• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I picked up about 500 rounds of Iranian Surplus Mauser ammo here in the classifieds. My plan was to pull the components and at least reuse the bullets. I have pulled about 100 rounds, reloaded 80 and shot 60. After taking the original powder which looked good and passed a burn test, I took the average fill from 10 cases which was 45 grains. Dropped down to 40 and loaded up 40-45 with 1 grain increments looking for overpressure signs which there were none. PPU cases and CCI LR Primers. The Bullets have a HUGE crimp or canelure, not sure which but the surface below the crimp which is actually 323 is very little. When reloading them, I loaded the bullet to the new crimp was just above the old one and used a light crimp on the Lee FCD.

Bullets are FMJ non magnetic and 197-198 grains with a big boat tail on them.

At 45grains of this Iranian Powder, through my Persian Mouser, the POI elevation is nearly dead on at 50 and 100 yards. After purchasing a Persian Mauser front sight adjusting tool, it shoots as well as my eyes can handle.

(pictures to follow)

I did try to shoot the ammo w/o reloading and as expected, I got LOTS of hangfire/delay fire. I did not have any duds that I recall. But anywhere from an immediate bang to a delay of almost a full second. I even took some pulled cases w/ just the primer and set them off in the reloading room. anywhere from a bang to a fizzle. You can definitely hear the differences.

Reading some old posts that this ammo was for machine guns. I purchased a 30lb striker spring and tested it. Posts mentioned a new spring was about 22lbs?

Sure enough, the 30lb spring made a huge difference and shooting off 10 empty primed cases nearly all were a solid loud pop.

Took the Persian mauser to the range today to try the new spring and out of 15 rounds (some into the berm) I think I had 1 or 2 delay fires that were noticeable at about 1/4 second. Most were instant and there was MUCH improvement. I was not being very precise with my aiming and my groups were minute of man at 50 yards. I shoot these old milsurps with an eyepal which is most effective under good daylight so I'm sure the grouping will reduce the next time I take the ammo out. Its "tolerable" but not nearly as accurate as the reloads were.

Pulled components

6d8c2c3c536dfc79889fcd5ace7f61c3.jpg

9c3d06bb8f57baa266bb1de8895e283d.jpg

86f6a6556957b03f5626f228c3e3461b.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Original Iranian ammo with 30lb spring
    9437ac2a8d7fa4c0811a6b358aebf0a2.jpg

54ce9bcf215e54ef7f2ea177a43e8d8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will say this, the Persian Mauser made in Czechoslovakia is pretty smooth. The only reason that one shot went high is because I did not let the barrel cool for the 2nd shot. I think there is some contact with the wood causing it to vertically string some. I think this could hold even tighter with a better shooter with good eyesight at the helm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom