• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'd call DNR and share the picture with them. Maybe they could get you a tag for it so that you wouldn't have to use one of yours.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I am not going to profess I have THE answer, alot will depend on your circumstances. I kinda try to go by the do unto others..... even with animals, even when hunting.

Couple years ago, when I had my own land to hunt. On my way into the wooded area I happened upon a doe that looked to be gut shot and her rear leg was trapped in a fence row. Could not stand and run away. No way I was going to be able to free her either. I shot her in the head with my ML and continued on my way.
    I did it only so she would not be eaten alive.(Coyote) I did not like it a bit. I also did not tag her. I supposed that for one, I did not want to eat her, and didn't think it right to take it to a food bank. Some claim stress introduces horomones into the muscles and makes it taste like crap. IDK. I only share this to illustrate my point.

Two broken ankles, she will likely not make it through the winter. She is not unduly stressed so I would harvest and drop at a food bank if you don't need the meat.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    ^This. I came upon a buck earlier this year that had its antlers stuck in a fence. It wasn't moving so I approached slowly to see if it was alive. It was dead and most of one side of it and its eyes were eaten. There were lots of eagle feathers on the ground. I'm sure it was horrible for the deer.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    I think anyone with with a sense of decency would want to put the animal down, however be careful. A neighbor of mine knew of someone who put a similar deer down, and neighbors had him arrested for discharging a firearm too close to dwellings. Eventually got things straightened out, but cost in the neighborhood of $5k in legal fees.

So if you do, make sure you know your neighbors well if you have them nearby. I'd call DNR or police to dispatch the animal where I live as too many houses near by.

I've got a 5 point that just showed up on camera in my back yard a few nights ago walking on three legs. A neighbor said he saw a young buck get hit by a car nearby, but it was able to get to his feet and into the woods. Probably same one....that time of the year with the boys going crazy.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Personally I would contact DNR to have them log it, and possibly dispatch it if necessary. I'd also strongly consider contacting DNR if something like chronic wasting disease(CWD) is prevalent in your area.
    This^^. They might want to test to see if this deer has any disease.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Got this guy on my trail cam Friday walking through my food plot at lunch time. If I see him in my sights he is getting culled.

Attachments

• 3 legger.jpg
      3 legger.jpg
      101.4 KB · Views: 214
    • 3 legger 2.jpg
      3 legger 2.jpg
      103.8 KB · Views: 213

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think he has pretty good genetics actually. The missing left leg is the reason for the deformed right antler. That's how it works. An unjury behind the front shoulder on a buck will result in antler deformity on the opposite side of the body. Left leg gone-right antler deformed. His other antler looks fine. He will eat good though. :D

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Got this guy on my trail cam Friday walking through my food plot at lunch time. If I see him in my sights he is getting culled.
    looks decent to me...and healthy considering.

I think he has pretty good genetics actually. The missing left leg is the reason for the deformed right antler. That's how it works. An unjury behind the front shoulder on a buck will result in antler deformity on the opposite side of the body. Left leg gone-right antler deformed. His other antler looks fine. He will eat good though. :D
    Yep Ive heard that too. I think the buck that I shot and got away was on my game camera this year. same thing opposite side antler was messed up of where I shot it with the bow. Im just guessing it was him since its in the same area.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have never heard that before, good info. I do agree, except for the injury that he is fairly healthy. His good side antler is very high and well developed and his body looks pretty good. I am wondering if he can survive a cold winter though. It's too bad because he would most likely be a hell of a good looking buck with 4 legs and matching horns.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never heard that before, good info. I do agree, except for the injury that he is fairly healthy. His good side antler is very high and well developed and his body looks pretty good. I am wondering if he can survive a cold winter though. It's too bad because he would most likely be a hell of a good looking buck with 4 legs and matching horns.
    Hell, he survived last winter, I'd wager.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    A three legged deer can do quite well. My parents had one bedding on their property for 3-4 years. We saw the broken leg, likely the result of a car crash. The leg fell off a year later but the buck lived on.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

He will survive the winter unless he gets hit by an arrow, bullet, vehicle, etc. His genetics look good enough to allow him to mate with does. Question is whether he can actually mate with does (i.e., can he fend off other bucks such that he can maintain a territory, can he actually commit the physical act).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am not going to profess I have THE answer, alot will depend on your circumstances. I kinda try to go by the do unto others..... even with animals, even when hunting.

Couple years ago, when I had my own land to hunt. On my way into the wooded area I happened upon a doe that looked to be gut shot and her rear leg was trapped in a fence row. Could not stand and run away. No way I was going to be able to free her either. I shot her in the head with my ML and continued on my way.
    I did it only so she would not be eaten alive.(Coyote) I did not like it a bit. I also did not tag her. I supposed that for one, I did not want to eat her, and didn't think it right to take it to a food bank. Some claim stress introduces horomones into the muscles and makes it taste like crap. IDK. I only share this to illustrate my point.

Two broken ankles, she will likely not make it through the winter. She is not unduly stressed so I would harvest and drop at a food bank if you don't need the meat.

This is pretty much the answer to the OP. It really does come down to how the animal looks as the season progresses. If it looks like he is going down hill, versus whether he is putting on weight. This winter is supposed to be pretty mild, so he might be able to make it through it if he is on the mend. Just not a lot of fat reserves on him to help if the weather gets bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom