• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Since the complete 22lr Nordic upper I want is on galactic back order I will have to build a dedicated upper for a sbr lower What I have now laying around is a stripped LMT upper, geissele MK1 10" rail and a charging handle.
    I was thinking about getting this 10.5" barrel since it is the only one I could find around that length.
    https://www.lothar-walther.com/944/ar15-carb.-l.-stainless.22lr-mud-1/2-28-unef-2a-l-10.50?c=24
    What else do I need other than a 22lr bolt carrier? Do I just get CMMG conversion kit or is there another better option?

Never built a 22lr upper before.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Here's a link for the CMMG BCG with barrel collar.

https://www.righttobear.com/CMMG-Dedicated-22-LR-Stainless-Steel-Bolt-Group-p/22ba487.htm

I also recommend a 9mm shell deflector.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/cmmg-ejection-port-cover-kit-with-deflector.html

You can use any charging handle. I modified a cheap one with silicone to prevent cases from getting stuck or you can buy the plastic CMMG AR 22 charing handle.

I also recommend the better mag adapter which add LRBHO.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52

Happy shooting. I'm curious how that barrel shoots for you when you get it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Can I suggest maybe looking at the CMMG uppers? They make some really nice 4.5" uppers. Definitely agree that the CMMG CH is a necessity - you can replace the latch on it if you want something extended.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Happy shooting. I'm curious how that barrel shoots for you when you get it.
    Thank you for the links. I will let you know how it shoots from what I have read the LW barrel is the same that was used by Spikes for their upgrade barrels and were know for their accuracy.

Can I suggest maybe looking at the CMMG uppers? They make some really nice 4.5" uppers. Definitely agree that the CMMG CH is a necessity - you can replace the latch on it if you want something extended.
    When I was looking at complete uppers I did look at CMMG but the Nordic RB22 seem to get better reviews. Also looked at the Tac Sol Kestral upper which is a bit pricey. Why do suggest 4.5" barrel? to keep all ammo subsonic? I don't have a suppressor.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    It’s really hard to beat the PSA uppers now. They’re practically at a disposable price-point. No need to worry about the gas system, just stick some JB Weld in it and call it done. It’s now a dedicated.22 upper.

Some people say the twist on a 556 upper is too fast for 22, but mine (10”) groups about 2” at 50 yards off a sandbag. That’s plenty good enough for plinking.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Just wanted to update. My SBR is a LMT MRP with the quick change barrel feature. I ended up finding a 22lr conversion kit with MRP style barrel , bcg and a bunch of mags. Thanks to everyone for the info.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Just wanted to update. My SBR is a LMT MRP with the quick change barrel feature. I ended up finding a 22lr conversion kit with MRP style barrel , bcg and a bunch of mags. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Got any pics? I have been thinking of building a dedicated .22 upper and possibly later turning into an sbr. Thanks

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Finally was able to shoot it some today. Had to replace the barrel collar which CMMG sent at no charge. They have really good customer service. It ran great except with a Brownell's mag that was thrown in the deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
      IMG_0850.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads