• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I got a new barrel this week for an AR-10 build. It's supposed to be a Premium barrel. I notice that when I turn the barrel, you can see the crown is not even all the way around. It's wide on one side, then gets narrower on the other. Does this seem normal? Other barrels I have are consistent.

Yes, I'm asking the maker what they think. For the price ($270 list) I'd have expected it to be better.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Sorry, not yet.

The area in question has three parts: The bore, the face, and the crown. The crown is the chamfered band between the bore and the face. When you hold the barrel at an angle, shine a light on it, and turn it slowly, you can see this little band change width. The widest spot is double the size of the narrowest.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I received a new rifle with the same issue. (see image below) No chamfer on one side, and clearly visible angle cut on the other side. This is a consequence of using a reamer (poorly) to crown the barrel instead of a lathe. When it's done this way on a premium barrel, I consider it unacceptable ($5 crown on a premium barrel). That said, I thought I'd give this barrel a try before returning it.

vZtRZoy.jpg

Wouldn't you know it, it's a shooter.
    Not going back - no way.

I will, however, at some point in the future, have this POS crown job cut off, removing just enough material to get it gone.

I'd recommend you contact the barrel vendor, explain the issue and see if they will let you try it, and if it's not acceptable, then return it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    <snip>

I'd recommend you contact the barrel vendor, explain the issue and see if they will let you try it, and if it's not acceptable, then return it.

Right now I've got a ticket open with the maker. They do have an accuracy guarantee, but I'd rather not go to the trouble of installing this, and testing it, just to find out it's not okay. I'm not their Q/A guy, and the money wasted could be going towards a better barrel. This wasn't supposed to be a bargain barrel so hopefully they'll come through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom