Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM #131

I would submit that aside from a few select manufacturers that have fielded them, the 308 AR isn’t really a battle rifle. For instance the ruger sr762 I had dis not have a user serviceable piston rod. I think this would disqualify it from being a “battle rifle.” Requiring a punch and overly specific tools/ knowledge to maintain a system makes it a no go. But it also wasn’t built to be a “battle rifle.”

A 308 anything isn’t going to be super light. 8-9 lbs is pretty much where it is going to start. I described this earlier so won’t again.
Jollyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyllama View Post
I would submit that aside from a few select manufacturers that have fielded them, the 308 AR isn’t really a battle rifle. For instance the ruger sr762 I had dis not have a user serviceable piston rod. I think this would disqualify it from being a “battle rifle.” Requiring a punch and overly specific tools/ knowledge to maintain a system makes it a no go. But it also wasn’t built to be a “battle rifle.”

A 308 anything isn’t going to be super light. 8-9 lbs is pretty much where it is going to start. I described this earlier so won’t again.
I can’t claim to have messed with many AR-10s...but the DI ones I’ve examined appear to be any more difficult to Field strip and maintain than an AR-15. Yes, .308 semi-autos are typically not ideal for a battle rifle any more. They are used as DMR rifles mostly where their extra range is needed.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM #133
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyllama View Post

If you look at the history of the AR pattern rifles, you might change your mind. The only reason why the AR15 is around, is due to the Air Force not wanting a 308. The AR was originally built around a 308 cartridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM #134
Insane in the mainframe

Insane in the mainframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I can’t claim to have messed with many AR-10s...but the DI ones I’ve examined appear to be any more difficult to Field strip and maintain than an AR-15. Yes, .308 semi-autos are typically not ideal for a battle rifle any more. They are used as DMR rifles mostly where their extra range is needed.
The AR10 tears down the same as any AR15, with the possibility of a few changes, depending on the pattern. The Rock River LAR-8 BCG does not require you to rotate the cam pin to pull it out of the carrier. Other AR10 patterns, may have something similar in the tear down process, but by no means are they more difficult to field strip and maintain. All you are realistically dealing with is larger parts. That is realistically the only real difference, between an AR10 and an AR15 from a basic consumer standpoint.

If you would like to link up one day and see how hard it is to tear down a RRA LAR-8, all you have to do is say the word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles