if you want)
    client PC or smartphone DHCP set to connect to wifi

range is iffy sometimes at 600 yards (as with any such system) and I have used a wifi repeater router with two antenna ports with a yagi pointed each way at about 300 yards to make the signal bulletproof (pun intended) on the firing line.

in the interest of not hijacking this thread further PM me if you want any more info

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    in the interest of not hijacking this thread further PM me if you want any more info

I don’t think it’s a hijack. I’m actually glad others can add useful info. I would encourage open discussion and I could rewrite the guide in the future to include better approaches.

Thanks.

martin777

Dec 29, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    yes, you can. I use a linksys router and a foscam camera.
    What video/frame rate are you feeding the Bullseye app?
    I have one of the first systems Bullseye came out with and it looks like 640x480 on my laptop.
    What software version are you using. I still use the old vresion.

I wonder if 1080P@30fps would bring it to its knees?

martin777

Dec 29, 2018
    Oklahoma City
    Here's another DIY target cam idea--->
    I've used this app to make a wifi IP camera out of my old Galaxy S2 phone.
    Also works on my Note 2.
    A stout wifi router could go 100 yds or better I bet.
    Better have the phone on a charger and out of the sun. S2 gets very warm.
    Needs to be very close to the target--wide angle lens.

IP Webcam

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom