• ...and so much more!
  • dremort

Jun 6, 2018
    Eastern Bloc MD

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Last ruling I read he is manufacturing a firearm doing that.

giving out the plans = manufacturing, or do you mean 3d printing = manufacturing?

i am totally naive/ignorant on 3d printing (among other things...) but how is that diff than creating or finishing off an 80% lower or the like?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    giving out the plans = manufacturing, or do you mean 3d printing = manufacturing?

i am totally naive/ignorant on 3d printing (among other things...) but how is that diff than creating or finishing off an 80% lower or the like?

The fella that was renting the CNC program so others could machine an from lower reciever from a raw forging or extrusion was considered manufacturing because those running the program did not produce the program. Hence the receiver was "sold" in digital format. BATFE said, 'No, no" to that. It is a grey area and I am sure others will be along to correct me if I am incorrect.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd much rather have good prints of the actual part which I can machine to versus a 3d printer file that I need a 3d printer to squirt out.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    People also ask
    Can 3d printers print metal?
    Earlier this month, we talked about how to print Aluminum and Titanium parts with Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) 3D printers. However, DMLS is not the only technology that lets you print metals. This time we will take a look at Indirect Metal Printing, a process which is used for our 3D-printed steel.Jul 29, 2016

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=3d+printer+metal

dremort

Jun 6, 2018
    Eastern Bloc MD
    Here's the first three sections of the README file included with the zip file.

# AR-15 Complete Reference Design Set

#### Author
    Jacob, Ivanthetroll and Kyle

#### Version

#### Description

This is, and has been, a massive project. Lots had to be done to get this model to spec, but as a result of much labor, many late nights turned early mornings, and plenty of deliberation, we have what we believe to be the most accurate complete 3D AR model in existence. Manufacturers won't share their models so we've made these for the world; the goal is to spread these as far and wide as possible. If someone had the means, we believe every part in this assembly could be made and assembled into a working firearm.

This isn't the end of this endeavour. We still need to do rifle-length parts, Pmags, potentially an A1/A2 upper, and a dynamic model (so you could play with springs) which is just nice to have.

We had to create many parts from scratch and also created blue print accurate parts based on the models in the previous DD AR-15. Everything in this assembly is believed to be good by us since most of the parts are dimensioned after original blueprints or were dimensioned after our own physical AR-15 parts.

Included is the model in different formats as well as the springs, for example the magazine spring in uncompressed form which you could use to wind your own mag spring to the correct dimensions.

By the way, if anyone has the ability to do a FOIA request for documents from the United States Library of Congress please do so for the Colt M4 Technical Data Package/Blueprints and contact @IvanTheTroll12.

**Disclaimer:** These files are meant to be used for references purposes. Many of these parts will not function properly and may pose a danger if printed in plastic.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    People also ask
    Earlier this month, we talked about how to print Aluminum and Titanium parts with Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) 3D printers. However, DMLS is not the only technology that lets you print metals. This time we will take a look at Indirect Metal Printing, a process which is used for our 3D-printed steel.Jul 29, 2016

there is the kiln sintering method
    https://www.thevirtualfoundry.com/

or the lost wax casting method by printing hollow PLA parts and letting the molten metal burn out the excess

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Accordind to a 9th CA Appellate panel (the one we make fun of here) code is speech and protected under 1A.
    https://www.eff.org/press/archives/2008/04/21-29

Now, what you choose to do with a piece of code may illegal (throwing an exploit for example) but that's a different issue.

After my last post I got to thinking about that. Like an electronic virus is protected the same way. Thank you for that.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    From the read file with the code: **Disclaimer:** These files are meant to be used for references purposes. Many of these parts will not function properly and may pose a danger if printed in plastic.

I am wondering if this is true or just a CYA move such as claiming that dangerous or possibly illegal stuff posted online is for "educational use" only.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    People also ask

What kind of dimensional tolerances can that process hold? When you sinter, you're removing the interstitial spaces between grains, plus undergoing several phase changes in the metal. I'd think you'd need to compensate for that in the design phase if the changes were deterministic enough.

Just noticed this post brings me to 1000 total. I'm spending waaayyy too much time on these forums.

Innevets

Dec 27, 2018
    DC
    I'd much rather have good prints of the actual part which I can machine to versus a 3d printer file that I need a 3d printer to squirt out.

That's asking for a lot. Considering how AR15s aren't banned, there's already a template that's readily available.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    That's asking for a lot. Considering how AR15s aren't banned, there's already a template that's readily available.

The point is a 3d file needs a 3d printer. A good set of prints just needs a machinist and some tooling. Heck, give me a good G code process with G2/3 arcs versus G1 increments and I'd be in love.

Either way you still can't beat a $40 lower other than wanting to make one yourself.

Innevets

Dec 27, 2018
    DC
    The point is a 3d file needs a 3d printer. A good set of prints just needs a machinist and some tooling. Heck, give me a good G code process with G2/3 arcs versus G1 increments and I'd be in love.

Either way you still can't beat a $40 lower other than wanting to make one yourself.

And with a 3d file one can draft it into 2d prints for machinists, create Gcode for CNC, or 3d print pressure bearing components when the technology becomes mature.

Fact is, it's a free, digital reference that enables people to do whatever they want with it and pushes it to the public domain. That is the intent behind the distribution of the free digital file.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as only for those with a 3d printer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom