• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012

Awesome. If only there was historical data for this, I'd definitely include it. Right now I'm thinking of making another map with present day concealed carry status (along with an actual site to hold all the visualizations I'm making), and that would include county level data for the states where it makes sense to do so. It'd be a lot like the other maps out there but it'd be zoomable and clickable and I'd make it look like the first map I did, but not animated. Instead of may issue, there'd be restrictive may-issue and permissive may-issue. This is my first gun map, everything else I've done has been for work, but it seems like there's a lot of interest in getting cool gun visualizations out there and this is my specialty so I may as well be the one to do it. And by cool, I mean expanding past Leaflet and getting more into D3.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Awesome. If only there was historical data for this, I'd definitely include it. Right now I'm thinking of making another map with present day concealed carry status (along with an actual site to hold all the visualizations I'm making), and that would include county level data for the states where it makes sense to do so. It'd be a lot like the other maps out there but it'd be zoomable and clickable and I'd make it look like the first map I did, but not animated. Instead of may issue, there'd be restrictive may-issue and permissive may-issue. This is my first gun map, everything else I've done has been for work, but it seems like there's a lot of interest in getting cool gun visualizations out there and this is my specialty so I may as well be the one to do it. And by cool, I mean expanding past Leaflet and getting more into D3.

By the time you are done with all that (whew) it will all be green, hopefully.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    By the time you are done with all that (whew) it will all be green, hopefully.

I hope so, but the first my original map took maybe three hours of coding and five hours of data gathering/validating (so in my free time, maybe a week from start to finish) so don't get your hopes up.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Nice..

Just a thought or two.

A bit slower...and maybe drop some milestones like Heller and other cases in the mix as a timeline..

Then. Even crime stats and gun ownership rates..

This could be a very powerful tool..

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Actually, that file was my data source (I credit it in the attribution in the bottom right corner of the map). I went through that gif frame by frame and marked down in an Excel document when each law change occurred for each state. My site wouldn't be possible without that gif. I just thought I could create a much better user experience to get at that data.

Excellent. Sorry, I wasn't of more help.

I like your idea and agree it could be very powerful. I mentioned it to several people at the legislative hearings in 2014. I thought it should be shown to the House and Senate committee members. I was new at that Annapolis stuff then and had only been once back in 2013.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Nice..

Just a thought or two.

A bit slower...and maybe drop some milestones like Heller and other cases in the mix as a timeline..

Then. Even crime stats and gun ownership rates..

This could be a very powerful tool..

I struggled with speed for a while, I was worried that if I went too slow the rate at which the laws changed would be a little less powerful. I'm thinking about lowering the default speed by about 100 ms and putting in a speed control, but I'm camping this weekend so probably not soon. Definitely before I release my next map though. Milestones is a good idea and I have an idea for how to implement that well.

For crime stats, I haven't seen a good study that correlates concealed carry with violent crime drops. I wouldn't want to put a dropping crime rate on the map because while the crime rate did drop, there were a lot of other factors and I don't want to imply a correlation that just doesn't seem to exist.

I kind of like how this map isn't trying to make a real political point besides that culture/laws are changing in favor of concealed carry. If I start trying to make points with numbers there's going to be a subset of people that are going to dismiss it immediately as pro-gun propaganda or throw out a hastily googled study of questionable methods that will contradict what I'm saying. Other than whether a given state is technically may-issue in a given year or something like that there's basically no way to say that this map is a political tool or wrong in some way; it's just completely objective, showing a static subset of changing laws. It shows a culture shift with the laws reflecting that shift, which is hard to argue against yet really powerful. I've posted this in a couple different places, including Reddit, and I haven't gotten one "pro-gun babykilling shill" related comment. I like that, and I think it gets the word out better than some numbers that most people will just assume are biased.

I'm going to get deeper into numbers in future visualizations, I just need to be really really careful. I'm inherently biased and these sorts of things require an unbiased lens, so I have to be extremely careful with how I approach everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom