• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Great timing for this post. I've decided I want an AR, but I'm poor, so I'm going to build it one piece at a time as I scrounge up some cash. I figure that's a win-win, don't go into debt for a new toy, and learn a lot along the way.

I'll be getting a lower from Dan @ GC soon, then save a few months for a barrel (while waiting for my C&R to come in to get those discounts at Midway). So I'm researching barrel options now. I like the look of the varmint-style rifles the most, and I intend this rifle to be a dedicated paper puncher. I'm thinking a WOA 20" .223 Wylde 1:8 twist in SS, no flash hider/brake, I like the 'naked' look. Seems like a great compromise between cost (want to stay in the ~$300 ballpark for barrel), quality, performance, etc. Good choice or is there something better?

That's the barrel I would buy for your intended puprpose, but pay the extra 50$ and get the matched bolt. Personally though I built a varmint AR with a target crown barrel and regret it. There are so many options with brakes and flash hiders eventually you will probably get the itch to try one. Plus it's nice to not have the crosshairs jump off the target after a shot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How about weight ? Bolt carriers and buffers.
    I have the genneral concept that lighter speeds up cycling, typically for well set up and maintained high speed match guns. Heavier keeps bolt locked longer, feeds more reliably in dirty or otherwise marginnal conditions.
    What is reltionship of BC and buffer wt ? Run a standard of one annd heavy of other, or both heavy, or even mix light and heavy ?
    What about various exotic buffer systems ?

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    That's the barrel I would buy for your intended puprpose, but pay the extra 50$ and get the matched bolt. Personally though I built a varmint AR with a target crown barrel and regret it. There are so many options with brakes and flash hiders eventually you will probably get the itch to try one. Plus it's nice to not have the crosshairs jump off the target after a shot.

Matching bolt was one of the reasons I was looking at WOA.

If I got a threaded barrel to allow for a flash hider or break, would I be able to find a matching thread protector or cap or whatever to keep that nice clean look of a varmint rifle w/ target crown? Why not have my cake and eat it too?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    what a great thread!

great writeup so far! right now i'm moving on in my build to which quad rail to get and which optics to put on it. tactical innovations bdx15 billet lower, dpms lpk, dpms pardus collapseable stock, had a bushnell aimpoint knockoff red dot and not has a red head epic 3-9x40 to just d!ck around with target work more until i save enough for real optics(40% discount at basspro means good scope for cheap)...here's a photographic progression including the upper alucard loaned me, the lower i bought from continental, the lpk i bought and was thrown in by dan at gunconnection and the new upper alucard go me for xmas. new upper is a mid-length del-ton chrome lined guy that i'm still waiting to see how well it shoots(hence the scope).

For the next steps in the build i need more info on:
    * optics
    * Handguards
    * slings (prolly goin with single-point)

you guys rock!!!!:party29::party29:

photo step-by-step of build. yup, tactical innovations coating matches perfect with dti's uppers

lower.jpg

lower n upper.jpg

lower upper stock.jpg

lower upper stock lpk no bcg.jpg

new middy upper stock bcg lower crappy optics.jpg

ar done for now.jpg

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    I am looking for rails as well. I would prefer a drop in. Does anyone have a drop in recommendation?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    on the flash hiders and compensators i'm thinkin of the miculek comp... how these stack up against others. are any comps quieter than others?

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    Thanks for the nod, Bronz - I should have the rails and flash hiders info up this week. Already some good stuff posted by Russ and Jeep, though. They are dead on with the DD and Larue for the high end, and YHM for good, affordable parts. I'll flush it out a bit more in the main post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom