• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    5) If the Bolts and Firing Pins are magnetic they will pickup projectile debris from feeding and extracting on guns with marginal mahs, and ones that have rough feed geometry. This will lead to light strikes because the magnetic debris cause issues when the gun gets hot.

Other issues are companies that is .308 spec bores for the barrel instead of barrels with the proper bore. This bumps up chanber pressure and leads to chambering and extraction issues.

What causes the bolts and firing pins to become magnetized or is the manufacturer magnetizing them at the factory ?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What causes the bolts and firing pins to become magnetized or is the manufacturer magnetizing them at the factory ?

MPI or just the machining process itself can cause magnetism.

The answer is they are not degaussing parts. Lots of companies skip things because most consumers just don't know better.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I dont think so. FB is all ponies and unicorns and everything runs flawlessly all the time there.

real world (and Youtube), not so much. Mags are a notorious problem for AR 7.26x39. Getting the right ones are key. ASC mags supposedly work well, but then others not. May depend on the specs of the upper, or how it mates to the lower (there can still be slop in "milspec"). I have seen malfunctions on youtube, but not FB. I can see the light primer strike issue being a problem as well. Main #1` reason I have not bought /built a 7.62x39 AR is mags. We are mag restricted in MD and I would probably have to make a **** ton of trips out of state to find ones that work.

They came up with a 100% reliable solution to AR 7.62x39, its called 300 BLK. Same ballistics, in a cartridge that works for the AR.

I agree...FB never ceases to amaze me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ASC also makes ten round mags for these, in case you don't want to wait for your next road trip.

Except ive seen videos 10 rounders are less reliable than 30. I can only speculate the wierd bend in 7 62x39 AR mags needs more oomph from the follower to force cartridges past it. Honestly dont know, but i'm yet to be convinced to gamble $$$ on a rifle that seems likely to have problems becaus of basic design issues. If I dive in, it will be a specialized lower that takes AK mags, or M+M10x or something... or 300 blk which really is the same ballistically and 100% reliable in AR. I am not interested in being a Guinea pig. There are enough "AK ish" rifles which seem like better options, legal in MD.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They came up with a 100% reliable solution to AR 7.62x39, its called 300 BLK. Same ballistics, in a cartridge that works for the AR.

Not sure that 300 Blackout equals 7.62x39 (AK round has a bit more energy); but with all of the issues associated with shooting 7.62x39 out of an AR, 300 Blackout is still a way better option IMHO. And 300 Black seems to do well in short barrels if you want to go the way of an SBR.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Not sure that 300 Blackout equals 7.62x39 (AK round has a bit more energy); but with all of the issues associated with shooting 7.62x39 out of an AR, 300 Blackout is still a way better option IMHO. And 300 Black seems to do well in short barrels if you want to go the way of an SBR.

Every test I've seen has them equal.

Either way, I agree with you, 300blk is a better option with all the other benefits even if 7.62 has that extra bit of power.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Every test I've seen has them equal.

Either way, I agree with you, 300blk is a better option with all the other benefits even if 7.62 has that extra bit of power.

Yeah .300 shines in shorter barrels. It just doesn't need more than 9"

If you're getting anything longer than a 9" SBR or pistol it's not worth it in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom