What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A weekend of decapping, tumbling, cleaning and swaging. I have a lot of Lake City brass that needs processing. I did about 800 rounds over the weekend and broke out the new sonic cleaner to see how that cleans the brass. Did a pretty good job. Now I'm into a rhythm of a few hundred rounds decapped standing at the bench, sitting down and watching some Prime or Netflix with the Super Swage in my lap, tossing them into the tumbler and then a couple iterations on the cleaner and let dry. Load the processed brass back into their boxes and mark them as "D,S,T,C": Decapped, Swaged, Tumbled and Cleaned. Later I'll either use them in loading sessions later or resize and trim and mark the boxes accordingly.

I am little OCD about this and I see building up component stocks ready for loading to be the goal. It is therapeutic to process brass and I am a bit of a hoarder so I like seeing dirty bags of brass come out shiny and ready for use on the other end. Heck if I keep it up I could sell processed brass and make a little money at it if the ammunition shortage remains like this for the foreseeable future. A lot of folks don't want to deal with military brass. I'll take all I can get my hands on right now. I have a few thousand more pieces of once-fired on order.

Matt

Once my Lee App swage kit shows up I am all over military brass. Until then it stays separate though.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Once my Lee App swage kit shows up I am all over military brass. Until then it stays separate though.

I'm debating taking a purple sharpie to the heads of every 223 I have loaded just so that when I pick them up, I know I don't have to swage them again. Cause I HATE swaging.
    Anyone else try to sort out range pick ups vs their reloads?

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I'm debating taking a purple sharpie to the heads of every 223 I have loaded just so that when I pick them up, I know I don't have to swage them again. Cause I HATE swaging.

Yes sir. :thumbsup:

That’s standard SOP for me. I’ve also been known to turn down the adjustable gas block so the brass don’t run away. :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I load mainly CCI 450 primers.

They are silver.

Mil primers are brass colored.

So silver primers have been swaged, brass primers probably have not been.

I just got a Lee APP, so swaging will be less of a chore. And if I reswage some, no big deal.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I stared at it longingly while rebuilding an axle since I have no small pistol or rifle primers I can only sit down and pretend

Brass prep...

I am about 1/3 of the way through all the piles of brass I collected since the last dark era. By the time these dark times are over, I’ll have a hoard of shiny, ready to load brass instead of a hoard of dirty garbage. :lol2:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I load mainly CCI 450 primers.

They are silver.

Mil primers are brass colored.

So silver primers have been swaged, brass primers probably have not been.

I just got a Lee APP, so swaging will be less of a chore. And if I reswage some, no big deal.

Hmm, never thought about that.

I didn’t think about marking cases. Not sure how I’ll go about it. Might not be the worst on reswaging the same case. But rather just stacking stuff separately and only processing through new Mil brass. The lee app laws stuff fast, but it isn’t a zero time activity.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD

Brass can be marked with a cheapo engraving tool. Almost all my cases are identified by alpha-numerical engraving. The engraving becomes somewhat less distinct with use but is still visible after MANY reloadings.

FGAPhMQ.jpg

Sometimes I add a magic marker identifier for easy reading at the range.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Brass prep...

I am about 1/3 of the way through all the piles of brass I collected since the last dark era. By the time these dark times are over, I’ll have a hoard of shiny, ready to load brass instead of a hoard of dirty garbage. :lol2:

Got 3000 9mm cases prepped and waiting. Everything else I use is all loaded.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    finally bolted my table to the wall. processed some 223 brass though awaiting a dillon primer pocket swager. over the long weekend finished loading up 2k 124g 9mm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Brass can be marked with a cheapo engraving tool. Almost all my cases are identified by alpha-numerical engraving. The engraving becomes somewhat less distinct with use but is still visible after MANY reloadings.

Sometimes I add a magic marker identifier for easy reading at the range.

Let's see, I will toss a case for being creased, and you want to cut into the case????

Making a thinner spot and creating stress risers?

Nope, not for me.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    For those that are commenting on etching an identifier on cases that have no firsthand knowledge or experience with this, I do not recommend using this method! And certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion . . .

For others - for your consideration - I have been marking cases like this for 6PPC, 30BR, 22-250, 22-250 Ackley, .223 Wylde, 224 Valkyrie, 6.5x55Swedish, 6.5CM, .308, 22BR, 6BR, 221Fireball, even 6.5x300 Weatherby-Wright Hoyer (not the current 6.5x300 Weatherby) etc. for about three decades with NO ISSUES. While I generally find precision nodes and load well below book maximums, I have loaded etched cases hot enough to pierce primers and send primer metal into the firing pin hole (not often - the rest of that load gets dismantled!) NO ISSUES. Virtually all of my cases are marked this way, including (especially) cases shot in sanctioned competition from 100 to 600 yards.

PS - If you read my posts you will note I try not to tell people what is a "better" or "correct" or "best" way to do things. I try to relate my experiences, usually with an explanation of why I do something the way I do, and suggest others consider the information.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Another 500 small rifle primers wasted. :innocent0

55gr FMJ 5.56 Nato :party29:

I’ll do another 500 tomorrow.

Attachments

• 50757DED-B61B-4D4C-8DC9-9BF4E05F3CAA.jpg
      50757DED-B61B-4D4C-8DC9-9BF4E05F3CAA.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 143
    For those that are commenting on etching an identifier on cases that have no firsthand knowledge or experience with this, I do not recommend using this method! And certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion . . .

For others - for your consideration - I have been marking cases like this for 6PPC, 30BR, 22-250, 22-250 Ackley, .223 Wylde, 224 Valkyrie, 6.5x55Swedish, 6.5CM, .308, 22BR, 6BR, 221Fireball, even 6.5x300 Weatherby-Wright Hoyer (not the current 6.5x300 Weatherby) etc. for about three decades with NO ISSUES. While I generally find precision nodes and load well below book maximums, I have loaded etched cases hot enough to pierce primers and send primer metal into the firing pin hole (not often - the rest of that load gets dismantled!) NO ISSUES. Virtually all of my cases are marked this way, including (especially) cases shot in sanctioned competition from 100 to 600 yards.

PS - If you read my posts you will note I try not to tell people what is a "better" or "correct" or "best" way to do things. I try to relate my experiences, usually with an explanation of why I do something the way I do, and suggest others consider the information.

You could always color your brass. This article has instructions on how to DYE brass into different shades

http://www.homegunsmith.com/archive/T7360.html

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not really at my reloading bench, but I emptied 50 38spc and 20 9mm reloads at the range. And shot about another 50 rounds of 9mm Wolf steel and FC.

Well and some Wolf and Barnaul 7.62x39 through an SKS I put up in the classifieds (checking function before I sell it).

Testing out a new G34 slide on my 17 frame (and shoot my old Colt). Shot like a dream! I like my G17, but I think I light love a 34. The extra length and bit of extra weight makes recoil that much less (not that 9 is super strong) and the extra sight radius is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom