• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I believe so, just make sure you have PROOF of having hunter safety. You can get a replacement card (I had too, funny thing though, it's dated 1900 lol. I wasn't even born then nor was my father).
    As far as meetings go you will have to attend at least two. One to be presented to the club members, the second to be voted in. After that, unless you attend 6 meetings you are not allowed to vote in elections of officers and you need 12 meetings to be an officer.

I actually do have the original card.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Great thread!
    I need to join somewhere. Driving to Fairfax to shoot, is getting old.

Any noteworthy ranges close to Fulton?

WAC Izaak Walton in Damascus.

http://www.damascusiwla.org

Let me know if you have any questions.

There's also Mt Airy Izaac Walton near I70/Rte17 interchange if that's closer.
    http://www.mtairyiwla.org/
    http://www.mtairyiwla.org/membership
    PM me and we'll see if we can meet up there on a Thursday night. Or just come for Trap and Skeet practice held every Thursday night 6-9 pm.
    Talk to the guys that hang around the picnic tables. If you're not a douche, someone will sponsor you.
    Family friendly. Kids and new shooters no problem. Not picky about what shotgun you bring, just use target shells no bigger than 7.5 shot. We don't sell ammo, you have to bring it.
    300 yard rifle range, pistol range, 8 or so Trap houses, new Skeet field. You have to take a Range Safety Officer class to use the rifle & pistol range unattended, but it's not tough.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    No , back that far, you Can't get a duplicate Hunter Safety Card .

The state only has records dating back to when HS became mandatory ( 1977 ) . The classes were around several years before , when they were recommended , but voluntary .

I'm in that situation . I took HS circa '73 , state has no accessible records, the sponsoring Club became defunct 20 some yrs ago .( I'm also Grandfathered by having had Hunting Lic before '77 .)

Just to clarify, I too am grandfathered, but Stoney Creek still requires proof of Hunter Safety. Since I could not find my original card (I actually took it during the time it was voluntary) I had to request a duplicate. Apparently, as you say the records do not go back that far, but they divined that I had taken it so they sent me a 'duplicate' card demonstrating having taken the course, except it was dated as if I had completed the course in 1900. I look pretty good for being over 119 years old! Now, if I had only stocked up on ammunition at the prices back then....

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Can I just show up at the meeting this Friday night to check out the club? I'm interested in joining but I don't know anyone there to sponsor me.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Can I just show up at the meeting this Friday night to check out the club? I'm interested in joining but I don't know anyone there to sponsor me.

Yep, meeting starts at 8PM. They start serving dinner (usually around a $ 7-10 fee) around 6:30 to 7PM. Since it gets dark earlier currently, you might want to come around 6 or 6:30 and ask if someone would show you around the range(s). Talk to some members they might be willing to sponsor. Not sure who Clutchy McClutchson is but he is active here and apparently a member there too so he might be there.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    (Responding to this thread in general)
    Must be nice arguing which is the best range to join, which is better,, you all could be like us in calvert county with NO ranges. The closest is range at Myrtle Grove WMA,, still an hour drive and typ a wait time.
    I drive up to Marriotsville for yearly qualification card,, I leave depressed because there is nothing near us.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I'm not a hunter or a fisherman, just want a range that is closer home. Will that be ok?

Not a problem. Many are hunters and they join a have a range to sight in on. For the most part during the week there are few if any members present, other than the resident caretaker who lives on the property.
    Good luck. Also AAFG in St. Margarets is close too, but they only go out to 100 yards.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    (Responding to this thread in general)
    Must be nice arguing which is the best range to join, which is better,, you all could be like us in calvert county with NO ranges. The closest is range at Myrtle Grove WMA,, still an hour drive and typ a wait time.
    I drive up to Marriotsville for yearly qualification card,, I leave depressed because there is nothing near us.

"I feel your pain" but not the Clinton way.
    St Charles Sportsmans' Club between Waldorf and LaPlata used to have a range. They lost their old range to townhouses when the Stadium was built. They failed to negotiate a deal for a lease on another property. I used to be a member and had used Myrtle Grove when the range closed.
    There is Sanner's Lake in St Mary's, but that was never an option for most people: long waiting list, no recruitment.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    So did you make it to the meeting? How was it?

Yes I went to the meeting. There were probably about 50 people that showed up. It started right on time and lasted about an hour. I met 4 of 5 members and they all seemed very friendly. I'll probably have to go to a few more meetings until I get familiar enough to ask or be asked regarding sponsorship. Not quite sure how that plays out. Any volunteers out there? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom